Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Calls from pre-pay mobile phones with no need for refills.

• 09-05-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

'3' UK have a new pre-pay proposition around making Skype calls from your mobile phone. They will allow you to make as many Skype calls as you want without any '3' charges and without requiring minimum monthly refills. You are, of course, charged (by Skype) for Skype 'dial-out' calls.

'3' Ireland also offer a pre-pay Skype call service but they force you to refill by €10 per month for this privelige.

Anyhow, the bargain alert revolves around the 3 'UK' Skype service since, if you can get your hands on a '3' UK SIM card (available on ebay), you will be able to use their Skype service in Ireland without any roaming charges thanks to the '3' UK 3 Like Home service.

The only catches are;

1. To avail of the free 3 UK roaming service you must roam on the 3 Ireland network.

2. The 3 UK '3 Like Home' service ends on 30th June 2009.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sligo_tech

Good post. A pity the 3 Like Home finished on 30 june.
    THanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.

Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

taung wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.

3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.

• Advertisement

This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.

I have to disagree. The call quality of skype on 3 is the same as a normal call IMO making it better than normal skype calling (probably something to do with the way 3 route the call over their network rather than via the internet).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Well i found using 3 Skype to call someone else using 3 Skype the call quality was rubbish sometimes there would be as much as a 5 second delay on the call. When i first started using it when it was first launched and for a few months after yeah it was grand but now its just crap i can't even use it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Walkman wrote: »
    3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.

I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
    2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
    3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
    4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?

That should ok yes. With the three Uk sim in the phone, and you can download the three uk skype from this link using your phone: http://mobile.three.co.uk/sdf/skypeupdate

I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

Sorry Davy but the other side is the firmware on the phone will be for 3Ireland so if you launch planet 3 you will probably connect to the 3Ireland planet 3 portal and the above link does not work on my phone (get an error message saying file is not supported). Also if 3UK are getting rid of 3Like Home there is nothing to say it will work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

fring is handy too esp if you have wireless.

Advertisement