Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gonzaga Chess Classic

• 08-12-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

There is an amazing line up for the forthcoming Gonzaga Masters, always a very enjoyable tournament. One thing I don't understand though is whether entrant Stanley Yin with a rating of 2239 is the same Stanley Yin who recently won the Kilkenny Challengers (under 2000) tournament. Surely his rating couldn't have gone up that much for winning in Kilkenny? If it is the same guy, how was he eligible to play in Kilkenny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bombadil10

Could be his FIDE rating that is being displayed? Kilkenny was not FIDE rated, I believe the top section of Gonzaga is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

His ICU rating is based off two games, both wins in he Armstrong. One defeat could easily cost him 200 points, so he entered Kilkenny based on his FIDE rating, which is presumably more realistic as it incorporates more games.

Edit - in fact, he lost 74 points in winning Kilkenny on 5/6, which shows that his ICU rating isn't really to be trusted quite yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

cdeb wrote: »
    His ICU rating is based off two games, both wins in he Armstrong. One defeat could easily cost him 200 points, so he entered Kilkenny based on his FIDE rating, which is presumably more realistic as it incorporates more games.

Edit - in fact, he lost 74 points in winning Kilkenny on 5/6, which shows that his ICU rating isn't really to be trusted quite yet

His FIDE rating is 1973. Would that not be given as an ICU rating if he didn't have one?
    You say that he lost 74 points in kilkenny, was that from a 2313 rating or from his 2239?
    There is a huge difference between 1973 and 2239, if he is around 2000 standard but playing with a 2239 rating then anyone who beats him is going to get a hat full of undeserved rating points.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    His FIDE rating is 1973. Would that not be given as an ICU rating if he didn't have one?
    He had an ICU rating - it was 2273. But it was based on two games, so it wasn't really reliable.
    You say that he lost 74 points in kilkenny, was that from a 2313 rating or from his 2239?
    From 2239; he's down to 2165 now.
    There is a huge difference between 1973 and 2239, if he is around 2000 standard but playing with a 2239 rating then anyone who beats him is going to get a hat full of undeserved rating points.
    Yes, but that's just the way the ratings system works with new players. It all comes out in the wash in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

There is an amazing line up for the forthcoming Gonzaga Masters, always a very enjoyable tournament.

Great recruitment work by the 4th years. Alexander the latest entrant which brings it to 4 GMs.. for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's nice to see the tournament doing so well. I remember the top section there struggling badly for numbers - I just looked up some old crosstables, and 2005 and 2006 had 6 players each in the top section.

It is one of my favourite tournaments and the only one that offers me an appearance fee. I wonder if the titled players are getting one too? The students do a great job organizing it and the five round FIDE rated format is one that I wish was used more in Irish tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

5 GM's and 2 IM's are currently signed up to play. It will surely be the strongest fide weekender in Ireland.
    I can't say with any certainty but I know the organisers were able to get sponsorship this year. Hopefully all the top local players play as its a rare chance to play GM's in fide rated games. 
    Not sure if there is a cap on the number of participants but the tournament is only 5 rounds and there is quite a bit of interest from foreign players. My advice for anyone looking to play would be to register early.

It is great to have a Dublin tournament like Gonzaga with ample free car parking!! Such a rarity these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

A little over a couple of weeks until Gonzaga starts, anyone thinking of playing in the masters needs to get their skates on as there are already 35 people registered for a 5 round tournament.

David Eggleston is latest IM to register but still no sign of Ireland/Dublins top players which is disappointing.

• Advertisement

gonzaga17.png
    The entry's been dissappointing, given the sterling work that's been done to get a collection of titled players that you don't see in this country outside of Bunratty and Kilkenny. Talk of Ireland's top players not playing in tournaments because they can't get a decent game is seriously undercut when they don't show for something like this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Stanley Yin, who is German-based, in that middle clump. So that's a total of 1 Irish player rated over 2000 who doesn't play for Gonzaga?

A little over a couple of weeks until Gonzaga starts, anyone thinking of playing in the masters needs to get their skates on as there are already 35 people registered for a 5 round tournament.

David Eggleston is latest IM to register but still no sign of Ireland/Dublins top players which is disappointing.

Still a fantastic entry!! I don't think that anyone who isn't playing will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

The Masters draw will be going up this week. Once drawn, entries will be closed. I suggest anyone considering entering that section to do so by Tuesday midnight to avoid disappointment.

The draws for the other sections will also be going up before Friday evening. Late-entries will be drawn against each other to avoid delays to everyone else.

Gonzaga has over twice as many entrants and is far stronger than the 2016 City of Dublin despite the C.O.D having more prize money. The Leinster Championship, once also held in Dublin City centre, had such poor entries that it got swallowed up by the Malahide Congress.The Irish championship has become a shadow of its former self. The Dublin Classic and the Dublin Easter tournaments no longer exist.
    Is it just possible that most Irish chess players do NOT want Dublin city centre venues? Why do we keep getting them until the tournaments become extinct? Why such big prizes for the C.O.D? Who does it suit to organise tournaments in the centre of Dublin? When will the LCU learn that the customer is always right?
    Gonzaga and Malahide should be the models for Dublin tournaments . Easy access and free parking make a huge difference to prospective entrants and the people who drive them to and from venues.

Gonzaga has over twice as many entrants and is far stronger than the 2016 City of Dublin despite the C.O.D having more prize money.
    I think your point about parking is valid, but this is hardly a typical Gonzaga tournament. A lot of kudos is due to the team of kids organising it and the support they have clearly had from Gonzaga's senior players.

Have to say, the venue for the live boards is particularly impressive. Best chess venue I've seen in the country; really professional looking. I think only the Bunratty library comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Not everyone drives.
    From where I live in SW Dublin, the Ailsa Club near the airport is very awkward to get to by public transport and even Gonzaga is not straightforward as it involves a bus, long walk, LUAS and then another short walk. Also UCD is not well served by buses at the weekend.

Top 4 Masters games here: http://www.icu.ie/live/gonzaga/tfd.htm

Not everyone drives.
    From where I live in SW Dublin, the Ailsa Club near the airport is very awkward to get to by public transport and even Gonzaga is not straightforward as it involves a bus, long walk, LUAS and then another short walk. Also UCD is not well served by buses at the weekend.

You played in Marienbad and many other international tournaments so getting to Gonzaga shouldn't be beyond you. Nowhere is going to suit everyone 100% but as all the best supported tournaments are outside Dublin city centre that would appear to be what the majority want. As it is some people are organising tournaments to suit themselves instead of the players.
    Gonzaga is a wonderful venue. The library is well lit, quiet and very comfortable and the theatre is as good as the London Classic , Dortmund or the Tata Steel, possibly even better.
    Gonzaga is a really friendly and brilliantly run tournament, very enjoyable. Congrats to all concerned, I can't praise you highly enough ( and I'm not just saying this because I was bribed :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Having visited yesterday (thanks to lifts from my wife) I must say I was very impressed both by the new physical improvements in Gonzaga but also the running of the tournament which does seem to have been superb. So I might consider playing next time; transport apart, I had already booked a trip away for the Sunday so could not enter.

On sodacat's first point, travelling TO a tournament away from home but then enjoying just a short walk to/from games is greatly preferable to dragging oneself home on 2+ buses after an evening loss, and then having to do the reverse journey next morning on insufficient sleep.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that the closing date for early discount is tomorrow (Saturday) night. We have a great entry again this year. 4GM's, 3IM's, 3FM's and 2WFM's.

As always, we're trying to improve the tournament. This year we are very hopeful that we will have a catering company offering hot breakfasts and lunches in our canteen on Saturday and Sunday. I know the journey into Ranelagh isn't always convenient and can be rushed if your game went on too long. I've also heard something about fries curing hangovers on Sunday mornings... Hopefully people will eat with us to encourage the company back in future years.

We do have one slight negative for Friday night. Unfortunately the college suffered a significant tragedy early last week in the death of 2 teachers. School was naturally disrupted for a week with removals and funerals. One consequence of this is that the school musical was pushed back a week and it now overlaps with our Friday night. Therefore the Masters will not be able to use the library and theatre for the 1st Round only. We will make sure that normal service resumes on Saturday and Sunday and that the musical doesn't impact on the Friday night other than the brief venue-change. We really loved housing the Masters in the library and theatre and we want that to be a tradition that continues.

Oh, and by special request, we have managed to stop that ticking pendulum in the library! No excuses now :)

Oh, and by special request, we have managed to stop that ticking pendulum in the library! No excuses now :)
    Young folks who've never played in a hall full of analogue clocks, I presume! I can't say I'd noticed. :)

The hot food sounds like a great addition.

Great line up yet again for Gonzaga, it really has become one of our very best tournaments!!

Draws are up here: https://www.icu.ie/articles/746

I just wanted to say well done to the organizers again this year. Record numbers, hot food, and the usual high standards were all in evidence.

Advertisement