Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church and civil records

• 16-09-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

I have spent many years looking for a marriage record. At last I found it using Findmypast.ie search.

This marriage took place in Mullingar in 1877 but it is not listed in the civil records for that year (nor another marriage that took place on the same day) and it is not on the genealogy.ie site under church records. The microfiche of the church register is in the National Library.

So not all of available church records are on the genealogy.ie site and somehow this church failed to submit a return of marriages to the civil authorities.

Anyone know how many of the church records that are in NLI remain to be put on the Irish site genealogy.ie? And how common is it that church records are missed from civil records?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Some clarifications:

You found it in the index of marriages on FMP but not in the indexes/records on www.irishgenealogy.ie?

There's no connection between the records that the NLI has and what's on irishgenealogy - except that they in some cases duplicate each other.
    There are no church records from Westmeath on irishgenealogy nor will there ever be. That site was set up to initially cover the omissions on www.rootsireland.ie (which does have Westmeath).

If you want to say the names and details, I'll check Rootsireland to see if they have a transcription of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The NLI's collection of parish records (which go up to 1880 only) was transcribed by both FMP and Ancestry - they collaborated on this project. The results are of varying quality.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thanks for replies folks. I can see the transcription and the actual microfiche on Findmypast. It was 1877. Confusing! I would have thought that NLI and genealogy.ie would be same as both staterun? Is there any proposal to put all up on genealogy.ie?

The issue is only aired because there is no civil record of the marriage. I had search exhaustively with variations of names and found nothing.

irishgenealogy.ie is state-run but underfunded. No suggestion of putting the registers on it. It would be a big duplication of work that is already transcribed on 3 sites.

If you want to supply names, we can try help further.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Out of interest have you found the civil records of other marriages which have been recorded on the same page of the parish register?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Posts about Griffiths maps moved to the relevant thread. Please keep this one for just GRO stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

No I checked a few other marriages in same register and not on the civil list.
    Thanks for offers but really wanted to get the civil certificate to give fathers' details otherwise that line stops in 1877.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Garlinge wrote: »
    No I checked a few other marriages in same register and not on the civil list.
    Thanks for offers but really wanted to get the civil certificate to give fathers' details otherwise that line stops in 1877.

Is it on familysearch?

No marriage on Family search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annandalice

Hello, I am also searching for a marriage that took place in Co.Westmeath, 1888-1890 but can find no trace of it on any site.
    Any ideas welcome.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hello, I am also searching for a marriage that took place in Co.Westmeath, 1888-1890 but can find no trace of it on any site.
    Any ideas welcome.!

Can you give some details?

What evidence is there for taking place then and there?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement