Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Weather Statistics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Like I said, there will be a lot of stats!

To start off.....

The number of days with 25c or more at Carlow (Oak Park) since its records began, in 2018 was the third highest on record behind only 1995 and 1976 with 22 such days compared to 33 and 23 in 1995 and 1976 respectively.

3QgDy9H.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Meanwhile, in terms of days with 20c or more (up to September 15th) at Carlow (Oak Park), 2018 was also the third highest amount on record at 74 such days behind only 1995 and 1975 at 85 and 77 days respectively.

jE91MmF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

An absolutely EPIC amount of work there Syran! Fair play.

New Moon

False, there was a report of 106 mph in Ballykelly, Northern Ireland during ex-hurricane Debbie on 16 September 1961.

UK Met Office's summary for September 1961 states of gusts exceeding 90 knots on the 16th at the same station: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/s/k/sep1961.pdf

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1042372142770397184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

If they were off by say 2mph I'd forgive them but 15mph, seriously?

Sunniest Junes per decade since the 1940s (since 1942, so not including the exceptionally sunny June of 1940) at Dublin Airport.

jSfZQrr.png

I gave overall records for Cork Airport and Dublin Airport but now here's some top 5 rainfall record illustrations.

EEJ9drb.png

WyYW47l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Have attached a draft listing of days with gust speeds of 90 knots and above for the period 1940 to mid-2018. West coast dominates. When is better to use gust speed, 10 minute speed, or mean wind speed. Does the mean wind speed give the best overview of the strength and duration of a storm?

Data from Met Eireann

Cork Airport recording a maximum of 10.3c yesterday under Storm Bronagh would make it one of the coldest September days here on record (back to 1962). Top 5 coldest:

1. 26 Sep 1974 - 9.9
    2. 24 Sep 1965 - 10.2
    3. 28 Sep 1974 - 10.2
    4. 20 Sep 2018 - 10.3
    5. 30 Sep 1993 - 10.4

Amazing considering the Summer experienced just before it unlike the others here which were all cool and unsettled Summers in comparison to 2018.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Cork Airport recording a maximum of 10.3c yesterday under Storm Bronagh would make it one of the coldest September days here on record (back to 1962). Top 5 coldest:

1. 26 Sep 1974 - 9.9
    2. 24 Sep 1965 - 10.2
    3. 28 Sep 1974 - 10.2
    4. 20 Sep 2018 - 10.3
    5. 30 Sep 1993 - 10.4

Amazing considering the Summer experienced just before it unlike the others here which were all cool and unsettled Summers in comparison to 2018.

2018 never fails to impress! Yet another impressive extreme.

• Advertisement

Now here's the top 5 temperature record illustrations for Dublin Airport and Cork Airport.

QUudap8.png

HF5kI2X.png

1. 26 Sep 1974 - 9.9
    2. 24 Sep 1965 - 10.2
    3. 28 Sep 1974 - 10.2
    4. 20 Sep 2018 - 10.3
    5. 30 Sep 1993 - 10.4

22 September 2018 falls into the top 10 coldest September days for Cork Airport on record:

Bne7jyM.png

The stats show for the southeast of Ireland that September 2018 hasn't been as sunny as some (including myself) might expect. In fact, it's been very average.

Dublin Airport - 111.2 hrs
    Johnstown Castle - 111.0 hrs

4Egirub.png

The stats show for the southeast of Ireland that September 2018 hasn't been as sunny as some (including myself) might expect. In fact, it's been very average.

Dublin Airport - 111.2 hrs
    Johnstown Castle - 111.0 hrs

I think it's because the sunny days came in blocks if that makes sense. The first week was very sunny but the second week was very dull. I think it is more memorable if we have say 10 days in a row with 10 hours of sunshine each rather than if we have 10 days scattered throughout the month with 10 hours of sunshine. This is also why August felt so dull for me, because we got so many dull days in a row.

Using the Maynooth University ICARUS Irish rainfall series (back to 1711), I have compiled the top 10 wettest months on record in Ireland and the top 10 driest months on record in Ireland of each month of the year, as shown below:

8O4hkdm.png

uTk1BqX.png

I have attached the data from ICARUS except this excel file is in monthly columns than each month every year being in a different row. I have also included the annual rainfall totals.

Data comes from ICARUS and Met Éireann.

Now here's the top 10 wettest and driest seasons on record using the same series. I have edited the excel file attached above and added the seasonal data in it too.

yn599ea.png

kRVNIXL.png

Data again comes from ICARUS and Met Éireann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If we look at the extreme records page -

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

It says the wettest April day was in Cloone Lake (Leitrim) and the wettest September day was also in Cloone Lake, but in Kerry. Is that a typo?

If we look at the extreme records page -

https://www.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records

It says the wettest April day was in Cloone Lake (Leitrim) and the wettest September day was also in Cloone Lake, but in Kerry. Is that a typo?

It is likely to be a typo. Leitrim has two closed stations which had Cloone in its name, Cloone G.S. and Cloone (Aughnaglace House). I cannot check their data to see if they meant one of them for the Leitrim one as the historical database on met.ie is bugged right now.

Interesting data series there Syran. Is this data available in more regional form or is just 'Ireland' specific?

New Moon

Just looking at that data series that Syran kindly shared and I note that the driest year occurred in 1788, with an annual total of just 697mm. Interestingly, this coincided with severe drought in France that same year, which played no small part in the epic uprisings that occurred there in the following year.

"In the summer of 1788, a year before the French Revolution, severe drought led to crop failure. Crop failure was followed by peasant uprisings that finally led to the abolishment of the French feudal system in the summer of 1789"

From: https://personal.lse.ac.uk/fleischh/drought%20and%20the%20french%20revolution.pdf

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Interesting data series there Syran. Is this data available in more regional form or is just 'Ireland' specific?

Not quite sure. I know that the series was part of the Data rescue initiative that students of ICARUS do. Some details on the series can be found in the attached paper.

I promised about two weeks ago I'd do the seasonal and annual sunshine total records for Dublin Airport (and Cork Airport) just like I did with the monthly ones. Here's Dublin Airport's ones.

I've been a bit experimental recently with the stats here, hope they've been enjoyable.

lgH8Poi.png

November 1919 (99 years ago) recorded one of the most extraordinary cold spells in the history of the UK and Ireland. The fact the cold spell occurred in mid-November (not even the end of the month) says it all really. The November 1919 cold spell is my second favourite weather event to research or discuss about after November/December 2010 as I find it so fascinating how it could be as cold as it was then (Autumn 1919 in general was extremely intriguing, not November alone). Just goes to show how cold it can get in mid-November if the setup is there.

The pattern of November 1919 was similar to that of November 2010. There was blocking over Greenland with anomalous below average heights to the southeast of the UK driving winds in from the northeast with air coming from Scandinavia. The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis of November 1919 below shows this.

ZZLekR2.png

The first ten days of November were rather cold already with some overnight frost and light easterly winds at first, gradually becoming windier. The easterlies led to a lack of sunshine for many especially to the south of the UK and east of Ireland. These days were just damp, quiet and chilly.

archives-1919-11-3-12-0.png

The cold spell really took hold on the 11th (my birthday :) ) with northeasterlies dominating. There was plenty of snow showers. There was reports of thundersnow including for Blackpool in the northeast of England. A snowstorm occurred overnight into the 12th in Scotland as a secondary low passed within the severely cold air. Villages were cut off by the snow. There was a foot of snow (30cm) at Dartmoor, 17 inches (44cm) at Balmoral and 8 inches (20cm) at Edinburgh. At Balmoral, this snow continuously laid on the ground from the 8th to 30th November. The snow showers continued for a few days up to the 16th.

archives-1919-11-11-12-0.png

Light northeasterly winds and pressure rising led to bitterly cold temperatures being recorded. The snow cover acted as an excellent insulator in further dropping the temperatures to abnormally cold levels for mid-November (probably unprecedented) especially over Scotland. Braemar got down to a whopping -23.3c on November 14th! That is an exceptionally low temperature in the middle of Winter, never mind mid-November. This is the November record low temperature for the UK to the present day when writing this. November 14th 1919 is the earliest a minimum temperature of -20c (AND -15c!) has been recorded in the UK. This is such a phenomenal figure in many ways as you can see. On the same day, Perth got down to -21.7c. Balmoral recorded afternoon maximum temperatures of -10c on the 14th and -12c on the 15th. The temperature fell again to -22.8c on November 15th at Balmoral, the second earliest -15c/-20c temperature in the UK and the second lowest November temperature on record. The maximum at Carlisle, Cumbria in England on November 14th was only -2.7c whilst England's lowest minimum was -12.8c at Scaleby on the 16th. Lisburn in Northern Ireland recorded a minimum of -12.2c on November 15th, Northern Ireland's November record low to this day. 2010 got close at -11.9c on the 28th but not quite beating the 1919 record.

71LYdte.png

After the 17th, the weather turned more changeable with day to day variation of mild and cold. There were further instances of snow, sleet and hail from the 20th-23rd. Was the extraordinary cold going to become a distant memory or would Winter 1919-20 continue the cold? Winter 1919-20 was unsettled and mild so the November cold was to become the coldest weather of the whole season.

archives-1919-11-17-12-0.png

Lowest minimum temperatures of November 1919 for various Irish stations (via the UK Met Office monthly weather report).

Station|County|Minimum temperature|Date(s)
    Markree Castle|Sligo|-11.1*|14th
    Blacksod Pt.|Mayo|-1.7|14th/15th
    Mallarany|Mayo|-1.7|13th/15th/30th
    Dunfanaghy|Donegal|-3.9|14th
    Malin Head|Donegal|-1.1|14th/15th
    Lisburn|Antrim|-12.2|15th
    Donaghadee|Down|-1.7|17th
    Armagh Observatory|Armagh|-8.3|15th
    Newtownforbes|Longford|-8.3|15th
    Dublin City|Dublin|-3.9|15th/30th
    Glasnevin|Dublin|-6.1|15th/16th/30th
    Phoenix Park|Dublin|-9.4|15th
    Trinity College|Dublin|-6.7|15th
    Ranelagh|Dublin|-5.6|16th/30th
    Newcastle|Wicklow|-2.2|9th/16th
    Birr Castle|Offaly|-9.4|14th/15th/16th
    Mountmellick|Laois|-6.7|14th
    Kilkenny|Kilkenny|-8.9|12th
    Gortmore|Waterford|-5.6|12th
    Training College|Waterford|-7.2|12th
    Seskin, Carrick-on-Suir|Waterford|-4.4|11th/13th/15th
    Cahir|Tipperary|-9.4|12th
    Foynes|Limerick|-5.6|15th
    Mungret College|Limerick|-10.6|15th
    Killarney|Kerry|-6.7|15th
    Valentia Observatory|Kerry|-4.4|12th
    Ballinacurra|Cork|-6.7|12th
    Roches Point|Cork|-2.2|12th/13th

*The -11.1c temperature at Markree Castle on November 14th 1919 was the record low November minimum temperature for the Republic of Ireland until 2010 when it was beaten at -11.5c by Clonroche, Co. Wexford.

At a CET of 3.3c, November 1919 was the equal 7th coldest on record back to 1659. Just 4 years before, November 1915 was the second coldest on record with a CET of 2.8c (the coldest being 1782 at 2.3c). The coldest CET we've seen since 1970 was November 1985 at 4.1c in comparison. November 1915 was persistently cold and frosty whilst November 1919 had an extreme cold spell but was moderated later.

uDxubOH.jpg

rc2r2i3.jpg

2cdcaQL.jpg

Data comes from the UK Met Office.

Is there any data from the September 1965 snowfall which cancelled the Ploughing Championships in Enniskerry? All I can find is a northwesterly on the 9th which brought 0c uppers into the country but that's hardly enough for snow, especially with seas being at their warmest point in the year. I'm not even sure what date the championships were on at. It's hard to believe that it snowed. (could it somehow have been confused for very heavy hail that left accumulations?). Then again, Enniskerry is near 100m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Is there any data from the September 1965 snowfall which cancelled the Ploughing Championships in Enniskerry? All I can find is a northwesterly on the 9th which brought 0c uppers into the country but that's hardly enough for snow, especially with seas being at their warmest point in the year. I'm not even sure what date the championships were on at. It's hard to believe that it snowed. (could it somehow have been confused for very heavy hail that left accumulations?). Then again, Enniskerry is near 100m asl.

The National Ploughing in Enniskerry that was affected by snow was held in the month of January. It is only in the past 25 years or so was the competition has been held in the month of September. Back in the late 80s and early 90s it used to be early October. It was decided due to possible weather reasons to have in late September. In the last few years it is coming in towards mid September. Most county and regional matches take place over the winter months.

Oneiric 3, you asked me in the Ali thread how many of the named storms since 2015 were "proper storms". I don't know what the criteria is for one but I thought I'd take the liberty into making tables like the one below. The one below is of the maximum wind gusts (in knots) for selected Irish stations for each named storm in 2015-16 with the exception of Storm Katie because Katie didn't really impact Ireland, she was over England. I will be doing the same thing with the other storm naming seasons we've had so far (2016-17 and 2017-18).

QlzhqzE.png

If you do not know the dates of occurrence of the named storms, well here's this illustration for you.

Ecwpuax.png

Thanks Syran. A 'storm' is when 10 minute mean speeds reach in excess of 48 Kts (89 Km/h). Relatively common along exposed western coasts I guess, but a very rare occurrence for the rest of us. Most of those storms you list typically brought mean speeds of between 20 and 30 knots to most of the country, which would, on the BF scale, be a F6 or F7 at best, which would not even be classed as a gale in the true sense of the word.

New Moon

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The National Ploughing in Enniskerry that was affected by snow was held in the month of January. It is only in the past 25 years or so was the competition has been held in the month of September. Back in the late 80s and early 90s it used to be early October. It was decided due to possible weather reasons to have in late September. In the last few years it is coming in towards mid September. Most county and regional matches take place over the winter months.

That makes sense. Media getting things wrong as usual, they were saying September.

Now here's the maximum wind gusts (knots) for selected Irish stations for the named storms of 2016-17. Did not include Storm Angus as it did not impact Ireland. Again, you'll find the dates to each of the storms in the second image if you do not know them.

TwKUN43.png

2vxndFJ.png

Wonder how Halloween 2018 will fare in terms of temperatures. We've had some unusually warm Halloweens in recent years (including the record warm one in 2014). Here's the UK maximum temperatures for Halloween in previous years.

GjNUQ2F.png

Data comes from the UK Met Office.

• Advertisement

Thanks to Kevin Bradshaw (aka Mr. Data) for letting me know about this. May-July 2018 was a record breaker in terms of sunshine totals for NW England & N. Wales back to 1929. It recorded a total of 763.8 hrs which beats the previous record of 704.3 hrs in 1989.

This total also beats the sunniest Summer (June-August) on record for the areas which was 1976 with 681.5 hrs. Extraordinary stats I have to say.

QEqv4aS.png

Maximum temperatures are another standout for that period in NW England & N. Wales.

May 2018: 17.3°C 2nd warmest ever May

June 2018: 20.3°C 2nd warmest ever June

July 2018: 22.3°C 3rd warmest ever July

The maximum temperature for May to July 2018 average at just under 20.0°C. They were only 5 "summers" (again June to August) since 1929 warmer than this in terms of maximum temperatures.

Last but not least, rainfall totals are interesting, only summers 1976 and 1995 were drier than May to July 2018 for summers since 1929 in NW England & N. Wales.

A real historical period of weather May to July 2018 was for the regions named.

Data originally comes from the UK Met Office.

Advertisement