Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time spent on Cleaning

• 08-10-2019 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

How long does it take you to clean your house? I can do it in a fairly short space of time but I know others take longer.
    Done my kitchen tonight in about 10 minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on the room and the time of year. In summer the whole house is vacuumed and dusted in 20 minutes. In winter, when there isn't as much to do outdoors, I could take 30 minutes just doing the sitting room - vacuum, dust, wax, clean suite, etc. In winter the bathroom might take twenty minutes every couple of weeks doing a deep clean of shower unit, tiles and so on. A winter kitchen clean could be half a day if all units are cleaned, fridge and cooker deep cleaned. So very dependent on the time available and other priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Takes our cleaner a couple of hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 pay someone else to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It depends on the room and the time of year. In summer the whole house is vacuumed and dusted in 20 minutes. In winter, when there isn't as much to do outdoors, I could take 30 minutes just doing the sitting room - vacuum, dust, wax, clean suite, etc. In winter the bathroom might take twenty minutes every couple of weeks doing a deep clean of shower unit, tiles and so on. A winter kitchen clean could be half a day if all units are cleaned, fridge and cooker deep cleaned. So very dependent on the time available and other priorities.

When I say 10 minutes in the kitchen that was fairly basic. Spray the counters, Cif in the sink and then clean the hob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

If anyone wants to hire me as a cleaner I can do evenings or weekends. I don't use any shop bought sprays or wipes with potentially harmful and dangerous chemicals that have who knows what in them. I will lick everything clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Couldn't be bothered cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Guy Person wrote: »
    If anyone wants to hire me as a cleaner I can do evenings or weekends. I don't use any shop bought sprays or wipes with potentially harmful and dangerous chemicals that have who knows what in them. I will lick everything clean.

Do you wash yourself by rolling around in the morning dew? None of that nasty soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Couldn't be bothered cleaning.

You and Quentin Crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

You and Quentin Crisp.

Very little more than that in common with him but seems like a sound sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In my home cleaning never stops it is in permanent termoil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have a robovac that vacuums for me... The wife brings me the tea and I put the feet up after I've done the vacuuming.... Shhhh don't tell her....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'll spray cleaner at dirty spots from time to time. If i have the motivation I'll wipe it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Random person I don't know wandering around my place touching my stuff?

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

ZX7R wrote: »
    In my home cleaning never stops it is in permanent termoil

Same here, selection for the Army Ranger Wing would be easier.

Its the forensic aspect of the cleaning that sucks the soul out of me.
    The house is examined as if she is searching for the Holy Grail.
    Even the dog doesn't bother his bollix coming in when she's cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long does it take you to clean your house? I can do it in a fairly short space of time but I know others take longer.
    Done my kitchen tonight in about 10 minutes.

Maybe 45 minutes a day on the whole house (but mine is a small cottage), except Friday which is my big clean day where I clean everything, which takes two to three hours depending if I'm cleaning out the fridge and oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Same here, selection for the Army Ranger Wing would be easier.

Its the forensic aspect of the cleaning that sucks the soul out of me.
    The house is examined as if she is searching for the Holy Grail.
    Even the dog doesn't bother his bollix coming in when she's cleaning.

I try cleaning and helping but the kids they are just dirt magnets ha ha
    Winter time is worse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have a pretty large 2 bed apartment - large living room for an apt and separate kitchen with tiled and wood floors except carpet in main bedroom - so I do a light clean in the kitchen as I cook each day and a wipe down of the bathroom twice a day - about 20 mins in total.

Proper clean of bathroom and kitchen once a week - about 40 mins in total. Vacuum the apartment once a week, mop the floor once a week, dust surfaces - so about 1 hour weekly.

Easier if you do these things in separate chunks than let them build up and do a big blitz. No kids or pets so that makes the need to clean a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Clingfilm over plates.
    No more dirty dishes again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Guy Person wrote: »
    Lick everything clean eh?
    You are hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Lick everything clean eh?
    You are hired.

Let the dog do it, utilise the peasants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

As soon as I am living on my own or with my partner, getting a cleaner in. How anyone would want to waste their free time cleaning is beyond me, provided they can afford it. I get it with kids, teach them responsibility for themselves and learning courtesy in living with others.

But god. After a week of work or coming home past 6 in the evening the kitchen, bathroom, whatever can go to hell for all I care. Only do it because I know if I let it go, I will really let it go (flashbacks to my bedroom as a teen, Never again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hours.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have a pretty large 2 bed apartment - large living room for an apt and separate kitchen with tiled and wood floors except carpet in main bedroom - so I do a light clean in the kitchen as I cook each day and a wipe down of the bathroom twice a day - about 20 mins in total.

Proper clean of bathroom and kitchen once a week - about 40 mins in total. Vacuum the apartment once a week, mop the floor once a week, dust surfaces - so about 1 hour weekly.

Easier if you do these things in separate chunks than let them build up and do a big blitz. No kids or pets so that makes the need to clean a lot less.

What are your favorite weapons for bathroom and kitchen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Cif (Jif) for the bath and sink and chrome fittings, Flash for the shower screen, Flash with bleach for kitchen units (they are white) and countertops. Jif for kitchen sink area.

For deep cleans and very tough dirt/grease - Cillit Bang and a sponge scourer is yer man! :D

Tesco wipes for the light bathroom clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I hate cleaning. Genuinely hate it. As said above by chrissb8, I've plenty other things to do with my free time. There's a huge market there for home cleaners at an affordable price. I'd gladly pay €20/hr to have someone clean, as it shouldn't take more than an hour in general for basic cleaning, hoovering, dusting, etc. I'd pay €25/hr if she wore a maids outfit. €30/hr for a sexy maids outfit. €50/hr for nude cleaning :D

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Cif (Jif) for the bath and sink and chrome fittings, Flash for the shower screen, Flash with bleach for kitchen units (they are white) and countertops. Jif for kitchen sink area.

For deep cleans and very tough dirt/grease - Cillit Bang and a sponge scourer is yer man! :D

Tesco wipes for the light bathroom clean.

I use Jif for the shower screen too. I’ll go over the toilet and sink with a track wipe most of the time as Cif isn’t antibacterial.
    Kitchen is Jif Cream in the sink and cooker top and Jif or flash spray on counters. Rarely use bleach though in case it marks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I use Zoflora for pretty much everything. Cleans well and smells amaaaaaazing. I use fabric conditioner diluted with water in a spray bottle for wooden surfaces e.g. doors, skirting boards. Astonish bathroom spray is really excellent. And for electrical stuff (e.g. TV) and Venetian blinds, tumble dryer sheets work really well to pick up the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I spend an hour a day keeping the place tipped up and most of my weekends deep cleaning, glass cleaning, window cleaning etc. I don’t live cleaning but I like to be at home at the weekend not running about and I clean while I’m here. House is far from spotless with small kids, can be untidy but it’s clean. Favorite weapon for cleaning- my marcher steam cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I get a bird from Bulgaria to call every two weeks to clean the place and to do the ironing. I’ll keep the place ticking over between then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Greentopia wrote: »
    Maybe 45 minutes a day on the whole house (but mine is a small cottage), except Friday which is my big clean day where I clean everything, which takes two to three hours depending if I'm cleaning out the fridge and oven.

Are you ever worried you'll just rub the house away?

Advertisement