Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forced entry to yard by delivery man

• 14-02-2018 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I had a parcel delivered to the house recently. I wasn't at home at the time. I arrived home to find a note in the door to say my parcel was in the recycling bin, and sure enough there it was. But my recycling bin is in our back yard and access is either thought the house or a side gate. There is a latch and padlock on our gate. After about 20 mins freaking out about how someone managed to access my back yard I figured out that because we've had storm damage over the winter, the gate and the fence it's attached to can be apparently be prized apart leaving the latch and padlock intact on the gate. But you would actually need to force the gate and fence apart.

In short this delivery guy forced his way into our back yard and it has left me feeling uneasy. Granted my parcel was safe where he left it but I'd rather he had left it with a neighbour or returned it to the depot rather than forcing my pladlocked gate open. Is it worth complaining to the delivery company or am I getting a bit worked over nothing?

BTW we are going to look about getting the gate and associated fencing replaced this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

<SNIP>

Complain? Ye should be grateful, ye got your parcel and identified a flaw in your houses security. I’d be calling and thanking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Yeah, I really don't see anything bad to said against the delivery guy. He went above and beyond what was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

<SNIP>

Your parcel arrived safe and dry and you’ve discovered your home security needs some work.
    So you want to complain about the delivery man going over and above for you to get your purchase.
    Yeah. Seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How do you know it was opened up already.

You said it it's broken anyway so get it fixed.

He probably tried the handle and it popped.

Great he didn't just leave it out front in plain view to be robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Dont complain and get the man in trouble. He was doing you a solid by making sire you got the parcel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Phone that delivery man and thank him for being so dedicated, worth his weight in gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

There's no skin off the delivery driver's nose to not deliver your parcel.

I also doubt he went to the trouble of "forcing" his way into your backyard. Why would he? Either someone else did or the wind blew it open. I'd imagine the latter.

Instead of throwing back into the van he went to the trouble of writing you a note. It's more people like him/her we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

You would not believe the pressure these guys are under to deliver parcels these days, bringing back to the depot is a big no no. Its not just losing his fee for the parcel, if he brings enough back, eventually he could lose his run. Now that doesn't excuse what he done, I'm just trying to give some insight into his reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

macnug wrote: »
    You would not believe the pressure these guys are under to deliver parcels these days

Why?

I would imagine unless a delivery is made to the person in question it raises the likelihood of a complaint from the receiver. Do they not charge extra to redeliver or ask you to collect from the depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

<SNIP>

Some people just love to complain.you got your parcel give the guy a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Did he cause any damage? If not I'd thank him for bringing your attention to the security risk of the storm damaged gate.

Aren't you lucky that it was the honest delivery driver & not a criminal that brought your attention to the gate

The general atmosphere in the country at the moment is best summed up as “Wow! I feel violated! Heads must roll!”. This complaint kinda personifies that, for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Maybe he put the gate back more securely than he found it and that is why you had to force it open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly, I think it would be a major dick move reporting him for essentially doing you a big favor and saving you quite a bit of hassle.

Claiming he 'forced' his way in and you're left feeling 'uneasy' only compounds, for me, what someone's saying above - people looking for things to complain about.

You said it yourself. Your gate is broken. No-one has to force anything to gain access. Fix the gate, move on. Be a real shame to try and get this guy in trouble or what I'd consider a considerate effort on his part....to paint it like more intrusive violation is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow I have to say I am quite surprised at the replies!
    I'm surprised that people don't seem to have a problem with someone taking it upon themselves to gain unauthorised access to your property. If it was an emergency fair enough, but to deliver a parcel?!

The gate wasn't left open. It wasn't windy, it's actually been blustery here since last night and the gate hasn't budged. The latch is stiff and has a padlock secured on it. It took me a while to figure out how he managed to get in. He forced the gate and the fence apart and by doing so the latch slid out (I hope I'm explaining it clearly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm surprised that people don't seem to have a problem with someone taking it upon themselves to gain unauthorised access to your property. If it was an emergency fair enough, but to deliver a parcel?!

The gate wasn't left open. It wasn't windy, it's actually been blustery here since last night and the gate hasn't budged. The latch is stiff and has a padlock secured on it. It took me a while to figure out how he managed to get in. He forced the gate and the fence apart and by doing so the latch slid out (I hope I'm explaining it clearly).

Unauthorised? Is it really? There's a good argument that he has at least some consent to enter to keep your property safe and deliver it.

Have you suffered any harm? Has anything been damaged? If not, what do you want to achieve by making your "complaint"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can you prove this?

Is it even remotely possible that someone else forced the gate before he got there?

Look I'd be concerned if he managed to leave the parcel inside your house. Side gate & leave it in the green bin, I think you are overreacting. I wouldn't have an issue if he did in my side gate so long as he didn't cause any damage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd be more concerned that he just left the parcel unattended than getting into your yard. I can't stand this new thing of delivery drivers leaving parcels outside the house. The parcel should be delivered to a person at the property or at a nominated location. The driver shouldn't take it upon themselves to just leave it in your bin.

What do you hope to achieve by making the complaint?
    You can just as easily ask for it to be noted that in future if your doorbell isn’t answered then the parcel is to return to the depot where you will collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

If it was a burglar I'd agree with you, If the driver had damaged your property in any way I'd agree with you... in the process of providing you with a service they went above and beyond to ensure that your parcel was left in a secure location on your property, and they informed you in writing that they did so.
    No need to feel violated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

I've seen some delivery drivers on occasion throw parcels over walls, into bins, leave under parked cars, and just leave on doorsteps.

I often wondered how easy it would be for a thief to follow a driver around for a day picking up all the packages the driver had left in gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I opened this thread expecting the delivery man to have actually broken into your house. He was decent enough to go to the hassle of putting your parcel in a safe place.

One delivery man that calls to me goes into my backyard and leaves stuff in the shed. He never said it to me about doing it but it's fine with me once the parcel isn't in plain sight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

splinter65 wrote: »
    What do you hope to achieve by making the complaint?
    You can just as easily ask for it to be noted that in future if your doorbell isn’t answered then the parcel is to return to the depot where you will collect it.

Better still, unless otherwise agreed, anyone expecting a parcel delivery should make sure that they, or a nominated person, is actually at the premises to receive the parcel, instead of causing extra grief for the delivery guy just trying to do his job.
    If they know that they will not be home they should notify the depot and tell them not to attempt delivery and so not waste the drivers time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Donutz wrote: »
    I've seen some delivery drivers on occasion throw parcels over walls, into bins, leave under parked cars, and just leave on doorsteps.

I often wondered how easy it would be for a thief to follow a driver around for a day picking up all the packages the driver had left in gardens.

There are people in the US do exactly this.

There is one on YouTube where ups pulls up delivers package and leaves in porch.

CCTV on house picks up a car then a woman gets out and attempts to run and grab said delivery, grand untill she runs back towards the car and breaks her leg.

Guy gets out carries her to car then comes back to get the boxes.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Better still, unless otherwise agreed, anyone expecting a parcel delivery should make sure that they, or a nominated person, is actually at the premises to receive the parcel, instead of causing extra grief for the delivery guy just trying to do his job.
    If they know that they will not be home they should notify the depot and tell them not to attempt delivery and so not waste the drivers time.

Most couriers send a text in the AM offering you an opportunity to reschedule..
    No this is just another case of “ Ive been violated! Someone must lose their job!”.
    Modern Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm surprised that people don't seem to have a problem with someone taking it upon themselves to gain unauthorised access to your property. If it was an emergency fair enough, but to deliver a parcel

But was the access "unauthorised" ??

OP ordered "something" that required a courier delivery, and was not present to accept the delivery, which (the internet might agrue) kinda authorised the courier to enter the premise for the express and sole purpose of making the delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

splinter65 wrote: »
    Most couriers send a text in the AM offering you an opportunity to reschedule..
    No this is just another case of “ Ive been violated! Someone must lose their job!”.
    Modern Ireland .

In fairness, I get a lot of courier deliveries and DPD are the only one's that text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

If he left it INSIDE your house OP id understand but he really did go beyond what he needed to do. You need to chill out in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Ah you are clutching at straws here, get over it would you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In fairness, I get a lot of courier deliveries and DPD are the only one's that text.

Nighline text, at least for Debinhams deliveries

Advertisement