Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RAW Superthread

• 03-10-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Raw2016Logo-500x281.jpg

It's that time of the bastard week again..

Much like Smackdown Live, setting up a RAW superthread, as the weekly thread doesn't get much traction..

Preview for tonight's RAW live from Los Angeles.

Sasha Banks challenges Charlotte one-on-one

Will Seth Rollins continue to defy Raw General Manager Mick Foley?

Cesaro & Sheamus continue their tag team quest

Can Brian Kendrick put himself in line for another WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match?

Will Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson top “The List of Jericho”?

SKY SPORTS 5 - 01:00 am

Whatculture WTF Moments tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No interest in RAW at the moment I'll watch it on fast forward tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And I was gonna add to the list with "Do we care?"

Raw has become more of a chore than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

14 mins in and no authority figures.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like Reigns vs Rusev at Hell in a Cell. I don't feel having Reigns knock the guy out cold and stand tall over him was a great way to set that up.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Looks like Reigns vs Rusev at Hell in a Cell. I don't feel having Reigns knock the guy out cold and stand tall over him was a great way to set that up.

In fairness, the HIAC match is being used correctly here as it looks like its being set up the finish the feud between Reigns and Rusev. Plus, Reigns had a great Cell match with Wyatt last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Guessing the women's match will be the main event.

In fairness, the HIAC match is being used correctly here as it looks like its being set up the finish the feud between Reigns and Rusev. Plus, Reigns had a great Cell match with Wyatt last year.

I don't mind that they're having the match; I didn't like how they presented it. Reigns knocked the guy out cold and stood over him for a full minute or so. Rusev looked pretty finished right there and then.

You could have had the refs run out to keep the guys apart with the idea being that they have to go to the Cell to end it once and for all. Or have them brawl all over the arena with the idea being that only the Cell can contain the two men.

Instead they gave us Reigns standing tall over his opponent who was decisively beaten. Why should I care about them in a Cell now?

On a happier note, my man Kendrick won. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Great way to make your champion look strong. Last week fans got bored of his match so this week they have him tap out to Kendrick. Surely they could have found any other cruiserweight for Kendrick to beat.

Great way to make your champion look strong. Last week fans got bored of his match so this week they have him tap out to Kendrick. Surely they could have found any other cruiserweight for Kendrick to beat.

I think the idea was that Kendrick cheated by raking the eyes, but the announcers didn't really play that up. I agree though that he shouldn't have tapped. I feel babyfaces tap out a lot more these days than they did a decade ago. Maybe that's my imagination I dunno.

Strowman's promo was decent I thought.

I enjoyed the New Day/Jeri-KO segment.

Please don't tell me Sami is going to have to put over Titus? :(

Thank goodness. Weird though they had Titus do an inset promo for his 'Titus brand' and then jobbed him out straight away. But Sami shouldn't be losing to him.

• Advertisement

Oh man, i nearly woke the house lolling at Woods' burn on Owens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There was 8 matches last night.

4 of them were enhancement matches (Sami/Titus, Gallows/Anderson vs Golden Truth, Strowman's squash and Cesaro/Sheamus squash). By "enhancement match", I mean they seemed to serve no purpose to a story, but were seemingly only to have one person look good by beating another. If you missed the matches, you missed absolutely nothing.

And that's ignoring Swan/Nese, which was more pure filled with no story involved. Their purpose was to fill time.

So we're two weeks out from a PPV, and 5 of the 8 matches on display had no actual purpose with regards building towards the PPV.

Upside, I did enjoy the tag match (Jericho/Owens, as usual, being the highlight of the show, and bringing out the best in the New Day), the title switch was a good moment with, you know, consequences! And I don't mind the ending to Perkins/Kendrick cause it's obviously a storyline device building to a title match, and planting doubt in fans' minds that Perkins can win.

It's just....jesus, there's a lot of filler. And I don't buy the "three hours instead of two" nonsense either. It's laziness on WWE's part, because they are only interested in building three stories on Raw, and after that, everyone else just gets squash matches.

We're also one show left before the PPV, and we know ONE MATCH (Rusev vs Reigns). No idea of the main event, no idea of the tag title match (is it Cesaro/Sheamus or Gallows/Anderson facing the New Day? Or are we now doing Owens/Jericho as well?), no undercard. We can make reasonable guesses about some (Perkins/Kendrick, possible Seth/Owens if Seth is fit), but with 2 weeks to go, it would be nice if we had some confirmations....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Actually, there's three shows until the next Raw PPV, it's on the 30th. But I do agree with your point, that the booking feels slapdash a lot of the time for the PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

how come they keep doing the title changes on raw when instead of ppvs especially with hell in a cell in boston

sky88 wrote: »
    how come they keep doing the title changes on raw when instead of ppvs especially with hell in a cell in boston

I like it when the title changes hands on Raw but they are kinda over doing it with the woman's championship having Sasha win it twice in two months on Raw especially with Hell in a Cell on in Boston.

I like it when the title changes hands on Raw but they are kinda over doing it with the woman's championship having Sasha win it twice in two months on Raw especially with Hell in a Cell on in Boston.

Thats more what i meant strange they did it twice with sasha now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Angron wrote: »
    Actually, there's three shows until the next Raw PPV, it's on the 30th. But I do agree with your point, that the booking feels slapdash a lot of the time for the PPVs.

Oh, that's entirely my bad. I had it in my head it was next weekend. That does make some of my points a bit moot, with regards not knowing the card.

Doesn't excuse 5 matches out of 8 being filler though....
    sky88 wrote: »

At a guess, they seem to be making a big deal out of the fact Charlotte hasn't lost on PPV (is that lost overall, or just in title matches. Not sure). It's also lazy writing; they don't have the ability to map out an actual storyline, so they switch the title every time it starts to drag to add excitement to the feud.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Oh, that's entirely my bad. I had it in my head it was next weekend. That does make some of my points a bit moot, with regards not knowing the card.

You're thinking of next weeks Smackdowns No Mercy ppv which is on the 9th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd blame the PPVs all being so close together right now :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »

At a guess, they seem to be making a big deal out of the fact Charlotte hasn't lost on PPV (is that lost overall, or just in title matches. Not sure). It's also lazy writing; they don't have the ability to map out an actual storyline, so they switch the title every time it starts to drag to add excitement to the feud.

Shes never lost at all at ppvs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Want Dr Selby to work things out between Sheamus and Cesaro.

Hug it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Really enjoyed this Raw.

The ultimate highlight was when Cesaro threw Sheamus' gear bag out of the car and Sheamus says ''Ya cheeky b*astard, you're melting me bleedin' head''.

Definitely an improvement on the last few weeks, which is good to see.

Still a number of things that were slightly annoying - like when The Club smashed up Goldust after their match, Cole was announcing how they were "making a statement". No. They were being heels - they just assaulted a man. Be disgusted, be angry, demand justice for their actions. Help the guys get over!

I was also disgusted at the chat about a ****ing Netflix series while a match was going on. Way to give the match meaning.

I also don't like that Steph/HHH look set to be integral in Rollins' continuing face turn. He can get himself over as a baby a million times, just leave him alone to be himself and feud with KO or whoever has the title.

Also, and I want to make sure I remember this correctly - Cesaro and Sheamus were forced to team up because Mick Foley wants to impress Stephanie McMahon. Riiiiight.... Giant 'who cares' about that storyline.

But oh how you forget everything that's wrong in the world when Jericho and KO are on the mic. Great to see them given a non-authority-poisoned segment to verbally spar with (and bring the best out of) New Day, and have it build to a match. That burn on KO by Woods is probably my favourite promo moment of the year, so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

They really struggle to use Reigns as a face. The crowd chant USA USA as he comes out as the US champ but instead of going the patriotic face route he goes the smug git route and then Lana who is super over comes out only for her to once again laugh in her face about how he messed up her wedding celebration. It's like they want to keep him getting mixed reactions instead of getting over

Gallows & Anderson were described as: "Dominant" and "running roughshod over the tag division" yet all I can remember from them before this show was seemingly a never ending run of loses to the New Day.

well at least them winning here was a stp in the right direction.

From the moment they said the womens match was the main event and referenced Trish and Lita etc it felt like it could be a big night for Sasha esp as it also means Charlotte does not have the loss on PPV and mess up her title defenses on PPV record while it also means they can book Charlotte vs Sasha in another title (re) match for the next Raw PPV.

Jeri-KO were all over the show so that def improved things.
    Ashton & Masterson were actually decent on commentary / their interaction with Jeri-ko too

I feel bad about how much I just think ugghh when the Susan Kolman stuff starts, they really shouldn't do it and Conors cure 1 after another as that one is so much more suitable for the show but I guess Enzo & Cass did a decent job with their sctick to keep it ok.

The Kendrik / TJP match was decent for the cruiserweights as it had a storyline for the Raw crowd and will probably lead to the next title match but I was worried for Swann Vs Nese as unless they really had an incredible match the crowd were not given any reason to care about the match that had nothing on the line in it. Thankfully the crowd weren't dicks though and gave em a chance (no CM Punk type chants).

2 Raw's in a row with no Nia Jax... odd but I guess they couldn't have another squash after the Braun & Cesaro/Sheamus ones - too many people on Raw need protecting, I mean Bayley & Bo were having squash matches last week.

Main event time and we get a promo that goes back 2 years... for a Raw main event... they are so building to a big moment and a title switch. This also feels like a proper main event because of that feeling that maybe a title might change hands, maybe I shouldn't switch over cos I might miss something big... that said they have had better matches and there was one weird botch on the outside but it was a really good match, the crowd were into it (this is wrestling chant) and yes a big moment was delivered plus (even though there is almost zero contact Charlotte's moonsaults - this time corkscrew- to the outside do look great)

actually a really good Raw although the past few weeks and the 3 hour lenght made me not care as much as it was happening. Hope they can keep that standard up and maybe that will change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As bounty says a proper main event. There are a 5 titles on raw now so no need to end every raw with a throwaway tag or whatever booked an hour before close of show

Its great to see the girls come this far, charlotte could be the biggest star in the company if they get behind her 100% and have her continue to mainevent raw and later mainevent ppvs. She sure carries herself more as a star than roman reigns right now and he has mainevented two wrestlemanias in a row

rossie1977 wrote: »
    As bounty says a proper main event. There are a 5 titles on raw now so no need to end every raw with a throwaway tag or whatever booked an hour before close of show

Its great to see the girls come this far, charlotte could be the biggest star in the company if they get behind her 100% and have her continue to mainevent raw and later mainevent ppvs. She sure carries herself more as a star than roman reigns right now and he has mainevented two wrestlemanias in a row

Thats actually a great point to be fair. roman even on outside interviews doesn't carry himself great but charlotte has in the good morning america segments after mania and summerslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Charlotte's corkscrew moonsault was pretty class.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Also the Raw womens division is about to get better and less repetitive. I didn't get this in the version of Raw I saw but Emma(lina) is coming back! and seemingly they will be showing off her hotness even more now

calm down TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

That corkscrew was ballsy af but she didn't even look behind herself to check Sasha's position. Good thing she half landed on her feet. She needs to be a lot more careful if she goes for it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Another dull raw where not much happened besides a title change that was flagged well in advance.

I was going to bed before Raw and saw someone on twitter saying Lita had said that Charlotte and Sasha were headlining Raw. Immediately I thought they were doing a title change. So it was obvious.

Then you see the buildup during Raw then it was even more obvious.

Be great if they announced a 4 Horsewomen group to make it epic instead or something surprising!

Charlotte does a great corkscrew but it missed completely. Thank god Sasha moved a bit closer to save it a small bit.

Raw lurches from one thing to the next every week where they seem to take stabs hoping to get huge ratings. In a few weeks time, I wouldn't be surprised if Bayley won the title for another 'historic' moment.

They have great talent at their disposal right now but the storylines and what they are doing with them are atrocious.

There are so many guys going nowhere.As someone here said its like they are not even trying to get Roman back as a full face.Just turn him heel and go from there.

The main problem is Nothing ever happens. Then they wonder why ratings are low.
    If you were telling someone what happened in this Raw, all you would say it that Sasha won the title.Its good as you are happy for her but not that she beat the evil Charlotte. It's just more that she made it to the top than anything else.

I love wrestling but have very little interest in Raw these days. I used to stay up and watch it live all the time but now would never do that. Because Nothing ever happens.

At least they did something last night but they need everyone doing something surprising or progressing their story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement