Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Is there a fixed contract ?

Heading to Tenerife in july, would this be a good option for a mifi device?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is there a fixed contract ?

Heading to Tenerife in july, would this be a good option for a mifi device?

Nope, it is pre pay, you can leave at any time.

Going to Spain, you will need to buy a data add-on, 1GB would be good, but even that isn't a lot of data for mifi, I certainly wouldn't do any video streaming with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

I have suspicion they block hotspots. Just joined them recently and one of my tablet doesnt get internet, while other work not quite same as used to with Three. They t&c forbids hotspot. So maybe they do enforce it unlike other crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Looks like a great deal. I see it was 10gb data now 20gb. Could they change it back to 10gb in a few months? Or alter the inclusive minutes? I presume they can as it's not a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have it. Signed up on the 18th may. So far so good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭NTC

Just looking at the site there.

Is there a way to use my existing number? I can't see an option for that.

EDIT: Found the link. https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&_ga=1.185450474.239072031.1464787934&affiliatedcode=0

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

- Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US [2] [3]

Wonder does this mean same as using at home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

If they weren't piggy backing on the 3 network I would be all over this deal. Their service is shocking though, I live in a fairly big town and most people I know can't get 3g anymore, let alone 4g.

If they weren't piggy backing on the 3 network I would be all over this deal. Their service is shocking though, I live in a fairly big town and most people I know can't get 3g anymore, let alone 4g.
    I'm with Emobile and they're pretty patchy also. Though I'd imagine 3 are better than Emobile?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm with Emobile and they're pretty patchy also. Though I'd imagine 3 are better than Emobile?

I can sit my phone(emobile) beside a family members right now. I have 4g, she has E. This isn't me over exaggerating, they have gone to crap since the merger with o2.

• Advertisement

That's disappointing to hear. I'll stay with Emobile so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

bk wrote: »
    Data Roaming Add On details here:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

For Spain:
    - 50MB €1.99
    - 250MB €5
    - 500MB €7
    - 1GB €12

All valid for 30 days.

That's not so bad.
    You can buy on Orange payg sim in Spain for €8.95 which includes 1GB of 4G data.
    However with Lycamobile you'd still have free roaming on your monthly texts and calls (from what I understand anyhow).

NTC wrote: »
    Just looking at the site there.

Is there a way to use my existing number? I can't see an option for that.

EDIT: Found the link. https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&_ga=1.185450474.239072031.1464787934&affiliatedcode=0

Yes they send you out free sim then you port your number over.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

Fantastic deal IMO from Lycamobile.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle

Ireland Plus - €15 per month:
    - 20GB 3G Data
    - Unlimited any network (including landlines) calls [1]
    - Unlimited texts [1]
    - Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US [2] [3]
    - Free calls and texts to Lyca numbers in Poland + Romania

I have to say, an absolutely brilliant deal, totally blows Tesco Mobile out of the water, specially as Tesco Mobile seems to be going down the drain now [4]

And add to all that very good rates for calling and texting international numbers.

[1] Seems to be 8,000 minutes calls and texts Fair Usage Policy, plenty IMO.
    [2] http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
    [3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf
    [4] Tesco Mobile has started randomly cutting off people with no warning (phone just stops working) for "security" reasons, massive amounts of controversy about it over on the TM forum, people are extremely unhappy. Also customer support has gone to the dogs and their roaming rates are terrible (many people think they maybe against the new EU roaming rules, they have been reported to Irish and EU regulators!).

I've just moved myself and the gf from TM to this Lyca deal and very happy so far.

I was with lycamobile before. Wouldn't go back to them. Their data speeds weren't great maybe only 2mb d and 1 u. Strange thing was when I switched to TM I got 8d and 2u in the same location. Tried to use LM as a hotspot before and they wouldn't allow me.

Someone commented that TM has gone stale. I don't want them to change their price plan because its great value for money and get roughly 4 months free top up a year due to the club card points.

In addition LM t&c aren't clear and they can change their offer at any time

I was with lycamobile before. Wouldn't go back to them. Their data speeds weren't great maybe only 2mb d and 1 u. Strange thing was when I switched to TM I got 8d and 2u in the same location. Tried to use LM as a hotspot before and they wouldn't allow me.

Someone commented that TM has gone stale. I don't want them to change their price plan because its great value for money and get roughly 4 months free top up a year due to the club card points.

I switched from tesco and don't notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

[QUOTE)In addition LM t&c aren't clear and they can change their offer at any time[/QUOTE]

Surely same can be said of any other providers PAYG plan. 48 recently changed some of their plans

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thing is mobile services can be extremely variable on all networks. It can be great in one area and terrible in the next.

The great thing about Lyca is that they offer a free SIM, so you can simply try it out to see what the reception is like in your area and the places you normally visit.

And if you do sign up to this plan, you can always move after just one month (or sooner) as you aren't in a contract, if you find it doesn't work out.

So really no harm in trying it out.

I've switched from TM and haven't noticed a difference in speeds. But then I'm not a heavy data user (really just for whatsapp, the odd bit of surfing, etc.).

I agree I was with TM, but I've now moved because the really horrible changes they have made in the last two months.

They have started simply cutting people off with no warning, your phone simply goes dead!

This was seemingly first discovered when an elderly lady who was in hospital, sick, had her phone cut off, without warning or explanation!!!

They similarly have cut people off when on holidays abroad.

Just go read the comments on the TM forum. The thread about it has 90,000 views and customers are outraged and worried about it. Yet TM customer support have responded to it terribly and they still haven't changed this terrible new policy. They just keep saying that it is their new "security" policy and that they can't discuss it!

They also actually increased roaming fees last month due to the new EU roaming rules! Everyone thinks this change at least goes against the heart of the EU roaming directive, if not the law (and people are certainly questioning that).

Given this situation, I just can't support them any more and I can't risk my elderly parents and gf being on Tesco Mobile and them just cutting them off without warning. So I'm moving everyone off them.

I was using the Tesco clubcard vouchers for it too, now I'll have them use them on something else.

That is pretty much true of all providers. They are all constantly changing thier plans.

Just look at Tesco Mobile suddenly cutting people off with no warning.

If Lyca do change their plan you can always just move, you aren't trapped in a contract.

As for people questions on coverage and performance. I think the general consensus is that:

- Vodafone has by far the best network coverage and fastest speeds. However the closest plan to this costs €30 and you only get 5GB of data.

- Meteor/eMobile are the middle tier. Not the best, but pretty good speeds and coverage. The closest plan costs €30 and gets you 15GB of data.

- Three, all you can eat data, but terrible speeds, because lots of people are using it as a cheap broadband replacement and taking advantage of the no caps. ok coverage.

- Lyca, Tesco Mobile, 48 Months, etc. on the old o2 network. Ok coverage and ok speeds, but by far the cheapest offers.

So basically you get what you pay for. Want excellent speeds and coverage, then go with Vodafone or Metwor, but pay twice as much.

For me, Lyca, etc. are all I need. I've wifi at home and work, so I just need mobile data when out and about and normally just to do whatsapp, imessage, email, some browsing, etc. Nothing heavy duty, so I find these cheaper deals suit me perfectly and save me money. However it may not be for everyone, specially if you watch a lot of video on your phone.

But remember, this isn't a contract, so no harm in trying. If it turns out not to suit you then you can always move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also you might want a AYCE data package, so you you never have your credit suddenly disappear.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Also you might want a AYCE data package, so you you never have your credit suddenly disappear.

True. Though with this particular lyca package, there is no danger of that. You buy the bundle upfront, if you pay €15 for it, then you don't have any credit left on your phone. So if you go over the 20GB of your package, then it simply stops working, you credit can't disappear as there isn't any!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

So "Lyca, Tesco Mobile, 48 Months, etc. on the old o2 network" - are lyca definitely on the same network as 48 ?
    I am with 48 and find the coverage excellent but the lack of roaming data is bad so if I got the same coverage but with roaming data I would be delighted.
    As for people questions on coverage and performance. I think the general consensus is that:

- Vodafone has by far the best network coverage and fastest speeds. However the closest plan to this costs €30 and you only get 5GB of data.

- Meteor/eMobile are the middle tier. Not the best, but pretty good speeds and coverage. The closest plan costs €30 and gets you 15GB of data.

- Three, all you can eat data, but terrible speeds, because lots of people are using it as a cheap broadband replacement and taking advantage of the no caps. ok coverage.

- Lyca, Tesco Mobile, 48 Months, etc. on the old o2 network. Ok coverage and ok speeds, but by far the cheapest offers.

So basically you get what you pay for. Want excellent speeds and coverage, then go with Vodafone or Metwor, but pay twice as much.

For me, Lyca, etc. are all I need. I've wifi at home and work, so I just need mobile data when out and about and normally just to do whatsapp, imessage, email, some browsing, etc. Nothing heavy duty, so I find these cheaper deals suit me perfectly and save me money. However it may not be for everyone, specially if you watch a lot of video on your phone.

But remember, this isn't a contract, so no harm in trying. If it turns out not to suit you then you can always move.

I'm about to order a sim and see there's a €5 bonus if you fill out referred by a friend.

Are we allowed on boards to use the referral option to get the €5 added to our accounts?

If so then can you PM me your phone number BK and I'll put it in my sim order.

I can then PM mine on to the next poster.

Let me know what you think :D

Think I also saw if you port your number over, they give you €10 credit. Though it's €2 per month for 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

Was looking at this for the Euro's as a good option, but then i seen the price of the data add on...E55 for 1GB of data in France!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

does this include ID Mobile?

ID mobile are using the 4G network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I use Lycamobile for over a year and indeed network is great value. Let me share with you some observations.

1. Free Roaming is free, when I was in USA my calls were simply deducted from my national bundle and incoming was completely free. There was no data in USA and if you have no phone with US frequencies then range is not so good. In Europe roaming works very well, in some places internet is incredibly fast - you need to purchase a special data bundle for that.
    2. You can have phone number from USA, UK, Poland or Romania added to your SIM card. In theory that is for time when you are roaming, so you get local number where you could be easily called, but I found it more useful when I'm in Ireland and Americans can call me without paying any international charges. Receiving those calls seems to be always free, but sometime you need to pay fiver to keep number.
    3. Internet is very slow, I switched from TM and in my region it is visibly slower. As I mentioned above, it often seems to work better in roaming than in Ireland.
    4. Promotions are very complicated, but it seems that everything works in your favor as they would for example forget to disable some old promotion and you would be getting extra free minutes.
    5. Auto top up does not work that good, I still run out of credit for some reason.

hecmail wrote: »
    Was looking at this for the Euro's as a good option, but then i seen the price of the data add on...E55 for 1GB of data in France!

Ouch!
    Have a read of this http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/France

• Advertisement

Going to order the sim before midnight.
    If anyone wants to PM me their Lycamobile phone number within the next hour or so then I'll include it so you get the free €5.

First come first served... that's if BK isn't interested in the first place :-)

Advertisement