Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

No but I 'member buying a super soaker in there for about 20 pounds (as it was at the time) a fkin year's pocket money it probably was. And an hour later i found out that the guy in Toymaster was selling identical ones for what they were really worth. About 8 pounds.

GUTTED.

So that day I swore an evil gypsy curse on his building: That one day it might become a half-assed Byrne's World of Wonder (a hemisphere of wonder I suppose), a crap bookshop and be subjected to tone deaf hippy drum circles for the entire summer from the Tholstel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Great thread! :)

I used to love the regent, trying to sneak in your own sweets, and the double seats were great.

I remember going to Goods basement for shoes that were 3 sizes to big, so that i would grow into them.

And when Paris texas used to be Crotty's. My mam used to buy our birthday cakes in there.

remember when the book shop used to have the music section down the back? I used to buy all my tapes there.

The betting shop beside the Village Inn used to be a video store. me and my cousin used to rent all our megadrive games in there. We would rent it for one night, stay up till 4 in the morning trying to finish it.

And the video shop in irish town, that's now Reddy Associates. Used to rent a lot of videos in there. And they used to rent out consoles and video players too

Edit: catbear, i dont remember the stuffed animals, but i do remember the gun shop downstairs. We used to sneak down there and look at all the guns, fascinated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For the bonus point, can anyone tell what was the longest running movie ever shown in the Regent Cinema?

I heard this second hand but from a reliable source.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    For the bonus point, can anyone tell what was the longest running movie ever shown in the Regent Cinema?

The Passion of St. Tibulus?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I remember Titanic was shown for 3 months. I was a teenager at the time and thus, really only had the cinema as an outlet for doing anything really. I was well gutted that there was nothing I could go see for 3 months. They used to have late showings of movies after Titanic (Starship Troopers, Boogie Nights) but there's no way I would have gotten in. I would have loved to have seen Boogie Night in the Regent.

I also remember being a smaller kid and going away for an entire summer and when it started Jurassic Park was on and when I came back Jurassic Park was still on.

I'm gonna go for Titanic though. ?

Extra bonus point if anyone can remember what the last film shown in the Regent was?

• Advertisement

Toy Story 2?

My sister brought me to Lady and the Tramp in the Regent and after 'The Bubbles' were switched off at the start, she told me to get my coat because the movie was over and I started crying.

I haven't forgotten this.

'Member the oul wan with the torch? Lucky they didn't have superbright LED's back in the day. And then for a spell around the late '90's a load of knobgobblers would bring in laser pointers and shine them in Christian Slater's face as he was attempting to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 underpantshead

i remember jurassic park lasting for ages too!
    but i am going to go for a curve ball here and chance my arm with teenage mutant ninja turtles!? that was hugh when it came to the regent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Mackman wrote: »
    remember when the book shop used to have the music section down the back? I used to buy all my tapes there.

I'd forgotten about the music section. Downstairs in Sherwoods used to be great for CDs/tapes/vinyl too. There was a music shop on Patrick St too. Think its a coffee shop now. It was beside the old McGraths hardware shop.
    catbear wrote: »

Was it Crocodile Dundee?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Brian Stones hardware and Mulhalls Bakery there on Green St. and John Kennys shop around the corner on Bishops Hill. Monaghans newsagents by the steps to St. Canices. Wasn't the video shop in Irishtown where the café is now beside Jim Lowrys called the Gogglebox? I remember we used to get the 18+ movies in Mick Hennessys video shop on Kieran St. and I think the video shop beside the entrance to the Rivercourt was the Movie House.

Longest Movie, was it Robin Hood Prince of Thieves?

My source told me it was the Care Bars movie but this was before Titanic so I'd say Titanic probably was the longest run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The Herlaldic Store in Market Cross was a great place, still can't understand why they closed. I remember they had loads of great stuff in there, I bought a small, blunt, replica sword-thing (which when you're 14 years old is the coolest thing ever), a replica ring from LOTR, and when I saw they were closing I bought two bookends with a fake knife going through.

Not really a shop, but does anyone remember the original chip van that used to be on the parade? It was yellow and white. Used to be inside Nowlan Park on match days too.

I miss Tall Tales book shop.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Griffins on Rose Inn St. was cool in a 'brown' kind of way.
    Buting singles in Woolworths (Chic - I Want Your Love was my first.. kind of funny that I bought disco and I dance like a ****)
    My dad buying and eating Nougat in Mooneys though FTW!

Oh, and that veterinary supplies? shop on Parliament Street.. name escapes me?

Ah Griffiths!!!!!!!

I used to buy Airfix models there. The hours I spent agonising over which kit to buy with what little money I had squirreled. When you don't have much, you take a lot more time spending it.

I believe I was at the last show in the Savoy, now there was a dump. The downstairs was closed on health and safety grounds. I remember looking over the balcony and seeing rats moving around below.

The last show there was a rerun of Ghostbusters. Best movie i saw there was 2001, a space odyssey.

• brettmirl wrote: »

There was the L&N on High Street...

That where Argos is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A few i can remember are;
    -Cassidy's clothes store on Parliament st,Dunnes stores had it up to a year or two ago. Vacant now.
    - Hennessy Sports used to down the street a bit across from the court house.
    - Used to be a gift shop kinda like Allens on High st where the Euro store is beside Supermacs. Was Carrolls I think.
    -Used to be a delicatesan across from Goods, beside Pauls. No idea what it was called.
    -Was there a seed shop?!/garden shop down beside Wall's menswear. Now Sony shop I think. I remember that being there up to recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

mfitzy wrote: »
    -Cassidy's clothes store on Parliament st,Dunnes stores had it up to a year or two ago. Vacant now.
    - Used to be a gift shop kinda like Allens on High st where the Euro store is beside Supermacs. Was Carrolls I think.
    -Used to be a delicatesan across from Goods, beside Pauls. No idea what it was called.
    -Was there a seed shop?!/garden shop down beside Wall's menswear. Now Sony shop I think. I remember that being there up to recently enough.

i worked in that Cassidys about 20 years ago:eek:

Jamember Big Snack? That became the Burger Pit, which became Jimmy D's which became The Mondrian.

The curry chips in Big Snack were bangin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

mfitzy wrote: »

The Deli was the orchard
    first place in town to do ice cream scoops

Seed shop was Farrells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

dont forget nipex sports shop on high st! also the computer store which had 3 different locations (kieran st. walkin st. james's st.) spent so much of my youthful money in that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Before it became Mondrian it was Burger Mac for about 2 years from 1999 to 2001. It built in the same upstairs that was still in Morrisey's. They were the first place in KK to do taco chips or garlic chips and any of that greasy delcious stuff. It used to be very popular with us when we were in school because it loaded us up with fat during lunchtimes for low, low prices. You could get a double burger for 1 pound in there. Classic.

Oh, and the final film shown in the Regent was in July 1998 and it was Lost In Space. What a load of crap. I used to collect my Regent tickets so I still have an envelope of half ripped pink tickets with names and dates scrawled on them. My youthful hoarding may pay dividends some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I remember when the Aubergine was on High Street. I used to love the smell of it for some reason.

I miss the Flame in the High Street Arcade. There used to be a cool clothes shop in there too at the very top of the stairs on the left.

Does anyone remember the shortlived skate shop on James' Street?

gunner11 wrote: »
    dont forget nipex sports shop on high st!

Remember Nipex alright, they used to sponsor us at Evergreen U-15s. Beside it was Thorn EMI which later changed to another shop I think. The two are now Elverys. Another one that's gone is the Army Store up the lane there beside what was the Knick Knack. I remember Leonards on High St. they used to be really nice.

Who remembers when Langtons on John Street was a lot smaller than it is now? I remember when there used to be a huge garden out the back. Hogan's electrical shop used to be to the left and on the right was Cody's Central Hotel. Then there was a hair dressers/shoe shop/golf shop and then Paddy Keogh's Furniture shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Off the beaten track, but Mickey Neill's in Lord Edward Street. Loved the Tayto packs from the tin and you could buy a single cigarette, unlike in these days of health police when you have to buy 20. :rolleyes:

Also Cummins of Irishtown, the unfunded youth club of its day with table football, pool, slot machines and the occasional ruck in the back.

djScarey wrote: »
    Also Cummins of Irishtown, the unfunded youth club of its day with table football, pool, slot machines and the occasional ruck in the back.

You just reminded me of the victoria club in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭spikeprint

Norinoco wrote: »
    I was fascinated by the bubbles that were on the screen before the film started. The first time i went to the cinema there was for my 5th birthday to see the Care Bears film!

Oh the memories!

I went to the Care Bears but it was so packed I couldn't get in. Still disappointed about it! I went to see the Jungle Book there once, and was so excited I hung my head out the car window all the way home. It gave me a massive ear ache.

The Watergate used to be a cinema as well. It had cracks down the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, the Watergate was the Savoy mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm too young to remember when it actually was a cinema though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

So many shops have closed down over the years its unreal. Here are a few off the top of my head.

High Street: Whites sweet shop, Leonards newsagents, Monster House department store, Nipex Sports, The Sports Shop, L & N supermarket, Farrells florists, McCormacks newsagents, Tylers Shoes, Mulhalls bakery shop, Aqua clothes, Woolworths, Quality Shoes, Carrolls gift shop,

Rose Inn St: Bretts barber, Shoes repair, Castle Diner/Burger Mac/Mondrian, Griffiths Toy shop, Travel Agent, Molloys teashop, Mobile Connections (relocated to High St), Willie Duggan lighting (relocated), Devanes mans shop, Tall stories bookshop,

John St: Meubles (relocated), Memories music shop, Keogh's antiques?, butchers opposite, Annes convenience store, Lawler's pub,

Patrick St: Christopher Wray lighting, McGrath's hardware, Music shop, Kenneally's Art shop,

New Building Lane: Dick Broderick hardware

Kieran St: Cody Books,

I have particularly fond memories of Mooneys, as its where we used buy our sweets before going to the Regent Cinema on William St.

Advertisement