Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Santa Fe Timing Belt

• 12-05-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the mileage you should look to change the timing belt on a Hyundai Sante Fe 2002 Petrol 2.0 Litre?

Is there any tell-tale signs (noise, driving problems) that you can look out for or does it just 'go' without warning?

Does anyone know how much it should reasonably cost to have this done if I do need to get it done?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Best advice is contact the main dealer immediately if you are worried about the timing belt. They will tell you what mileage it needs to be done by also exactly how much it will cost and how long it will take to do. If you try to cut corners by going to a back street garage for a timing belt job you would be only fooling yourself because many of these places will use a bogus parts and don’t give the back up guarantee that a main dealer would give. Golden Rule. Timing Belt = Main dealer.

http://www.hyundai.ie/Dealers/index.cfm?fuseaction=hy.countydropdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

There are generally no warnings when a timing belt is worn. They just go and with catastrophic consequences. You'd be looking at a new engine.

It's false economy not to get it done and done properly. I always enrtrust the timing belt to a main dealer or mechanic I know very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Best advice is contact the main dealer immediately if you are worried about the timing belt. They will tell you what mileage it needs to be done by also exactly how much it will cost and how long it will take to do. If you try to cut corners by going to a back street garage for a timing belt job you would be only fooling yourself because many of these places will use a bogus parts and don’t give the back up guarantee that a main dealer would give. Golden Rule. Timing Belt = Main dealer.

I can't agree with the above 'advice' tbh. The only time I think this is appropriate is if the vehicle is still under warranty.

Any good mechanic will be able to replace a timing belt. It is usually a good idea to have the water pump changed at the same time, as the part is not particularly expensive, and there should be very little extra labour involved.

'Bogus' parts! Do you think that car manufacturers make their own timing belts? 'Spurious' is the word you are looking for. There are only a few manufacturers of belts out there, and they should all be of the same quality.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

esel wrote: »
    I can't agree with the above 'advice' tbh. The only time I think this is appropriate is if the vehicle is still under warranty.

Any good mechanic will be able to replace a timing belt. It is usually a good idea to have the water pump changed at the same time, as the part is not particularly expensive, and there should be very little extra labour involved.

'Bogus' parts! Do you think that car manufacturers make their own timing belts? 'Spurious' is the word you are looking for. There are only a few manufacturers of belts out there, and they should all be of the same quality.
    It is in the interest of the main dealer to use a timing belt recommended by the manufacturer whether this is made by Hyundai or not. A main dealer will not cut corners. I.e. some times the jocky wheels and tensioner on the drive train can wear, a main dealer will see to this that these are all replaced.

Many back street garages will just fit the belt and hope for the best. I have heard of figures of up to £300 plus VAT to have a timing belt change for the Trajet from a main dealer in the North the jocky wheels and tensioner would want to be replaced at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Anybody know the mileage (even approx) u should be considering this?

Tks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sure it's 70000 miles, I'd get it done after 5 years or 60,000 miles though, and get a water pump at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tazdogue

I just picked one up yesterday, i know it says it on the manual. I read on one Hyundai board that they should be done every 40000 miles to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I recently got the TB done on a 2.0CRDI Hyundai -
    Booked it into the main dealer - pig of a job to do on them (the diesel) i'm told- a full 6 hours labour -

Total was €560 incl da vat.

Still, worth every penny as my wife will be driving this little suv on for a few more years to come.
    Do it right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Santa Fe petrol timing belts can and have broken on us at 28,000 miles and lower(the balancer belt snaps and shoots into the main belt,snapping it and doing in the head--rough cost for repair is 1500 euros upwards).

If it goes before the manufacturers recommended mileage of 36,000 it should be covered under warranty.
    Also dont scrimp on the price--Use a genuine belt and Im not just saying that because Im in a main dealer--Hyundai have modified the belts 3 times because of the snapping problem.We`ve had taxi drivers in Trajets (same engine and same belts)use spurious belts which have broken at even lower than above.
    Minimum recommendation would be to buy Gates belts (Thats what Hyundai use,but check the part numbers on the Gates belt for the latest number--Main belt 24312-38020 and balance belt 23356-38020.
    Make sure they change the tensioner and idler pulley aswell if theres any sideways play in either.

On the 2.0 petrols you dont need to change the water pump but you do HAVE to change it on the diesels.

One more thing--If you get the belt done in a main dealer you are then covered for another 36,000 miles if the belt breaks before then--Personally I get my timing belts done by a local bloke but with the Santa Fe I got it done so I`d have the warranty for another 36,000 miles.Its worth it for piece of mind.

Hope this helps,
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Golden Rule. Timing Belt = Main dealer.

If you cant trust your own mech to do your timing belt I wouldnt trust him to do a service. just my two cents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

barryfitz wrote: »
    If you cant trust your own mech to do your timing belt I wouldnt trust him to do a service. just my two cents

I dont think its a trust issue--Will your own mech cover you for up to 70,000 miles warranty(on some models) on a belt if it breaks and you still have the car or even if you dont have the car and the new owner has the invoice.Theres not many I know who will.

A main dealer will guarantee the belt reaches its next due mileage and if it doesnt its covered under their warranty regardless of who has the car but has the invoice.

Its more of a case of big job=main dealer or part/job carried out liable to fail again=main dealer.

Just my opinion on it.

Total was €560 incl da vat.

Where did u get it done for this price?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Santa Fe petrol timing belts can and have broken on us at 28,000 miles and lower(the balancer belt snaps and shoots into the main belt,snapping it and doing in the head--rough cost for repair is 1500 euros upwards).

If it goes before the manufacturers recommended mileage of 36,000 it should be covered under warranty.
    Also dont scrimp on the price--Use a genuine belt and Im not just saying that because Im in a main dealer--Hyundai have modified the belts 3 times because of the snapping problem.We`ve had taxi drivers in Trajets (same engine and same belts)use spurious belts which have broken at even lower than above.
    Minimum recommendation would be to buy Gates belts (Thats what Hyundai use,but check the part numbers on the Gates belt for the latest number--Main belt 24312-38020 and balance belt 23356-38020.
    Make sure they change the tensioner and idler pulley aswell if theres any sideways play in either.

On the 2.0 petrols you dont need to change the water pump but you do HAVE to change it on the diesels.

One more thing--If you get the belt done in a main dealer you are then covered for another 36,000 miles if the belt breaks before then--Personally I get my timing belts done by a local bloke but with the Santa Fe I got it done so I`d have the warranty for another 36,000 miles.Its worth it for piece of mind.

Hope this helps,
    Richie.

Thanks for this information; great stuff.

How much should it cost to get this done correctly (timing belt, balance belt, tensioner, idler pulley) both through a main dealer & through a 'local' mechanic?

Thanks...

Does a local mechanic need any special Hyundai specific equipment to complete this job or should he be ablt to complete it with his standard setup?

Tks...

Any mechanic could do it--its actually only about 1.5-2 hours work.

The price of 560 is a for diesel.Petrol one is a lot cheaper because you dont replace the water pump and the labour time is a lot shorter.

The price for fitting the Petrol belts is approx €300.00 fitted incl VAT and slightly more if it needs all the pulleys/tensioners(see previous post--you dont know until you inspect them after removing them)
    Id budget for 300-400 for a main dealer fitted price.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Any mechanic could do it--its actually only about 1.5-2 hours work.

The price of 560 is a for diesel.Petrol one is a lot cheaper because you dont replace the water pump and the labour time is a lot shorter.

The price for fitting the Petrol belts is approx €300.00 fitted incl VAT and slightly more if it needs all the pulleys/tensioners(see previous post--you dont know until you inspect them after removing them)
    Id budget for 300-400 for a main dealer fitted price.

I've been quoted €600-€700 to do this job by several main dealers. Mine is a 2.0L petrol 2002 Santa Fe.

Am I being ripped off here or is €300-€400 a reasonable price to expect to pay?

Hellrazer did u say u were working in a main Hyundai dealership? If so would you tell me where so I can get this job done reasonably.

Thanks.

Youre being ripped off alright.Check youre pms TM2204.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Need to get mine done also and would be interested in the €560 price if you could let me know where - 2003 Santa Fe Diesel.Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

dug this one up instead of starting a new one.

just had the wife's santa fe 07 2.2d serviced and timing belt done,

€280 for the service and €550 for the timing belt, to me it seems like a ridiculous price, her self organized and paid for it, but there was a cross wires in what she was quoted in favour of the garage.

what would be a normal price for such work...?
    heading back to garage in next day or so to question price, and would like some info to back up my case,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Seems about right for engine of that size and the work and parts involved.

Get a list of all the parts used and go to your factors and price them see how much they are if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I've read some gibberish on here but that slots nicely into the top 5 ridiculous things I recon!:rolleyes:

Edit: Just realised this is an old thread dug up......

Advertisement