Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Parking

Options
  • 12-02-2018 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

Any free parking spots around the city centre?

Renting one is just crazy now cost wise

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Somehow I doubt people will tell you their treasured free parking spot locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.

Are you working in the City? Public transport or cycling is the job if you are, driving in is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Costs are high because of the demand. And for free spots you'd need to be lucky to get one - never mind on a regular basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I park on the cabra road or the north circular

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.

I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Whoa wait there's free land in city centre where I can put my stuff all day long? Where??!?? I'd love to build a house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.

It's brutal, we have cars abandoned on footpaths where I live, the Guards have removed a couple that were blocking the path for wheelchair users.

I work in the area too and we have parking outside of our office and when I arrive here our 8(on our property so actually our spaces) spaces are full and I'm usually first in. Anywhere close to a Luas stop is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.

It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.

Why free?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CalRobert wrote: »
    Why free?

Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R

Just seems like you're saying even 4 euro a day is too much, which is weird since I would happily buy up 5 or 6 parking spots next to the line (4*30*6 is only 720 a month), rip out the parking and put in housing. But I'm not allowed to do that.

More generally, maybe putting people near the line makes more sense than putting cars near the line, since cars can't ride Luas. Also, why make other riders who don't use parking pay for your car storage?

Related: https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21720269-dont-let-people-park-free-how-not-create-traffic-jams-pollution-and-urban-sprawl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a poor use of space, though. Good urban planning practice says that when you have a load of space with a public transport connection, you build housing on it, not car parks.

Not to mention...
    "It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow."

I'm no economist, but if you have to make it free to get people to use it, maybe there's not much demand.

Would it not make sense to do a bit of both? Presumably it's not completely impossible to build an apt block with 2 levels of car parking (basement level, perhaps) (to accommodate residents and general public)?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

What side of the City Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

CalRobert wrote: »
    Not to mention...
    "It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow."

I'm no economist, but if you have to make it free to get people to use it, maybe there's not much demand.

Free initially would be my thinking.

Get people using it and then introduce a charge. Sure people will give out initially but by that point they will be used to the service so will pay anyway.

It's like donedeal's model. Free initially and then once everyone was using it, start charging 5 euro for car adverts. Major fuss and calls for boycotts but by that stage everyone was using it.

Caliden wrote: »

Get people using it and then introduce a charge. Sure people will give out initially but by that point they will be used to the service so will pay anyway.

It's like donedeal's model. Free initially and then once everyone was using it, start charging 5 euro for car adverts. Major fuss and calls for boycotts but by that stage everyone was using it.

I pity the politician enacting this. "BUT MUH PARKING!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Caliden wrote: »

There would be uproar if they did that! You cant give something for free and then suddenly start charging for it. People wouldn't give in and pay it. It will go back to the way it is now where people are clogging up residential estates to get free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of free parking in the Phoenix Park OP, I see many people use it and then take a bicycle out of their boot to cycle the last few km to work.

Advertisement