Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV in housing estate

• 05-09-2019 11:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone advise on the legalities of putting up a community CCTV system in a housing estate.

Several car break-ins recently.

Is it ok for individuals to put up their own cameras and share the feed or has there to be a more central system?

There is only one entrance to the estate so a sign there would not be a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Steve wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on the legalities of putting up a community CCTV system in a housing estate.

Is it ok for individuals to put up their own cameras and share the feed or has there to be a more central system?

There is only one entrance to the estate so a sign there would not be a problem.

As far as I know, you can put up a security camera on your own property, as long as it is not pointed at anyone else’s. But I doubt you can put a camera on public property or pointing outward from your own to monitor people as the legally use public property. If you put signs up and record people coming and going, would you become a data controller and subject to GDRP regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres definitley GDPR issues.

My parents neighbours put up a pretty serious CCTV system, but asked first. They both agreed to also capture part of my parent property and they agreed similar with other neighbours. Now about three houses adjascent each other have CCTV & it has proven useful on a number of occassions...

My younger brother is in a relatively new estate & allot of people have either CCTV or WiFi cameras... Personal privacy should be the first thing taken into account. You have to clearly indicate that CCTV is in operation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xterminator

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks, good info there.

There is already a neighborhood watch system in operation and a healthy whatsapp group for the residents, any suspicious stuff gets reported pretty quick there.

I'm even thinking that fake cameras and a sign would be a strong deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Steve wrote: »

OP, I highly recommend investing in a Ring Doorbell. You can find them on sites like Argos for about €100.

They are easy to install, discreet enough and you can access the camera through an app on your phone. I have bought some for me and my family members and everyone loves it.

One of the best investments I've made, especially at only €100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    OP, I highly recommend investing in a Ring Doorbell. You can find them on sites like Argos for about €100.

They are easy to install, discreet enough and you can access the camera through an app on your phone. I have bought some for me and my family members and everyone loves it.

Is there any subscription / recurring cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Homer

Is there any subscription / recurring cost?

A small yearly fee of about €30 to enable saving clips to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Limited reach. Tbh. They're grand buy they are not a CCTV system.

For an extra 50 quid you'll get a 4 camera solution on Amazon offering same picture quality but covering more area and offering actual evidence rather than a wide angle view off your front door.

There's a place for them in the market but as home CCTV. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Isn’t it sad what society has to think of these days .. CCTV etc .... we are too tolerant around scumbags robbing and the soft on crime government

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Isn’t it sad what society has to think of these days .. CCTV etc .... we are too tolerant around scumbags robbing and the soft on crime government

A lot of it is down to working couples. Growing up in an Estate in the 80s and 90s, every house on the road was occupied during the day with house wife’s now a days it’s rare to find an occupied house during the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ted1 wrote: »
    A lot of it is down to working couples. Growing up in an Estate in the 80s and 90s, every house on the road was occupied during the day with house wife’s now a days it’s rare to find an occupied house during the day

Oh that’s it of course, it’s all the fault of those women with their working notions. :rolleyes:

I was in town yesterday, left the car in a loading bay while I dropped something in to a shop. I came back to my car and saw a woman trying the door handle of each car on the street in turn. She got to my car as I came up the street behind her... she was being fairly rough with the handle and giving the window a shove. I asked if I could help her, and she said “oh, my boyfriend has the keys, just wanted to sit into the car while I wait”. I told her it was my car and she legged it.

The city is rougher than it was ten years ago, from where I stand. Literally every time I go into the city I see either a crime or an attempted crime these days. I don’t know if it’s substance abuse, homelessness, lack of social integration... But visible crime looks like it is up.

You can tell me that is all because this woman’s mother had a job, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

listermint wrote: »
    For an extra 50 quid you'll get a 4 camera solution on Amazon offering same picture quality but covering more area and offering actual evidence rather than a wide angle view off your front door.

What camera system do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You do know you'll not be able to use the footage unless you get it installed by a PSA registered installer. It will be for personal use only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Put CCTV on my own house pointing out onto a public footpath and road because my car kept getting robbed.

The footage was later used in court without issue. I have even had the guards and neighbours call for footage from their own incidents without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭harr

You do know you'll not be able to use the footage unless you get it installed by a PSA registered installer. It will be for personal use only
    As in not use it in a criminal case ? We had cars broken into on our road not long ago and a neighbour caught those involved on a nest camera and I know guards arrested an individual from that footage ...
    most houses here have ring or nest cameras a and a few cctv ... those that have cctv the cameras are up to high and all you can see is tops of heads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We have the ring system and can zone the area you want. Gardai have used the neighbours once .

Put CCTV on my own house pointing out onto a public footpath and road because my car kept getting robbed.

The footage was later used in court without issue. I have even had the guards and neighbours call for footage from their own incidents without problems.

How long ago? Nowadays any decent solicitor can get your video evidence thrown out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why do Gardaí constantly ask for dash cam footage from any passing motorists in the event of an accident?

Most dash cams are fitted by Joe Soaps with the wires hanging everywhere, not some professional dash cam installer.

kceire wrote: »
    Why do Gardaí constantly ask for dash cam footage from any passing motorists in the event of an accident?

Most dash cams are fitted by Joe Soaps with the wires hanging everywhere, not some professional dash cam installer.

Because it gives them an idea, confirms notions but it's not something they can build a prosecuting case on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

DIY'd mine and it's been used also Gardai have called in looking for it in relation to other incidents.

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    DIY'd mine and it's been used also Gardai have called in looking for it in relation to other incidents.

Used by Gardai for their own investigations, not admissible in court. They could chance it in court but a good solicitor would get it thrown out on the grounds of not being verified.

How does a PSA install make it admissible or what is it about a DIY install that doesn't? Most frustrating thing is that the Gardai will arrive looking for footage with no way of collecting so I'll print them a few stills

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

False.

tnegun wrote: »
    How does a PSA install make it admissible or what is it about a DIY install that doesn't? Most frustrating thing is that the Gardai will arrive looking for footage with no way of collecting so I'll print them a few stills

It's just red tape and compliance created by the PSA
    https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/Pages/NS14000072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Used by Gardai for their own investigations, not admissible in court. They could chance it in court but a good solicitor would get it thrown out on the grounds of not being verified.

That’s what’s wrong with this country ... guilty scumbags destroying everyone’s life’s getting off due to solicitors with no morals getting them off on a technicality ....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh that’s it of course, it’s all the fault of those women with their working notions. :rolleyes:

I was in town yesterday, left the car in a loading bay while I dropped something in to a shop. I came back to my car and saw a woman trying the door handle of each car on the street in turn. She got to my car as I came up the street behind her... she was being fairly rough with the handle and giving the window a shove. I asked if I could help her, and she said “oh, my boyfriend has the keys, just wanted to sit into the car while I wait”. I told her it was my car and she legged it.

The city is rougher than it was ten years ago, from where I stand. Literally every time I go into the city I see either a crime or an attempted crime these days. I don’t know if it’s substance abuse, homelessness, lack of social integration... But visible crime looks like it is up.

You can tell me that is all because this woman’s mother had a job, but I doubt it.

Loading bays are for commercial vehicles. Lucky you didn’t get clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

How long ago? Nowadays any decent solicitor can get your video evidence thrown out.

6 months ago

They've used their phones to record it from my laptop screen after I stopped giving them free USB keys in my case :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ted1 wrote: »
    Loading bays are for commercial vehicles. Lucky you didn’t get clamped.

Why are you assuming I'm not in a commercial vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for all the info, definitely something to bring to the residents association.

Advertisement