Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of media from the last 5 years where women are objectified

• 13-02-2018 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This was brought up in a thread earlier of the rampant objectification of women in the media and it got me thinking that I couldn't think of a single example - outside music artists who objectify themselves deliberately, or women who do it to appear sexy to other women, e.g. The fashion industry.

Then got to thinking maybe it's me and can't see it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

professore wrote: »
    This was brought up in a thread earlier of the rampant objectification of women in the media and it got me thinking that I couldn't think of a single example - outside music artists who objectify themselves deliberately, or women who do it to appear sexy to other women, e.g. The fashion industry.

Then got to thinking maybe it's me and can't see it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

and then someone replied with a whole ton of links already
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106138649&postcount=57

why did you make a new thread about it after you got an answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

In the daily mail of a woman has a divorce it will comment in the picture something like

CROP OF THE TOPS,
    she flashed her taut midrif while defiantly puffing on a cigarette

LEGS FOR DAYS
    She flashed her endless pins while going to meet her solicitor

WORKING UP A SWEAT
    She worked on her hard body at the gym

Not sure if it’s what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

LEGS-IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah Jaysus.
    This is all very terrible.

It's a subject close to my own very Presidential heart. If someone could send me the links to some photos of the offending material, I would be very grateful....For research purposes of course

• Advertisement

Plus anytime anything is announced in the newspapers (particularly the Indo or the tabloids) there's usually a pair of rented honeys with a cardboard cut out of a slogan standing next to a CEO or industry big wig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

First step is to agree on what "objectifaction" actually means. Second step is to decide if there is anything wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

gametes

....(sex cells)

First step is to agree on what "objectifaction" actually means. Second step is to decide if there is anything wrong with it.

Treating someone as an object (and therefore not a person).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

tigger123 wrote: »
    Treating someone as an object (and therefore not a person).

How does one treat someone as an object? For example, is using someone as a goalpost objectification?

How does one treat someone as an object? For example, is using someone as a goalpost objectification?

Mind. Blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Plus anytime anything is announced in the newspapers (particularly the Indo or the tabloids) there's usually a pair of rented honeys with a cardboard cut out of a slogan standing next to a CEO or industry big wig.

These goosebumped bikini girls promoting anything and everything in the morning Metro! Usually photographed in St Stephen's Green or Grand Canal Dock for some reason. Metro is now dead, not sure if it's still a thing in the dailies?

In general, magazine ads with writhing, panting women; you don't see ads with men sporting their orgasm face, do you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Human goal post.

strandroad wrote: »
    These goosebumped bikini girls promoting anything and everything in the morning Metro! Usually photographed in St Stephen's Green or Grand Canal Dock for some reason. Metro is now dead, not sure if it's still a thing in the dailies?

I don't think it was/is just confined to the Metro. Still see it fairly regularly, less so in recent years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So, whose going to objectify me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bluewolf wrote: »

The D&G ad is Robin Thicke type creepy alright, but to be fair a lot of them strike me as sexualisation more than anything (though there definitely are double standards in there too). Obviously there's a crossover/grey area between the two, but the below could just as easily be said to be objectifying of men.

Also a bit of an aside, but while women get it worse for sexual objectification on the whole in the advertising world, there is also the stereotype of 'idiot men' that pervades a whole tonne of these ads. Whatever sells, I guess is the attitude.

article-2182552-14578F12000005DC-694_468x306.jpg

subvert_133.jpg

fea-hunk-05-2013.jpg

tumblr_mb9p90wGyC1qdi4tno1_500.jpg

http://newnation.sg/wp-content/uploads/shirtlessmanabercrombieandfitch.jpg

Probably NSFW: http://objectificationofads.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/0/2/11027132/689864850.jpg?389

Also probably NSFW: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/c2/15/54c215309fd1c7c82863fe3c9c514712.jpg

Also very probably NSFW: http://tsminteractive.com/files/2012/03/stefano-pinto-naked-yogurt-ad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

bluewolf wrote: »

I didn't see that as I posted the question this morning.

Those ads are all aimed at women? So how is that objectification?

The tabloid stuff yeah but they are crap anyway and I never read tabloids. They are an odd mix of sex stories and puritanism in monisyllables.

• Advertisement

Those ads are all aimed at women? So how is that objectification?

The tabloid stuff yeah but they are crap anyway and I never read tabloids. They are an odd mix of sex stories and puritanism in monisyllables.

I'm confused. You asked for examples of women being objectified in the media, no? People gave you examples ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm always getting objectified

hqdefault.jpg

I'm confused. You asked for examples of women being objectified in the media, no? People gave you examples ... ?

They aren't good examples? A woman's lumberjack shirt? Some kind of fancy fashion designer brand aimed at women? These are the same for mens products? Next thing it will be a box of of tights.

Unless I misunderstood surely they need to display women as sex objects - like the infamous diet coke ads did for men. Or the way that 50 shades guy is portrayed. Or an old James Bond trailer or carry on film . Examples like that. Not normal advertising or advertising aimed at women that most men would only see in women's magazines at the dentist.

The tabloid thing may have a point, but page 3 is long gone, so it's all stupid phrases now.

The place I most see it is daughters of our friends posing on Facebook - and in some cases their mothers - that's the most in your face objectification I see in daily life. And that's voluntary presumably.

The way Prince Harry is treated. That's objectification. He's not a rather plain looking ginger bloke with a posh accent, he's a Prince and therefore the object of hordes of women worldwide. That's my understanding of objectification. Treating someone as an object rather than a person.

The way Prince Harry is treated. That's objectification. He's not a rather plain looking ginger bloke with a posh accent, he's a Prince and therefore the object of hordes of women worldwide. That's my understanding of objectification. Treating someone as an object rather than a person.

Sounds like you want to talk about the objectification of men, rather than objectification of women?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If anyone reckons throughout media and culture that women aren't sexualised, physically scrutinised* and objectified much more often and from an earlier age than men needs their head read. Or their eyes tested. The odd eejit with steroid enhanced pecs on show is the minority by a long shot.

This is nothing to do with the gobsheenery of the "gender war" sh1te either. I see feminism as a busted flush and consider the majority of media feminists so full of poo that they could pass good muster as mobile sewer treatment plants. But the plain fact is women are objectified so much more.

*Not just by men either. IMHO the most pernicious of that sh1te shows up in media aimed at and usually produced by women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Also, I'd say those women want to marry Prince Harry, become a princess, and live in a palace. I'm pretty sure that's not objectification.

Sounds like you want to talk about the objectification of men, rather than objectification of women?

No I don't actually, I just want to see what people consider objectification of women that is apparently so widespread, but yet I can't see it, and I'm a man so it should be obvious to me.

I see lots of women deliberately objectifying themselves for personal gain (Miley Cyrus for example) and men do this too but can't think of many for women in mainstream media where women are objectified.

You have stuff like lap dancing clubs and such like but they aren't mainstream and there's female alternatives to these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hey! You scut! I replied, maaaan, I repliiiied.

To be honest though, it kinda seems like no example will be good enough for you. Just read Wibbs’ post upthread there, I’m far too lazy to restate it in a different way.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    If anyone reckons throughout media and culture that women aren't sexualised, physically scrutinised* and objectified much more often and from an earlier age than men needs their head read. Or their eyes tested. The odd eejit with steroid enhanced pecs on show is the minority by a long shot.

This is nothing to do with the gobsheenery of the "gender war" sh1te either. I see feminism as a busted flush and consider the majority of media feminists so full of poo that they could pass good muster as mobile sewer treatment plants. But the plain fact is women are objectified so much more.

*Not just by men either. IMHO the most pernicious of that sh1te shows up in media aimed at and usually produced by women.

I actually think it's mainly women driving it, not men. Does anyone seriously think men find the duck face, 5 inches thick makeup, stripper heels or butt implants attractive? I certainly don't and never have.

I don't think the average guy goes round scrutinising women with a microscope at all. He just likes some and doesn't like others. It's apparently a pickup technique that men have to be taught to "neg" women as it doesn't come naturally to them, only to assholes.

Advertisement