Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative Daughter

• 13-02-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey. In a particular 1911 household census of an ancestor of mine, on one of the members, under "relation to head" it says "Relative Daughter"
    Has anyone else seen this before or know what it means?
    It appears as follows.

Tim 33 Head of Family
    Sheila 32 Wife
    James 10 Son
    Mary 9 Daughter
    Eugene 2 Son
    Margaret 76 Mother
    HANNAH 6 RELATIVE DAUGHTER
    Richard 40 Servant

The fact that Hannah above is listed after the head's mother and other children, and not in the right order would suggest that she was not a daughter to the head? When i looked into the picture of the household return it is very easy to see that it indeed says "relative daughter" in the spot. The writing is very clear!

Any ideas folks?
    The obvious answer would be a relative'S daughter, but i'm not so sure?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone didn't know the word niece, I presume.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

L1011 wrote: »
    Someone didn't know the word niece, I presume.

Agree.

A relatives daughter was my guess

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know you're a new poster, so if you want to pm me the link, I'll add it to the post.

I agree it's probably relative's daughter. People often used the word relative for those outside the immediate family, i.e. a cousin might be down as relative or an aunt/uncle.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sheepintheback

Thanks guys! Im after finding a birth record which shows that she does indeed appear to be a niece to the head!

Thanks Pinkypinky but now that its sorted a link wont be necessary! Thanks though!

Advertisement