Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2020, Another tenner or is it twenty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Will put an extra twenty or so in the pockets of those who never worked a day in their lives with families ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.
    Africa is one.... Yes there is poverty but the ones running the country are rolling in it and don't be mistaken, where do you think the aid money goes....

You only have to look back where €4 million went missing and that's only a drop in the ocean....

Oil rich countries but the poor are not helped one bit by their own government.

Africa is a continent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Could you perhaps give a few links or back up for those points?

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ireland-to-double-foreign-aid-to-more-than-two-billion-euro-by-2030-37866396.html

In this article Coveneny and Varadker commit to increasing Ireland's Foreign Aid spending from the current 800 million a year to 2 billion a year. Varadker finishes the article by saying that ''we'' are making sacrifices considering what that 2 billion a year could be spent on in Ireland. India has a higher military/defence budget and space programme than us yet receives Foreign Aid. Shure don't worry, when Paddy and Mary are over 70 they'll get a Medical card, if they don't freeze or die of pneumonia in rural Ireland when they have to choose between turning the heat on or putting some food on the table and it's only right that Lucky and his wife from Nigeria are given one as soon as they claim asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Will put an extra twenty or so in the pockets of those who never worked a day in their lives with families ..

Maggy cash will be absolutely delighted....

Free house for life, money for nothing, children allowance for a football team, grants, fuel allowance and much much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I don't know how you're doing your maths but you'd have to be driving a real gas guzzler while smoking 40 cigarettes a day and not be a tax payer yet not on social welfare, to be down that kind of money this year or in any of the past ten years. Most of the carbon charges don't even kick in until next May.

Id say on usc alone id be down that at least over the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Willie Odea huffed and puffed about pensioners getting a fiver increase but the Mighty Mouse in Limerick proved he is just a Church mouse in Dublin.

Your Face wrote: »
    Africa is a continent.

Ok but they still are actually rich just not spreading this wealth and are more then happy to see their people die.

Us giving more money is actually just giving more to the rich...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Cina wrote: »
    This is pure nonsense.

Overall Government ODA to increase by €109.8 million in Budget 2019 compared to Budget 2018 – the biggest year-on-year increase since 2006

Estimated Total ODA for 2019 of €816.9 million

817 million last year, did it increase in todays budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

blueshade wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ireland-to-double-foreign-aid-to-more-than-two-billion-euro-by-2030-37866396.html

In this article Coveneny and Varadker commit to increasing Ireland's Foreign Aid spending from the current 800 million a year to 2 billion a year. Varadker finishes the article by saying that ''we'' are making sacrifices considering what that 2 billion a year could be spent on in Ireland. India has a higher military/defence budget and space programme than us yet receives Foreign Aid. Shure don't worry, when Paddy and Mary are over 70 they'll get a Medical card, if they don't freeze or die of pneumonia in rural Ireland when they have to choose between turning the heat on or putting some food on the table and it's only right that Lucky and his wife from Nigeria are given one as soon as they claim asylum.

2030 and promised..... get off the stage dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Once they don't tax me Dutch Gold I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

32 cents out of €100 euro. Stop whinging and enjoy the glow from giving a little.

In 2017, the Government spent €743.42 million on Ireland’s aid programme. This is called Official Development Assistance (ODA) and represented 0.32% of Gross National Product (GNP) or 32 cents in every €100 that the country produces.

The aim of Ireland’s aid programme is to reduce poverty and hunger, particularly in sub- Saharan Africa where the needs are greatest. It supports longterm development and provides humanitarian assistance in over eighty of the world’s poorest countries.

Most of the funding is spent on agriculture and nutrition programmes, health and HIV, education services, and on providing much-needed humanitarian assistance in emergencies situations.

Our programme is delivered by a variety of partners and organisations. In our partner countries we work closely with governments, local authorities and communities. We also work closely with a wide range of national and international Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) to contribute to the eradication of poverty, hunger and human rights violations. Their reach into poor and marginalised communities and their capacity to respond, especially in humanitarian situations, makes them important partners

We also give significant support through the UN and EU, which allows us to engage at a global level and provide assistance to areas outside our partner countries.

https://www.irishaid.ie/what-we-do/how-our-aid-works/where-the-money-goes/

Ok but they still are actually rich just not spreading this wealth and are more then happy to see their people die.

Us giving more money is actually just giving more to the rich...

That's not how international aid works.

Its many degrees more complicated than that.
    Lets just say that Irish Aid doesn't just deposit millions in the bank account of a despot and hope for the best.

Your Face wrote: »
    That's not how international aid works.

Its many degrees more complicated than that.
    Lets just say that Irish Aid doesn't just deposit millions in the bank account of a despot and hope for the best.

Well then how is it the African leaders must have everything go through them 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Well then how is it the African leaders must have everything go through them 1st.

Jesus lad, if you don’t know that you’re talking about just stop talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bigroad

Why don't they get a few trucks ,load them with condoms and drive them into Africa .

Jesus lad, if you don’t know that you’re talking about just stop talking.

A lot of corruption over there but hey it's ok as you say I've no idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

That paschal Donoghue cannot stop spending money- worse than useless.
    When fg got in it was meant to be 50/50
    split on increase spending n tax cuts. Then 2/1 spending v tax cuts. It must be 98/2 at this stage!
    More free houses, more hap, crimbo bonus, fuel allowance more, more, more!

Oh dear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

nthclare wrote: »
    Looks like this budget is going to take another tenner or possibly 20 out of our pockets a week...

So in the last ten years we're all down around 5200 a year ....

Well done Paschal

Good man

Environmentally friendly jobs, therefore filling the pocket's of the people who invested their money in wind turbines etc

Don't tell Jimmy and Mary you need a diesel engine to get them going, or the amount of tonnes of environmental unfriendly organic lubricant it takes to keep them serviced....

Yep

Was this you multiplying 52 by 10? Or do you mean €5,200 in ten years total?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Nearly a billion sent out as aid to some of the richest countries in the world.....

More money for hap...

More money for the influx of refugees that are mainly coming from countries that have absolutely no war or issues that should be the reason of trying to flee.
    Why would I need to prove you wrong? You're the one who made the claims with zero facts or articles or anything to back yourself up. You're the one who should be "proving" yourself, not me. So why don't you back up your claims and we can all go from there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Still wondering why they have a double dole at Christmas when most businesses in retail and warehousing cant hire staff fast enough in December.

I hope the Christmas bonus remains. It really helps me at that time of year because being gravely ill hasn’t lessened the gift expectations. I’m not let off the hook there at all. And actually, I want to get nice gifts for all the people who help me out a lot all the time these days. The money goes right back into the economy so I don’t feel guilty.

It doesn't. It depends on the particular case.

Also you have to keep in mind that some of this aid is used to grow a countries local economy with a view to establishing future trading links. I find that quite a pragmatic investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Is there a war in Africa?
    India?
    Albania?
    You really need to figure out the difference between immigrants and refugees and come back to us when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would love if they gave 10 or 20 to people on welfare, just because it annoys the boards and journal nazi loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anything to be said for another click on the debt clock?

https://commodity.com/debt-clock/ireland/

I would love if they gave 10 or 20 to people on welfare, just because it annoys the boards and journal nazi loons.

What a strange post..... could you expand on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What a strange post..... could you expand on it?

I find it amusing how annoyed certain people here get over welfare payments, as if it makes any difference to their lives. The same nutters who don't believe in science and hate cyclists and people who dont eat meat. Horrible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No increase in minimum wage

If this had been FF with a GE in the offing, you can be damn sure :-

Pensioners would be getting at least €5 a week.
    PAYE workers would be getting a sizeble top up in credits - they'd risk a financial meltdown to buy your vote with your own money.
    Farmers would be getting bigger tax breaks.

Shur, how could that not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

nthclare wrote: »
    lol love it, I'm not very sporty
    That's why you're economics correspondent and we leave the sport to Bob.

Advertisement