Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I cannot post Irish words.

• 24-01-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I cannot post Irish words on boards.ie. If for example, I post the Irish word for bag: m-a(fada)-l-a

-- what shows on my post is only the letter 'm'. As can be seen below:

m

-- does anyone know what's going on here?

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I cannot post Irish words on boards.ie. If for example, I post the Irish word for bag: m-a(fada)-l-a

m

Cheers.

Are you using the "responsive" version of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

m

Cheers.

Try this:

Cheers = Sláinte

To print sláinte phress all letters as usual except á.

Re à press on the A for a few seconds longer than usual. A menu of accented As will appear above the keyboard. Move your finger to the one on the extreme left and then move it right as far as á.
    Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are you using a phone, tablet or computer?

the right ALT key on computers work for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

For á on a computer keyboard just type AltGr a. Similarly for the other vowels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think it's a technical issue with Boards.ie here, rather than the OP's typing. The new version of the site puts a blank space in the place of many accented characters. It's something the developers have known about for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s probably not the OP. Boards has current technical issues in displaying certain special characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Are you using the "responsive" version of the site?

Hi IO. What's 'responsive' version?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

feargale wrote: »
    Try this:

Cheers = Slte

To print slte phress all letters as usual except
    Re ress on the A for a few seconds longer than usual. A menu of accented As will appear above the keyboard. Move your finger to the one on the extreme left and then move it right as far as Go n-e an br leat.

Hi feargale.

Pressing down on 'a' just output loads of a's.

Are you using a phone, tablet or computer?

the right ALT key on computers work for me

Hi Carawaystick.

A desktop pc. Do you mean the 'Alt Gr' key? I tried that and here's the result: slte

The output should have shown the Irish word for cheers but oddly drops multiple letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you need to have 'language' on your computer set to Irish for that to work. I keep mine on Irish even though I don't speak it as it is handy for all the local words/placenames that need fadas (does that need a fada? :D ) and it doesn't make any difference to typing English.

looksee wrote: »
    I think you need to have 'language' on your computer set to Irish for that to work. I keep mine on Irish even though I don't speak it as it is handy for all the local words/placenames that need fadas (does that need a fada? :D ) and it doesn't make any difference to typing English.

Hi looksee.

But I've tried the fadas on Reddit and there's no issue so the problem seems to be on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Are you using a mac? On my previous mac I needed to press alt - letter to get a fada. On my current mac I have to hold the letter key and then I get a selection of accents to choose from. It seems to work fine on boards if I do it that way.

á é í ó ú

iguana wrote: »
    Are you using a mac? On my previous mac I needed to press alt - letter to get a fada. On my current mac I have to hold the letter key and then I get a selection of accents to choose from. It seems to work fine on boards if I do it that way.

ú

No. I'm using GNU/Linux (Debian).

As I mentioned previously to looksee, the fadas work fine in Reddit. I use Firefox for both Reddit and Boards. The fadas are not an issue on any other site or application (e.g. LibreOffice).

For n a computer keyboard just type AltGr a. Similarly for the other vowels.

Hi GL. Yes, the 'Alt Gr' key and letters a,i,o,etc. works fine in showing the letters with fadas. They just wont show when I hit submit.

Does the address bar read www.boards.ie/b/forum/31 for this forum, or does it read https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31 ?

I just tried boards.ie and reddit in a fresh Firefox profile. I posted the Irish word for cheers on both. It was borked on boards.ie but perfect on reddit.

This is on the MATE Desktop Environment.

444689.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement