Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning for Ireland - Storm Georgina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

No specific areas mentioned in warning so is it to be equally strong countrywide?

The text forecasts say northern and western counties and the SÉ coast will see the worst but yeah blanket warning for country

Edit - Latest update doesn't mention above areas

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 0Z showing gusts 110-120 km/h fairly widespread. The latest model runs showing the strongest winds arriving a bit earlier and crossing the country slower than previous runs.

ECU1-24_nfs4.GIF

850 hPa winds

ECU4-24_ftk8.GIF

Erew4ZZ.png

YGlujwu.png

BeCunXJ.png

BeCunXJ.png

fRJfEUo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

That's what I mean. 200-210 is no problem for 16, but with gusts likely from more like 230-240 then it's in that no-man's-land direction.

Whats the runway direction at DA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

Is ME acting up again ? ... latest Rainfall radar is stuck at 15:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ECM 0Z would probably match the Warning for tonight more than the other models apart from perhaps the ICON. Of course Met Eireann have the expertise and tons of data available to them and I am wondering if they are concerned of getting winds stronger then are showing up on the models what with the nature of the storm developing so quickly with a strong Jet overhead?

tempresult_urn4.gif

tempresult_aic6.gif

tempresult_vxb5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think this will take many by surprise,given its last minute nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

piuswal wrote: »
    Whats the runway direction at DA?

There are two serviceable runways each with 2 ends, the first is RW10/28 which runs slightly offset from east/west, the second 16/34 which is slightly offset from north/south.

The runway number is equivalent to the first two digits of the compass heading in which it points. E.g. RW28 points in direction W 282 degrees.

The issue of course is that 10/28 which is the main runway is closed nightly for resurfacing at the moment.

The GFS shows a pressure of 988 hPa at 18Z and 963 hPa at 06Z, a drop of 25 hPa in 12 hrs. The ECM showing similar.

tempresult_rct3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

the comments on that thing.. god. I wonder what would happen if we had no models, no meteorologists and only the 'common sense' which is required. Frighting the elderly, I think its helping them and stopping them from potentially going into a lot of danger. I would much rather be safe then sorry.

• Advertisement

the comments on that thing.. god. I wonder what would happen if we had no models, no meteorologists and only the 'common sense' which is required. Frighting the elderly, I think its helping them and stopping them from potentially going into a lot of danger. I would much rather be safe then sorry.

Gosh,I'm glad I don't use Twitter,I never knew the level of stupidity within the general Irish public.

How can a name,a name! For the love of Christ,cause so much consternation,is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Gosh,I'm glad I don't use Twitter,I never knew the level of stupidity within the general Irish public.

Journal.ie is even worse. There will be a warning for a specific part of the county, people not in the warning area will complain it didn't happen and they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Journal.ie is even worse. There will be a warning for a specific part of the county, people not in the warning area will complain it didn't happen and they were wrong.

Darwin was right ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

gozunda wrote: »
    Darwin was right ....

Careful.

We already have an active climate change debate that's depressing enough, we really don't need one on evolution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Is 230-240 not the same for 28 as 200-210 is for 16?

It is, but only for gusts. The mean wind would still be much more along 16. With a mean wind of 230 then 28 is best as the gusts will be more down the runway.

Will stick the rainfall warning in here also.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    Rainfall totals 25 to 35mm expected.

Issued:Tuesday 23 January 2018 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 23 January 2018 22:00 to Wednesday 24 January 2018 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think this strong wind situation will hit the south coast more so than further north despite the track of the low, the isobars tighten more noticeably around Kerry and Cork than further north (2300h peak winds there) and this continues on to the east.

Dublin region may see some variations due to windshadow effects with this SSW to SW direction. I expect to see a range of observations when this comes through although it may be past midnight so might be only a few hands on deck.

12Z ECM out now,not too dissimilar to the 0Z.

Yes Southern counties look to get the longest sustained strong winds

Going to be some racket from the wind driven rain overnight as the front passes over.

tempresult_ygh8.gif

e86dDa4.png

V9gK9PY.png

1BsE7tO.png

xijsxkD.png

HGa1EJJ.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Is that three weeks of named storms on Tuesday now?

Mod Note: De Bild. Your last three posts were deleted as they could be deemed to be offensive. Please refrain from such phraseology .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

At least my English is improving. They were meant to be offensive. [ Mod Snip ]

Mod Note: De Bild is taking a break from the forum for being uncivil and disobeying a Mod instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

sword1 wrote: »
    Is that three weeks of named storms on Tuesday now?

Feels like it. Wednesdsy is my bin day. The place is in a heap. More rubbish in the streets than in the truck lately.

Strong winds and heavy rain have arrived here in West Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sudden arrival of rain and strong winds here in West Clare also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm
    Newport Mayo gusting 32 knots
    Cork airport 32 knots
    Belmullet 32 knots
    Valentia 31 knots
    Malin 30 knots

(at 7pm the Buoy M6 was 987.9hpa and gusting 45 knots)
    WEB_Analysis.png?2022

Looks like fastnet lighthouse is steadily increasing its wind gusts during each tweet:

https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse/status/955905445700481024

(I love how it tweets the wind speeds and stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Wind and rain just started in Galway city

Very noticeable strong gusts now in west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

M3 buoy out of service but further west K2 buoy had sustained 34 knot winds at 20z, looks from satellite imagery like wave has formed near there and is tracking into west Munster. Still thinking 2300h for peak winds Kerry, 00h Cork, 01h Waterford and 02h Wexford and inland southeast, then around 03h Dublin.

• Advertisement

And just had the first real gust here in cork can hear the trees blowing a lot now too! Oh the joys of hearing the start of a storm.

Advertisement