Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

Ok thanks for the info,
    Do the lnb's for soarsat come with a 23mm neck, the lnb holder on the channel master is for a 23 mm lnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes and a 40mm collar adaptor.

onwave look good value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭zg3409

jpsr wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info,
    Do the lnb's for soarsat come with a 23mm neck, the lnb holder on the channel master is for a 23 mm lnb.

The neck of the LNB's are 23mm. Onwave seems to be the cheapest place to buy them.

Where can i get the ka band lnb, was on onewave.ie, cant see it there, am i on the wrong site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭swoofer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

watty wrote: »
    Agreed. Diseqc and especially Multiswitch always put 28E as LNB1

I'd take the Welsh or Cornish coverage with a Lump of slate or tin.
    still booming in here in the slates with a dish that's very tinny this is after the reported signal drop my signal has increased but this is due to using a proper lnbf

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pulidog

As a blow-in oggy eating tin miner, I'm doing ok at the moment. Signal Quality varies fron 45-58% on a cheap Ross 650mm ish dish, using the new inverto LNB, and I have yet to spen hours on my roof tweaking and peaking the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

Pulidog wrote: »
    As a blow-in oggy eating tin miner, I'm doing ok at the moment. Signal Quality varies fron 45-58% on a cheap Ross 650mm ish dish, using the new inverto LNB, and I have yet to spen hours on my roof tweaking and peaking the dish.
    too cold to spend hours on the roof the only problem that may arise is the other spot beams of the same frequency as been reported here but time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

whoops wrong forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Moses G. Washington

Maybe time you get yo' ass to bed, sleep it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

youre right

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pulidog

Last Night, watched Christy Moore interview with Gaybo. Fantastic. Made it all worthwhile

Inverto have the specs for the LNB on their site now:

http://www.inverto.tv/products/product.php?id=241

This pioneering WHITE Ka LNB line was designed to enable reception of the new high bandwidth satellite TV, radio and data services in Ka band that are being launched across Europe. This Twin Ka Circular dual polarity LNB was specifically engineered to meet the reception requirements of Eutelsat for its KA-SAT satellite located on 9° East (e.g. Saorsat – Reception of free Irish TV by Satellite).

The LNB features two IF outputs and supports connection to two different satellite receivers. The LNB was designed to be used with standard offset antennas of 60-90cm diameter and F/D or 0.6. The feed of this Twin LNB is designed to fit as close as 4 degrees to a allow reception from another satellite over the same dish in Europe (for example - universal Ku LNB receiving the popular Hotbird 13° East). The external diameter of the feed is about 23mm and it is supplied with 40mm ring adapter to ensure compatibility with standard dish antennas. This LNB is using the highest quality components to ensure outstanding and consistent performance and durability and is manufactured under rigorous test conditions and strict quality standards.

main features:

•Pioneering LNBF for reception of satellite services over Ka band
    •High Frequency and Gain stability
    •Low Phase Noise
    •Low Noise Figure
    •Low power consumption
    •High Cross-Pole performance

KA-SAT downlink coverage
    (See map on site, does not show any spots nor coverage)

KA-SAT is the first High Throughput Satellite (HTS) in Europe and marks a new generation of multi-spotbeam high-capacity satellites. It is positioned at 9° East and covers Europe and the Mediterranean basin and has 82 tight Ka-band spot beams across Europe. Source: Eutelsat

To learn more on Eutelsat KA-SAT satellite – visit: http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/9e_ka-sat.html

The LNB is suitable for the reception of Saorsat - Reception of Free Irish TV and Radio by Satellite. The Saorsat service is available via Ka-Sat @ 9E, using Ka-Band (Left Circular Polarised for Ka-Band on 20.185GHz). To learn more on Saorsat service – visit http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/

YES THEY ARE LINKING TO WATTY'S SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Input Frequency Range 19.7 ~ 20.2 GHz
    Output Frequency Range 1500 ~ 1000 MHz (spectrum inversion)
    Low Band LO Frequency 21.20 GHz
    Polarization Dual circular for Ka band (RHCP/LHCP)
    Noise Figure 1.3 dB Typ.
    LO Initial Accuracy @25°;C +/- 1.0 MHz Max.
    LO Temperature Drift (30°C-60°C) +/- 3.0 MHz Max.
    Phase Noise (@ 10 kHz) - 75 dBc/Hz Max.
    Phase Noise (@ 100 kHz) - 95 dBc/Hz Max.
    Conversion Gain 50 - 60dB
    Gain Ripple (Over 26MHz Bandwidth) +/- 0.75 dB
    Gain Variation (Over Full Band) 5 dB Max.
    Image Rejection 40 dB Min.
    1 dB Compression Point (@ Output) 0.0 dBm Min.
    Cross Polarization Isolation 22 dB Min.
    LHCP polarization 13V
    RHCP polarization 18V
    Output VSWR 2.5 : 1
    In-Band Spurious - 60 dBm Max.
    Current Consumption 120 mA Max. @ 11 ~ 20 V
    Operating Temperature - 30 °C ~ + 60 °C
    Output Impedance 75 Ω
    Output Connector 2 x F-Type (Female)
    Weight 181 g

193357.jpg

193355.jpg

For those who like playing with 3D models click here:
    http://www.inverto.tv/products/product_3d.php?section=1&id=241

There is also a specification PDF which I have not embedded but is attached below. It has the same info as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

Just to let you know, I got Saorsat working just on the outskirts of Belfast using the Onwave LNB and dish kit. It's really easy to setup and align the dish with one of Maplin's cheapo satellite meters, and the STB locked no bother at all. Remained stable through the snow last night too.

Just to let you know, I got Saorsat working just on the outskirts of Belfast using the Onwave LNB and dish kit. It's really easy to setup and align the dish with one of Maplin's cheapo satellite meters, and the STB locked no bother at all. Remained stable through the snow last night too.

What channels you picking up on soarsat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

So eventually I got around to testing this and spent much of today at satellites and spent the first half of the afternoon re-aligning and getting my KU motorised setup back working again as it has been blown of course by the wind for exactly a year and 1 week and I eventually forced myself back up on the roof despite my fear of heights. I got that working again thanks to my trusty Satlook Micro satellite meter.

Now for the fun bit and experimenting with Saorsat. Having got my Motorised setup running again nicely I decided not to swap the LNB’s and instead took out an old 80cms dish which is a cheap flimsy thing I bought in Lidl a few years ago, its use nowadays is purely for testing and experiments and it wouldn’t last the first gale of wind I reckon.

Anyway I drove my motorised dish to 9 East to give me an indication of the direction and mounted my 80cms dish underneath, with a KU LNB I found the signal, locked it up and swapped LNB’s to my new KA Sat LNB purchased online from Onwave for €35.

I ran a length of cable (cheap RG6) in the Window to my Technomate 6900HD and ran a blind scan and it found them no problems. I am getting about 65% but I am pretty sure my dish is not 100% aligned as I was fighting against showers of rain and darkness and had spent the previous few hours tweaking the motorised setup overhead as I decided I might aswell kill two birds with one stone whilst I was doing it. I got my KA-LNB two weeks ago but had lent my Technomate 6900HD receiver to a friend as his Ferguson Ariva combo box had died on him so I had the KA-Band LNB looking at me for a fortnight like those presents under the xmas tree you yearn to get at!

I have no TV3, 3e or TG4 as of yet but this is purely for experiment and I will probably mount something more permanent when and as the service launches properly and I know what channels I could actually expect to get.

The Technomate box has a loop through going to the TV which is a 50” UK Freesat model Panasonic TX-P50G10B Plasma. Weirdly this won’t work when the Technomate is on standby perhaps a power issue or something the Panasonic’s built-in tuner cannot provide to the KA LNB as it works fine on standby with KU LNB. The Panny also does not have Diseqc as far as I know so wouldn't be great for the single cable Freesat/Saorsat solution.

I normally have this connected to a dedicated feed from a separate Sky dish but I tuned in the Saorsat channels in the “Other channels” element of the TV using the same tuning from the Technomate box @ 10764 V. I was able to have the Technomate box on RTE2 and the Panasonic TV on RTE1 which is a great boost to be able to split the single feed as I have a few rooms where I will be piping in a single cable running back to a diseqc switch in my attic to combine Saorsat and Freesat on one cable going to the receiver. This won’t happen until after ASO however.

I tried for Teletext on the Panasonic but there was no MHEG5 text to be found only old Analogue Aertel. The TV supports MHEG5 and can receive Digital Aertel when it is on Saorview but not on Saorsat. The Technomate 6900HD does not do MHEG5 but it can receive old Analogue Aertel and this is available on Saorsat.

I am located in South East Kerry and my Saorview signal from Mullaghanish is disrupted by the Windfarm in the Coom, Kilgarvan and basically when the turbines are spinning I have severe signal breakup and disruption but on a calm day and there is no wind I have perfect Saorview so the Saorview is too unreliable to use properly and I will be one of the 2 to 5% of the population dependent on Saorsat after the ASO. There is a local Analogue re-transmitter but the signal is poor compared to Digital and this goes dark on October 24th anyway.

Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4
    Photo 5
    Photo 6
    Photo 7
    Photo 8
    Photo 9
    Photo 10
    Photo 11
    Weather Radar - It was very overcast and had been raining earlier.

Does RTÉ Two have EBU teletext?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Karsini wrote: »
    Does RTÉ Two have EBU teletext?

No, getting no Digital Teletext on the Panasonic and the Technomate doesn't support it. Getting Analogue teletext on RTE1 but only analogue teletext subtitles on RTE2 and not a full teletext service on RTE2 like RTE1. No Analogue or Digital text on RTE News Now, RTE JR or RTE 1 +1hr.

Stinicker wrote: »
    No, getting no Digital Teletext on the Panasonic and the Technomate doesn't support it. Getting Analogue teletext on RTE1 but only analogue teletext subtitles on RTE2 and not a full teletext service on RTE2 like RTE1. No Analogue or Digital text on RTE News Now, RTE JR or RTE 1 +1hr.

Same as Saorview so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Karsini wrote: »
    Stinicker wrote: »

Same as Saorview so.

Not so....am getting digital text on all rte channels om saorview - cant check rte1+1 at the mo since its offline but am also getting digital text on rte jr

It is hardware dependent of course - i havent tested saorsat so cant comment on saorsat mheg 5 digitext plus it might not be fully active on saorsat...thats speculation on my part though

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    Dish up: Inverted spectrum:

Having looked at Apogee's spectrum photo, I did wonder why his spectrum did not really match my spectrum (4 fat 1 skinny, all about the same). This morning I twigged the cause. What we/I have been looking at is not the purple beam, but the purple AND GREEN spots together. I am seeing the green spot around the same strength as the purple, while Apogee is not getting the green spot as strong.

As the LNB only has two options (LHCP/RHCP) it outputs two spots at the same time. So the left hand side of my spectrum is the Purple spot, while the right is the green spot.

I rotated and flipped Apogee's spectrum to show it the same way around mine appears.

193486.jpg

193484.jpg

You learn something new every day!

So based on this I wanted to see where the purple beam ends and the green starts, so I updated the table on spot frequencies.

Beam #|Beam color| Symbol rate | Center frequency | Polarization |Band range approx |Intermediate Range approx |I.F. Center|Universal LNB Range |Universal LNB Center

1| Blue| 50| 19.73125| RHCP/Horizontal | 19.7 - 19.7625| 1.4375 - 1.5|1.46875 | 11.1875 - 11.25 |11.21875

2| Orange| 50| 19.99375| RHCP/Horizontal | 19.9625 - 20.025 | 1.175 - 1.2375 | 1.20625 | 10.925 - 10.9875| 10.95625

4| Green| 50| 19.85625| LHCP/Vertical | 19.775 - 19.9375| 1.3125 - 1.375| 1.34375 |11.0125 - 11.175| 11.09375

3| Purple| 50| 20.11875| LHCP/Vertical | 20.0875 - 20.15 | 1.05 - 1.1125| 1.08125 | 10.08 - 10.8625| 10.83125

The above sums seem to not make sense. I don't think the "center" frequency of the purple beam is 20.11875, at least according to the spectrum I have photographed. It may be that the Irish purple spot is different to allow an extra TV carrier at 20.185GHz

SO IF YOU ARE USING A SPECTRUM ANALYSER TO ALIGN YOUR DISH DO NOT WORRY IF SOME OF THE TRANSPONDERS SEEM WEAK OR NON EXISTANT. These are just the green spots, which don't carry TV anyway. Depending on the make of analyser these may be top/bottom/left/right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Saorsat page on the Saorview website has been updated, doesn't look good for TV3/3e.
    Saorsat

By October 2012 SAORVIEW will be accessible to 98% of the Irish population. Due to topography it is not possible for the SAORVIEW service to reach 100% of population and approximately 2% of the population will not be able to receive the SAORVIEW service.

The SAORSAT service is currently operating on technical trial basis and will formally commence once a number of finer points around the service have been finalised. The SAORSAT service is an infill solution for the 2% of households, which by virtue of their location, cannot receive the SAORVIEW signal.

The SAORSAT service will carry all of the RTÉ Television and Radio channels, making the RTÉ public service television and radio services available in some parts of the country, on a free-to-air basis, for the first time ever. Other channels may become available if they choose to be carried on the service, subject to appropriate carriage agreements being in place. However, it is unlikely that the SAORSAT service will carry as many channels as SAORVIEW and for that reason, wherever possible SAORVIEW should be the preferred option. SAORVIEW advises speaking to a competent local aerial installer about your all your options for getting SAORVIEW before choosing SAORSAT.

http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/saorsat/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lack of Regulation of TV3.

They were never made to pay for "full" Analogue Coverage and thus had only 80% coverage.
    Now they have 97%, so why without being forced by regulator would they pay ANYTHING for 2% more coverage and maybe only 0.5% customers. Being on Saorsat won't bring them more advertising revenue.

The problem is not RTENL who can't give ANYONE, TV3 or Oireachtas a Free Ride on Satellite or Terrestrial, but our regulators who NEVER forced Banks, Eircom or TV3 to meet their obligations to the Public in the past.

I don't need to update saortv.info ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Skanco

I believe saorsat cannot be received even on a 1.8m dish on the Isle of Man, can anyone prove this report right. PM may be best. Thanks for any help.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Deep diver

Hooray,

Finally a box that can receive ALL of the Saorview channels ples ALL of the Saorsat channels! That's like, 9 channels... plus 5 of those channels AGAIN!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Indeed. Why would anyone that can't get Saorview want a combi?
    Why would anyone that can get Saorview want other than Freesat on the Combi?

I wonder have they mixed up two product announcements:
    1) A Combi for Saorview
    2) A DVB-T2 HD Sat box that has MHEG5 and Ku and Ka LNBF settings to enter frequency sensibly?

In fairness it might actually be a nice set top box, just a bit of a weird product announcement. A Freesat box with a DVB-T2 tuner / MHEG5 would be excellent, but probably unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

watty wrote: »
    Indeed. Why would anyone that can't get Saorview want a combi?
    Why would anyone that can get Saorview want other than Freesat on the Combi?

I wonder have they mixed up two product announcements:
    1) A Combi for Saorview
    2) A DVB-T2 HD Sat box that has MHEG5 and Ku and Ka LNBF settings to enter frequency sensibly?

Its a one box approved solution for combined British and Irish Channels regardless of how you are getting your Irish signal, ie terrestrially or via sat.

The last Triax's MHEG capabilities where well there and the 7 day epg could easily been loaded with a firmware tweak...... (despite its other shortcomings). There certainly was an attempt to join the dots via mheg.

The new box looks VERY like the old one, despite its name change.......will reserve judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

which will enable consumers decode the SAORVIEW and SAORSAT services as well as other free to air satellite services

Hmm. It would be nice to see a spec. for this STB. It looks promising, but I will also reserve judgement for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement