Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Smart Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

Started getting emails from that site an hour after looking at it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I've ordered the Hub, 2 X Door/ Window Sensors & 2 x Button for a total of €55. I'll be the guinea pig for the forum I guess :)

I'll report back on my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

I guess I'll be the gerbil then! Just took delivery of a gateway, couple of switches, three pir sensors and have some yeelights to setup too. Just waiting on a pi3 to run domoticz to arrive and then the fun begins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Interested in the outcome here...seem like great value products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ShRT wrote: »
    I guess I'll be the gerbil then! Just took delivery of a gateway, couple of switches, three pir sensors and have some yeelights to setup too. Just waiting on a pi3 to run domoticz to arrive and then the fun begins!

How are you finding the gateway when it's plugged in to the socket? Is it protruding a good but with the adaptor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Interested in this Xiaomi setup too, especially the sensors and PIR, wonder is there a smart alarm system that they could be hooked into?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

How are you finding the gateway when it's plugged in to the socket? Is it protruding a good but with the adaptor?

Haven't taken it out of the box yet! Just ordered the pi 3 the other day so when that arrives I'll probably start into it in earnest. Looking at the pics it will stick out a bit alright but i don't see it being a big issue as it will be static in the wall in an out of the way place.

What i do have an issue with is the E27 to bayonet adapters for the yeelight bulbs. The bulbs are a bit weighty and i have a lamp as a test bed for setting up the bulbs. When upright in the lamp it's inclined to lean over to the side a little. I'll probably swap a lot of my fixtures over to E27 i think

So I finally took deliver of the Xiaomi gear yesterday and promptly got started setting everything up.

One mistake i made was setting the Xiaomi app to US instead of Mainland China. It doesnt work unless the location is set to Mainland China.

Once I got the hub plugged in and paired I added one of the door/window sensors to the hub. These things are *tiny*. I've never seen a door sensor so small. Here is a picture vs my Aeotec Z-Wave door sensor (€50) for comparison:
    kHJe5Cpm.jpg
    Once I got that setup and working with the Xiaomi Hub I decided to start trying to link it into Home Assistant. I did so using this custom component .
    It was a remarkably painless process and I was able to set up a simple light on/light off automation in no time.

I also got 2 of the buttons and set up one of them. You can assign actions to single, double & long press. Again setup was very simple and the Home Assistant integration is first class. I'm still trying to figure out the best use-case for these at the moment so I'm not actively using them.
    Remarks:
    • This gear is serious value for money. I paid €6 for a door & window sensor and €6 for a button!
    • The range on the Xiaomi hub is very good. I have mine buried in my network cabinet in my attic and it works flawlessly anywhere downstairs. I suspect it may be amplified by the hue bulbs I have everywhere as they both use ZigBee & hue bulbs act as repeaters although I'm not sure if the hue bulbs only repeat the signal from their own bridge or if they'll repeat any ZigBee signal.
    • The response time is super fast. Much faster then the Z-Wave door sensor I have. I have the door sensor on my closet so the light turns on when you open it and off when you close it and it's so quick I cannot see the light turn on at all.
    • How are you finding the gateway when it's plugged in to the socket? Is it protruding a good but with the adaptor?
      Yes it does protrude quite a bit with the adapter on it & the hub itself is bulky enough. It's not an issue for me as I have it buried in a cabinet but may be an issue depending on where you are installing it
    Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. It's great to finally stumble across something that's decent quality and cheap in the HA world!
    Next on the list is an Aqara Wall Switch! :D

Any questions just shout!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cool, a few questions:

- Is the window/door sensor a magnetic open/close only sensor or does it also have vibration sensor (someone breaking a window)?

- Is the wall switch wired into an existing wall switch (replacing it)?

If yes, then I wonder if it could be used with Hue lights? I'd be interested to see how you get on with this.

bk wrote: »
    Cool, a few questions:

- Is the window/door sensor a magnetic open/close only sensor or does it also have vibration sensor (someone breaking a window)?

- Is the wall switch wired into an existing wall switch (replacing it)?

If yes, then I wonder if it could be used with Hue lights? I'd be interested to see how you get on with this.

- The door/windows sensor is magnetic so doesn't detect vibration (as far as i'm aware)

-They come in two flavors, a wireless version which is battery powered and acts like a hue dimmer switch of sorts. The second one actually replaces the physical switch and provides local control of the light. The 2 paddle version is interesting as you can control on/off from one paddle & then set a scene using the other paddle. I'm going to get one of these to control a switch that controls a hue light. I'll still have the issue of the light coming on 100% brightness when power is restored.

Another option is to use the wireless version and hardwire the light to always be on. The switch (86mm x 86mm) looks like it will cover the opening created by a irish/uk switch (85mm x 85mm) unlike the hue dimmer.

EDIT: I found this guide for modifying the button to convert it to a wall switch. The idea being you hardwire the light to be always live and control the hue bulb via the local switch. I gave it a go and it seems to work great on a momentary switch i had lying around. Just need to solder it on and install, but i'll report back on how it goes

• Advertisement

Just ordered a few more bits to expand this setup:
    €80 for the lot which is stupidly cheap. The wired aqara switch is going to be used to swap out a z-wave dimmer that cost €50 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd be interested in a few of the window sensors now after reading your comments.

Do you need a hub for those to work? I can't seem to find one on the Gearbest site.

eamonnq wrote: »

Not just available on Gearbest ( I really don't like Gearbest!! ) :P
    That's fair enough. I generally found gearbest to be cheapest and have never had any hassle with delivery etc.

I'm thinking of the window/door sensors because our house alarm has no window sensors so these would be a nice addition.

If the sensor connection is broken do you get a notification through the app?
    You do need the hub for all these sensors to work.
    Yes you can use the Mi Home app to send you a notification if any of the sensors are triggered.
    It does also have an in-built alarm system that you can arm like a traditional alarm (away,home etc) however i don't use the mi home app as i have all the sensors connected into Home Assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

Tempted with these so have a few questions Beanian if you don't mind?
    Particularly keen on covering all windows that kids can reach internally with sensors.

What are they like to pair with Smartthings or HA?
    I've read mixed reports that they are stable once paired, but a dogs mother to setup initially.

Do updates to either ST/HA cause issues with integration?

Can the gateway be accessed by ST/HA? I'd look at using it as an internal siren or doorbell chime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fantastic prices on these.

Just a pity that they aren't better integrated with other HA ecosystems. No IFTTT/Yonomi/Stringify/Alexa/GHome. Makes them much more less useful unless you are already using HomeAssistant.

It would be great if they could at least add IFTTT, it is really straight forward and would offer indirect support for all of the above.

paulbok wrote: »
    Tempted with these so have a few questions
    What are they like to pair with Smartthings or HA?
    You pair them with the hub usingthe Mi Home app and then reboot home assistant and thats it! Really easy to pair.
    Do updates to either ST/HA cause issues with integration?
    No. I jumped from HASS 0.35 to 0.41 in one go and it didnt affect the integration at all.
    Can the gateway be accessed by ST/HA? I'd look at using it as an internal siren or doorbell chime.
    Speaking from a HASS point of view you can play sounds over the speaker thats built into the hub and also control the light that's built into it.
    Check out the component here. It also supports the cube which looks like a quirky device (similar to ikeas motion dimmer) that i might try out for the craic

Ok so a bit of an update:
    I took delivery of a couple of the Aqara Wireless switches and also 1 of the wired. They both work over ZigBee.
    My main use case for the Wireless ones was to replace the existing wall switch where the switch controls a hue bulb. I would hard-wire the light to always be on and replace it with this so you can locally control the light without cutting power.

These lights fit Irish/UK switch sizes perfectly.It's not obvious with the wireless version but you can drill out 2 holes in the backing plate and screw it into the backbox, and again these all line up perfectly with our back boxes, see the photos below of my install
    Here you can see the location of the 2 holes i drilled
    ay2cjaX.png

Mounted up on wall
    7K3snXL.png?1

Front plate attached
    kMEQax2.png

The wireless switches responsiveness is on-par with a Hue Dimmer.

The wired version i installed in my kitchen to control two spot bars. It can control 2 loads (dual paddle) and doesn't require a neutral.
    However i wired it so one paddle toggles both spot bars and the other toggles the under cabinet hue strips(wirelessly)
    The wired version offers serious value for money, this replaces a €50 z-wave dimmer switch as i get more functionality out of it.

However, it's not all sunshine & roses :(. I have noticed drop signals from the wireless switches - I would say 1 time in 20 you would press the button and the lights would not respond and from looking at the logs the signal never made it back to the hub.
    It's not a major issue for us at the moment however it is something I want to iron out. I should note where I have installed these switches is a fair distance from the Xiaomi hub which lives in a network cabinet in my attic.
    I'm going to install a wireless switch upstairs and will be interested to see if that suffers from the same issue.
    I have noticed the same issue with my Hue Dimmer switches but not as frequent. Trying out different zigbee channels might help and is an avenue of investigation i can go down

• Advertisement

Very interesting, thanks beanian

How do you have these switches controlling the Hue lights? I assume they aren't talking straight to the Hue bridge?

bk wrote: »
    How do you have these switches controlling the Hue lights? I assume they aren't talking straight to the Hue bridge?

No they are talking to Home Assistant which is then controlling the Hue lights

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

beanian wrote:
    The wireless switches responsiveness is on-par with a Hue Dimmer.

Great info beanian.

Looks like my hub gang is going to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is anyone using xiaomi with alexa?
    i have the xiaomi yeelights and gateway and other stuff connected to china server.
    i believe xiaomi yeelights skill for alexa is published but for singapore server.

is it possible to have gateway connected to chinese server and bulb to singapore ?

is anyone using xiaomi with alexa?
    i have the xiaomi yeelights and gateway and other stuff connected to china server.
    i believe xiaomi yeelights skill for alexa is published but for singapore server.

is it possible to have gateway connected to chinese server and bulb to singapore ?

I connect everything into Home Assistant which polls the Xiaomi Hub locally. I also have a yeelight which Home Assistant controls locally.
    Anything that is connected to Home Assistant can be controlled via Alexa/GHome via the Emulated Hue component.

However, it's not all sunshine & roses :(. I have noticed drop signals from the wireless switches
    Just an update on this. I moved my hub out of the attic and into an upstairs bedroom. This has completely resolved all issues I had with the switches :)

beanian wrote: »
    I connect everything into Home Assistant which polls the Xiaomi Hub locally. I also have a yeelight which Home Assistant controls locally.
    Anything that is connected to Home Assistant can be controlled via Alexa/GHome via the Emulated Hue component.

are you connected to singapore server or china server?

are you connected to singapore server or china server?
    Not sure, when i set it up originally I selected Mainland China.
    As I'm using Home Assistant all the traffic is local on my network. I just use theMi Home app to add new devices

beanian wrote: »
    Not sure, when i set it up originally I selected Mainland China.
    As I'm using Home Assistant all the traffic is local on my network. I just use theMi Home app to add new devices

is it possible to share sample code for yeelights?
    I am struggling to connect homeassistant with yeelights

• Advertisement

is it possible to share sample code for yeelights?
    I am struggling to connect homeassistant with yeelights
    sure is my HASS config
    light:
    - platform: yeelight
    devices:
    192.168.1.125:
    name: Vanity

Advertisement