Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't find a marriage

Options
  • 15-01-2018 12:33am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to the 1911 Census Roger Kinahan and Mary Boyce have been married 15 years but I can find no trace of their marriage in the civil records at irishgenealogy.ie or Family Search. The records of their children's births tally with what's on the census so I would expect to find the marriage.

Just wondering if someone could check Roots on the off-chance it's listed there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Rodger Kinihan married Mary Boyce on Nov 1, 1894 in the parish of Tubber and Rosemount, Westmeath. Catholics, no parents listed, Thomas and Catherine Barry are the witnesses. That's a parish record trancription off Roots Hermy.

Btw another Roger Keenehan (father, uncle, grandad?) married in the same parish in 1844.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Apologies for my typo - it was Mary, not Margaret - as you've found thanks very much.

And just because I want the parents names (or at least the brides father) there are no such names given.
    I'm 95% sure the bride is who I think she is but that she marries about 30 miles south of her home place.

I believe the 1844 marriage (to Catherine Rafferty) is the parents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Still can't see their civil record even with the date known. Maddening.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Indeed! And if the bride is who I think she is that's the third member of that family I couldn't find a civil marriage record for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I presume you checked Boyle and Royce.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The only Roger Kinihan birth is
    Roger Kinahan, b. 12th July 1865, Suntown?, Moate, Co Westmeath; parents Roger Kinahan and Catherine Rafferty [Athlone Group ID7372912] Jane Sweeney registered the birth. http://bit.ly/2B2Awsn

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Mary was probably a minor when she married - a Mary Boyce was born 2nd Feb 1878 in Corry, Ballinacargy, Co Westmeath, daughter of John Boyce, farmer and Mary Leavy [Mullingar 1878 Group ID 8863705 http://bit.ly/2EGBYTx] - maybe that's why the marriage wasn't registered???

My hope is that she is the Mary Boyce born in 1875 to William Boyce and Ellen Robinson but that means she's marrying in her husbands parish rather than in her own home place in Rathowen.

Mary born in 1878 died aged 5 months old.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »

Only a genealogist could read that with both a wry smile and a nod of the head. :)

pinkypinky wrote: »

You know, I hadn't checked till just now but thought I better lest I miss something.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

This nut was easier to crack than I'd thought.

First two children born to them in the mothers home place in Rathowen so I think I have my proof.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Great work!

Genealogy Forum Mod

One last thing...

I can't find a birth record for their son James born after Kate (b. 1899) and before Ellen (b. 1901).
    Would someone mind checking Roots in case there's a mention of it there?

Genealogy Forum Mod

There's a baptism for him: 9/8/1899 from Coolalore.
    Mother is down as Mary Boyer.
    Godparents: Edward Geoghegan, Ellen Seery

Genealogy Forum Mod

The Census has them in Coolatore so I'd say that's it except the civil record of his sister's birth is dated Oct 5th 1899.
    EDIT: I misread it - the sister's born in 1897!:o

Cheers pinky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If I could trouble ye once last time on this family...

I can't find a civil birth record for Roger and Mary's daughter Bridget (b. ~1909) and am wondering if there's mention of her on Roots.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Born Coolatore 12/2/1909 baptised 2 days later. Mother Maria Boyce this time. SS:Michael Smyth, Maria A McNeill

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's terrific pinky - thanks very much.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement