Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

• 27-12-2017 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

So folks, got the 16GB from Santa. Really enjoying it so far. Superb build quality, both controllers are excellent. Speech function works very well. Downloaded Mame from the play store & Kodi.

Only scratching the surface at this point I’m sure, so what have you done with yours? Any recommendations ?

Mod Edit: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
    Davy wrote: »

This thread is here because so many people have bought the Shield (many are from bargain alerts), and to help posters get the most out of it. But discussion of anything dodgy is not allowed either on thread or by requesting of PM's.

Consider this post as the final warning, automatic ban for anyone not following these rules.

I would ask posters to report any posts and not replying to them please.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Haven't tried this yet but looks like nice integration of IPTV directly into the built in "Live Channels" part of android.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/6rfcoe/how_to_use_tvirl_with_your_provider_iptv_into/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have RetroX on mine.

Have been playing games from Amiga classics to game cube.

Just this morning I did a few rounds of wipe out from the play station.

I have also introduced my young lad to the Atari classic centipede :)

Must have app imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

One of the downsides of the Android Tv OS is that most of the apps that you might sideload will not show up on the main page you have to dig down through settings apps to launch but there is an app on the Google play store called TV APP Repo that allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen to these unofficial apps. Try it, it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

One of the downsides of the Android Tv OS is that most of the apps that you might sideload will not show up on the main page you have to dig down through settings apps to launch but there is an app on the Google play store called TV APP Repo that allows you to create shortcuts on the home screen to these unofficial apps. Try it, it works great.

And Sideload Launcher too From The PlayStore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    I have RetroX on mine.

Have been playing games from Amiga classics to game cube.

Just this morning I did a few rounds of wipe out from the play station.

I have also introduced my young lad to the Atari classic centipede :)

Must have app imo.

Put mame on mine for 2 of my old favorites, Rygar and Wonderboy. The former is a lot faster than I remember it to be in the arcade, but brilliant nonetheless. Gotta be an age & reflexes thing I guess!

• Advertisement

Mine is giving me warnings about being low on space now, and I'm a bit confused about where I'm supposed to get extra storage space - because I've actually very few apps on mine.

Have plex - kodi - Netflix - and RetroX and a screen saver app (aerial dream)

I'm so low on space that I couldn't download fairy small games from the play store last night.

Anyone know a quick and easy way to free up space?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Mine is giving me warnings about being low on space now, and I'm a bit confused about where I'm supposed to get extra storage space - because I've actually very few apps on mine.

Have plex - kodi - Netflix - and RetroX and a screen saver app (aerial dream)

I'm so low on space that I couldn't download fairy small games from the play store last night.

Anyone know a quick and easy way to free up space?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BGTG3JA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

dodzy wrote: »

May not fix the issue if its Plex using the space

May not fix the issue if its Plex using the space

I'm a subscriber to plex (if that makes sense) ie I'm availing of an iptv server.

So not sure how that affects space on the shield or not?

I'm a subscriber to plex (if that makes sense) ie I'm availing of an iptv server.

Plex has nothing to do with IPTV. Not sure what you mean

• Advertisement

Check the thumbnail folder in kodi.Not that it always happens,but cached images in the thumbnail folder( in Android>Data>.Kodi>Userdata>Thumbnails ) can grow to huge sizes GB's.
    Depending on the content you are using.So if it's large you can delete it and restart Kodi.It'll populate again over time.
    Regarding other space usage,you'll have to comb through your setup and see what's eating all the space.....i.e. check retro roms,download folders etc,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

bazzz wrote: »
    Check the thumbnail folder in kodi.Not that it always happens,but cached images in the thumbnail folder( in Android>Data>.Kodi>Userdata>Thumbnails ) can grow to huge sizes GB's.
    Depending on the content you are using.So if it's large you can delete it and restart Kodi.It'll populate again over time.
    Regarding other space usage,you'll have to comb through your setup and see what's eating all the space.....i.e. check retro roms,download folders etc,etc.

Should be doing this regularly anyway, along with purging packages, clearing cache etc. Also, some add ons have the facility whereby you can do the same within them so don't forget that.

I don't want to get into specific add ons though as that will probably lead the thread being closed (as per the Android Devices forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Has anyone figured out how to fast forward a video while using the latest YouTube app?

Has anyone figured out how to fast forward a video while using the latest YouTube app?

You just scroll up on to the progress bar and press left(backwards) or right(fastforward).

Plex has nothing to do with IPTV. Not sure what you mean

I have iptv setup (all live channels) through my plex.

I have iptv setup (all live channels) through my plex.

If you are not running the Plex server you will not be storing anything on the shield. Sounds like you are connecting to someone else's Plex server

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Can anyone who's got a really good Shield setup please PM me. Would like to ask a few questions directly if possible. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is anyone having the problem of their plex media server randomly going offline?

Mine goes off at random times and has to be restarted manually

Any ideas what could be causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

Guys is anyone having the problem of their plex media server randomly going offline?

Mine goes off at random times and has to be restarted manually

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I found Plex to be a bit of a chore although that doesn’t seem to be the common experience.

I had plex server crashes, no sound via my Sony surround system and laggy streaming. Gave up and went with Kodi and have had none of these issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just bookmarking/following the thread. I have a decent set up. I customised icons and a sideloaded a few of the more popular ad-free apps.

I am in the midst of a wedding, funeral and New years. I would not be great at posting today,tomorrow and maybe the next day, but i am interested in seeing others posts.

Has anyone used the custom launcher?
    have the Xiaomi in the back room, and other boxes up stairs. With a mini PC in the cloakroom, i am not seeing the full benefits of the Shield. Or should i say, its worth. Will be interested in others.

That was a longer post than i meant. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Is there anyway to get the iPlayer without a VPN?

VonZan wrote: »

Yeah move to England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not without VPN, but for free and less hassle yep.
    But a static VPN is worth paying for. I had written more. Not sure what I wrote is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭funnyname

Change DNS settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

I have the 2017 Shield since launch. Love it. We watch all of our content on it.

I got a 256SSD and mounted it as internal storage. I have plex running on it and it is great. I am not a fan of KODI but by all accounts it run great on the Shield as well.

Gaming, I subscribed to the GeForce streaming thing for a while and bought The Witcher through that service. PLayed very well, there were some pixelating issue when the game got busy. I put in over 80 hours of game play so it is definitely playable. After that I just bought a PS4 so haven’t really been playing games on the Shield since.

I tried a couple of different emulators and could never find a really good experience, although I didn’t put much time into it.

Overall the shield is great, well worth what I payed for it for how much it is being used. And compared to other Android Boxes there is no comparison. The speed, support and updates are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

mine is arriving next week... cant wait
    im getting it to replace my sky sub which i cancelled with iptv, firestick for netflix, youtube, old xbox360 with GEstream/Android games, emulator. not a big gamer but sure ill have some fun ,, and plenty more to keep me busy.
    looking forward to seeing how google assistant works too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

If anyone has an idiots guide to emulators I'd appreciate a pm. I've tried retroarch but can't get anything to really run properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

If anyone has an idiots guide to emulators I'd appreciate a pm. I've tried retroarch but can't get anything to really run properly.

I’m in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

nedd wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat.

Happy chick app would be a good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I would also appreciate the PM on this. Bit stuck on it.

Advertisement