Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Menupages.ie - negative reviews are removed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

ntlbell wrote: »
    is this not enough lebowski?

Frankly, no it's not enough for me. I'm not saying menupages didn't handle this badly or that something fishy didn't happen, but people are making out here that bad reviews can be removed at ease by restaurateurs. Apart from the fact that we don't know the actual details of what was in the original review that was removed, if it is so easy, then why are there hundreds of bad reviews for restaurants including 'premium' restaurants that have not been removed.

I'm sure some incident did happen around this but I don't believe it is widespread and I will still use the website.

Anywho, thats my thoughts on the whole issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ALL of my friends have had negative reviews removed within weeks of them being online.

As menupages stated themselves, if they appear on the site they are NOT unreasonable reviews; this is because menupages review all reviews before placing them online. Menupages have also admitted restaurants can simply ask for negative reviews to be taken down, so it is clear negative reviews are being removed by restaurants.

Here is my review - is it so unreasonable?

I live in the apartments above this restaurant. It is always empty so I was feeling a bit sorry for them so thought I'd give it a try! The starter and main course were quite tasty, although the portions are very small and they boil rather than grill your food when you use the barbecue. The dessert was very disappointing, as it was frozen and tasteless. Overall I felt I paid a lot of money for very little food, and have to say I left the restaurant feeling a little bit angry. I am a regular of the Korean restaurants on Parnell Street and think they offer much better value for money, and food of at least the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The only problem I'd have with that review is that you mention other restaurants, which is generally not allowed with menupages.

dudara wrote: »
    The only problem I'd have with that review is that you mention other restaurants, which is generally not allowed with menupages.

OK, fair enough, however it passed their review process and was placed on the site, and only became a problem when the restaurant asked for it to be removed... The e-mail menupages sent me says it was removed because my experience was negative, not because I mention other restaurants.

I forgot to mention in the review that I left the restaurant feeling hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

If Sandra is still reading this, and I presume she has been and will continue to do so, then I would strongly suggest that you come back on here again and respond to peoples queries.

If Menupages.ie are in fact being lambasted and are innocent of all charges, then you have nothing to worry about. Come and defend yourself, silence the naysayers.

The truth always comes out in the end.

I think it's important to note that there have already been 7,745 views to this thread alone. Think about it. That's a lot of people. A lot of people who have read damning reports and evidence of menupages.ie and will think twice about using it again, particularly since you were so vocal and defensive at the start Sandra, and now, the silence is deafening.

Try typing in Menupages.ie on Google.ie - see the fifth search result, this is it. Yup, this very thread wth the rather loud and brash headline of "Negative Reviews are removed!"

So even casual searchers of menupages will probably stumble across this thread.

7,745 views already Sandra, and still counting...

The "bury your head in the sand" approach and hope it will all go away isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Was chatting to a friend last night who told me that menupages would not put up his negative review, saying that it was slanderous. Now A: this guy works in the business, B: I was at the same dinner and C: what he said was completely true (he ordered tuna and it was rancid - he had to run to the toilet to spit it out)

So they are still rejecting negative reviews. We should set up our own site! :D

olaola wrote: »
    Was chatting to a friend last night who told me that menupages would not put up his negative review, saying that it was slanderous. Now A: this guy works in the business, B: I was at the same dinner and C: what he said was completely true (he ordered tuna and it was rancid - he had to run to the toilet to spit it out)

So they are still rejecting negative reviews. We should set up our own site! :D

Menupages have an obligation to screen the reviews to make sure that they are within the rules. Any chance we could see the actual wording of what was in the review?

Do you really expect them to allow every single review to be posted on-line?

AARRRGH wrote: »
    ALL of my friends have had negative reviews removed within weeks of them being online.

As menupages stated themselves, if they appear on the site they are NOT unreasonable reviews; this is because menupages review all reviews before placing them online. Menupages have also admitted restaurants can simply ask for negative reviews to be taken down, so it is clear negative reviews are being removed by restaurants.

Here is my review - is it so unreasonable?

I live in the apartments above this restaurant. It is always empty so I was feeling a bit sorry for them so thought I'd give it a try! The starter and main course were quite tasty, although the portions are very small and they boil rather than grill your food when you use the barbecue. The dessert was very disappointing, as it was frozen and tasteless. Overall I felt I paid a lot of money for very little food, and have to say I left the restaurant feeling a little bit angry. I am a regular of the Korean restaurants on Parnell Street and think they offer much better value for money, and food of at least the same quality.

In fairness, I can't see any reason why this review was removed. No abuse, libel or any other reason. Also it doesn't actually name any other restaurant as stated in the rules. All I can hope is that they've now learned their lesson from this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

olaola wrote: »

We should set up our own site! :D

I was just thinking the same, menupages is pretty bland as far as websites go considering they have financial backing.

A hobbiest could do a much better job and after this has came about it might be a good as time as any as people will be now looking for somewhere honest for their reviews.

If anyone is interested in starting their own and needs a hand with anything from a technical/hosting POV PM me!

Now you're eating..

ntlbell wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in starting their own and needs a hand with anything from a technical/hosting POV PM me!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I run lots of websites (at a loss, I do it as a hobby) so I would have no problem funding an advert free, conflict of interest free site.

Hmmm. Let me have a think about it and I'll PM you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Lads come on ,this thread is turning into a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Lol its not a conspiracy, if you read it from the beginning you'll see its one user posting their review was removed and several other people confirming the same. Menupages came and confirmed they did remove reviews but never came back to answer the further questions, its all extremely obvious now that they do remove reviews.

On the new website, i think its a great idea as it and this thread will show menupages and hopefully other businesses that when you trat people so badly and annoy them so much they don't just go away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

now the good review for my place is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

from their current FAQ

http://www.menupages.ie/FAQ.aspx

Amendment to Policy, October 2008:

Up until mid-October 2008, we did have a system in place where on rare occasions a restaurant might try to make it up to a customer who had a bad dining experience. In those instances, the review, which had been put live on the web site, may have been put on hold (removed) until after the restaurant had put the situation right with the user - we believed this was a fair system for both user and restaurateur. If the outcome of this was still negative, the original review was reposted, or if the outcome was positive and the user wished to update their review, this was also posted. However, following recent user feedback, this option no longer exists and bad reviews will simply stay intact, even if a restaurant is trying to rectify a situation with a user. We are sorry if this amendment to policy disappoints you and we hope it will not hinder your ability to continue to enjoy the web site.

Do you remove a review if a restaurant asks for it to be removed?

No - even if they are our paying customers! All reviews stay intact (apart from in the few specific circumstances outlined above), so restaurants please do not ask.

How can users have a review removed?

You cannot. However, when users log in to the web site and visit their "My MenuPages" membership area, a review can be amended, edited or re-written by the original poster.

How can a restaurant have a review removed?

They cannot - restaurants have no facility to amend a review - however, they have a "right to reply" which will appear directly under a review which they wish to comment on. These comments are also moderated and are subject to the same review conditions as listed above under "are reviews always posted".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats good news.... now lets see if its enforced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well it seems that the menupages people have been listening and taken appropriate action. Well done to all who complained and to menupages for listening.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I run lots of websites (at a loss, I do it as a hobby) so I would have no problem funding an advert free, conflict of interest free site.

Hmmm. Let me have a think about it and I'll PM you. :)

saves us a bit of work :D

trellheim wrote: »
    from their current FAQ

http://www.menupages.ie/FAQ.aspx

Amendment to Policy, October 2008:

Up until mid-October 2008, we did have a system in place where on rare occasions a restaurant might try to make it up to a customer who had a bad dining experience. In those instances, the review, which had been put live on the web site, may have been put on hold (removed) until after the restaurant had put the situation right with the user - we believed this was a fair system for both user and restaurateur. If the outcome of this was still negative, the original review was reposted, or if the outcome was positive and the user wished to update their review, this was also posted. However, following recent user feedback, this option no longer exists and bad reviews will simply stay intact, even if a restaurant is trying to rectify a situation with a user. We are sorry if this amendment to policy disappoints you and we hope it will not hinder your ability to continue to enjoy the web site.

Do you remove a review if a restaurant asks for it to be removed?

No - even if they are our paying customers! All reviews stay intact (apart from in the few specific circumstances outlined above), so restaurants please do not ask.

How can users have a review removed?

You cannot. However, when users log in to the web site and visit their "My MenuPages" membership area, a review can be amended, edited or re-written by the original poster.

How can a restaurant have a review removed?

They cannot - restaurants have no facility to amend a review - however, they have a "right to reply" which will appear directly under a review which they wish to comment on. These comments are also moderated and are subject to the same review conditions as listed above under "are reviews always posted".

They're still lying though. As I can prove, and many previous posters can prove, menupages removed our negative reviews without telling us. I only got offered a meal after I complained my review was removed (and started this thread.)

I do hope menupages sort out this issue going forward, but I have no faith they will do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I had a couple of reviews that were left unpublished prior to the amendment of their Terms and Conditions. I'll assume that these reviews would be published if I posted them now though? I intend to go back to the same Dublin sushi restaurant where I saw one of the waitresses breathe into the plastic plate lids to make the contents of the conveyor belt plates look streaming hot. Then I'll post another review (hopefully with some photographic evidence) and perhaps menupages.ie will approve it this time. Because fvck knows the general public deserve to know about the kind of things that go on in some of these places before they eat there.

I had a couple of reviews that were left unpublished prior to the amendment of their Terms and Conditions. I'll assume that these reviews would be published if I posted them now though? I intend to go back to the same Dublin sushi restaurant where I saw one of the waitresses breathe into the plastic plate lids to make the contents of the conveyor belt plates look streaming hot. Then I'll post another review (hopefully with some photographic evidence) and perhaps menupages.ie will approve it this time. Because fvck knows the general public deserve to know about the kind of things that go on in some of these places before they eat there.

Go for it :) but something tells me they still won't get published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anyone fancy a job?
    Menupages.ie Administrator

Menupages.ie is Ireland's leading dining out guide with over 4,000 listings of restaurants, bars and cafe's. Launched 2 years ago we receive over 240,000 visitors to the site every month and this continues to grow.

Due to our growth we are expanding our Admin team. We are looking for a candidate with exceptional organisational skills who can manage a diverse daily work load. There is a strong emphasis on Customer Service in this role so confident phone manner is essential. Strong typing skills will be an advantage along with good online knowledge. The candidate will be responsible for the following;

1. Process and vet reviews from our users prior to posting live on Menupages.ie.
    2. Contacting our clients on a daily basis to update required information.
    3. Deal with queries from our users.
    4. Manage the launch of future counties we expand into.
    5. Updating of current listings.

This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of a fun team and great brand. Not many jobs offer such a diverse and unique range of responsibilities.

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=881651

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I have absolutely ZERO faith in menu pages- I tried to post a negative review on a particular hotel/restaurant- 4 times- not once did it publish- however, other restaurants I wrote up in the same area (both positive and average) and beyond were published- not getting into conspiracy theories but as there are negative reviews on menu pages, there is cerainly something up with this site in terms of how it 'chooses' to publish reviews.
    An explanation is definately required or I will be more explicit as to what failed to publish and let the public make their own mind up

Cicero wrote: »
    I have absolutely ZERO faith in menu pages- I tried to post a negative review on a particular hotel/restaurant- 4 times- not once did it publish- however, other restaurants I wrote up in the same area (both positive and average) and beyond were published- not getting into conspiracy theories but as there are negative reviews on menu pages, there is cerainly something up with this site in terms of how it 'chooses' to publish reviews.
    An explanation is definately required or I will be more explicit as to what failed to publish and let the public make their own mind up

It seems to come down to two things:

1. If Menupages think there is any chance the review could get them in trouble they don't post the review. This basically means most negative reviews.
    2. If restaurants ask for negative reviews to be taken down, they comply.

Menupages are now saying they have stopped doing 2, but I suspect this means they'll just do more of 1.

As many others have pointed out, Menupages rely on restaurants for their income; this means they cannot be impartial. "You don't bite the hand that feeds you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Has anyone tried resubmitting a review?

It seems to come down to two things:

1. If Menupages think there is any chance the review could get them in trouble they don't post the review. This basically means most negative reviews.
    2. If restaurants ask for negative reviews to be taken down, they comply.

Menupages are now saying they have stopped doing 2, but I suspect this means they'll just do more of 1.

As many others have pointed out, Menupages rely on restaurants for their income; this means they cannot be impartial. "You don't bite the hand that feeds you".

OK AARRRGH, you need to find something better to worry about. Your obsession with the goings on of menupages is getting to unhealthy levels. Really starting to think you have ulterior motives...

OK AARRRGH, you need to find something better to worry about. Your obsession with the goings on of menupages is getting to unhealthy levels. Really starting to think you have ulterior motives...

Your obsession with his obsession is getting unhealthy

do you have shares in page 7 media or something?

I'm really starting to think you have ulterior motives..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Only saw this thread today! I tried to post a negative review back in march but surprise surprise it wasn't accepted. There was no libel, abuse or anything of the sort in it.

My review outlined the bad service, wrong orders and cold food. I'm going to try resubmit now.

I think I'm allowed comment on people's comments! :)

I've no obsession with Menupages, but I do think everyone should know their website cannot be trusted. If that means I have to post here every now and then, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I've no obsession with Menupages
    Come on admit it, you've all the pages printed out and stuck to your wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

rumour has it that he is going to go to a restaurant and not pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement