Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BROKEN TIMING BELT!!!!!!! OMG , LOL

• 28-04-2012 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭

So is there any come back for me, as my car broke its timing belt,
    Now this timing belt was replaced by garage only couple of thousand miles ago,
    So are they responsible,?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

have you a receipt..

we need more specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

argosy2006 wrote: »
    So is there any come back for me, as my car broke its timing belt,
    Now this timing belt was replaced by garage only couple of thousand miles ago,
    So are they responsible,?
    Daewoo, Ford or Renault? What model/make was it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Pottler wrote: »
    Daewoo, Ford or Renault? What model/make was it:)

Volvo s80 d5
    Sure i got receipt, Cost 800 euro to do belt,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya, you should get some satisfaction there. Based on what you've posted they should be sorting you out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

any garage worth their salt should assist you.

• Advertisement

any garage worth their salt should assist you.
    Not a main dealer, But a well respected garage, Seen it given thumbs up here on many occasions,
    But i doubt they will care,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

INteresting. My next question would be whether or not you got all advised work done. For example (and I dont know anything about your engine layout), is it recommended that belt tensioner be replaced and did you have that done? Same for water pump if its run off that belt?
    The way I see it, its not your problem if all appropriate works were paid for. If you agreed to a short cut, you could be in bother. Either way, I would get it inspected by a volvo dealer who is completely independant of whoever did the belt work for you to get a fair diagnosis of what caused the failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Volvo s80 d5

farout man €800 to get the timing belt installed, that's got to be wrong. It only cost me €150 last year to get the mechanic to put in the timing belt for a mitsubishi colt gl. If that price is correct then i'm astounded.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mickdw wrote: »
    INteresting. My next question would be whether or not you got all advised work done. For example (and I dont know anything about your engine layout), is it recommended that belt tensioner be replaced and did you have that done? Same for water pump if its run off that belt?
    The way I see it, its not your problem if all appropriate works were paid for. If you agreed to a short cut, you could be in bother. Either way, I would get it inspected by a volvo dealer who is completely independant of whoever did the belt work for you to get a fair diagnosis of what caused the failure.

I'd agree with this, "change the timing belt" is like saying "I'll have a sandwich" depending on the type of car you have especially if you are dealing with any indy as you have.

I changed a timing belt and variator recently on my car, and had a half hour conversation with my mechanic as to what exactly was being covered, water pump, balance belt tensioner, etc etc

The term timing belt is a bit misleading, the term timing belt kit is a whole different story as it includes all the other components imo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Interesting thread title, didn't know broken timing belt's were that funny...

:pac:

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    farout man €800 to get the timing belt installed, that's got to be wrong. It only cost me €150 last year to get the mechanic to put in the timing belt for a mitsubishi colt gl. If that price is correct then i'm astounded.

Hi
    Ok belt it so much in its self,
    Water pump is so much
    and tensioners are so much
    Plus labour,
    All adds up
    I don't have receipt to hand,Buti do have it 100%

166man wrote: »

Considering it broke so fast its kinda funny,

Volvo s80 d5
    Renault so?:D?? Actually come to think of it, was this not a Ford effort? Getting a timing belt done is a bit like getting a vasectomy, no guarantee if you end up stuffed, too many variables. A good garage would offer to assist with the repair though but only to some extent, and when all avenues of excuses are exhausted.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, "change the timing belt" is like saying "I'll have a sandwich" depending on the type of car you have especially if you are dealing with any indy as you have.

I changed a timing belt and variator recently on my car, and had a half hour conversation with my mechanic as to what exactly was being covered, water pump, balance belt tensioner, etc etc

The term timing belt is a bit misleading, the term timing belt kit is a whole different story as it includes all the other components imo?

Whole kit, no corners cut, Waterpump, tensioners, belt,
    this was done in Kilkenny,
    By a well thought of garage by a tower....................
    I don't want to name names,
    this car had whole new suspension by same garage, new wishbones,bushings , ball joints, new tyres,all a waste of money now,
    had 2000 spent on it in that garage, now its useless piece of scrap,

Pottler wrote: »
    Renault so?:D??
    I dunno, Pretty sure the d5 is all volvo engine,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

zenno wrote: »

Depends on the car tbh,a lot of the time the timing belt itself is dirt cheap then when you add in the other belts, water pumps and variators, you are looking at hundreds, iirc my entire kit was about 600 in parts alone and two mechanics for the best part of a day to replace everything
    166man wrote: »

They are when you pass them on the side of the road?

OP what make/model car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Very valid point.

On a serious note I'd imagine you would have some comeback against the garage..

Depends on the car tbh,a lot of the time the timing belt itself is dirt cheap then when you add in the other belts, water pumps and variators, you are looking at hundreds, iirc my entire kit was about 600 in parts alone and two mechanics for the best part of a day to replace everything

I see, I thought it was just the timing belt alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

MONEY,MONEY,MONEY must be funny
    IN A RICH MANS WORLD.

Volvo s80 d5 saloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jasus he paid €800, it was hardly just a belt...

Whole kit, no corners cut, Waterpump, tensioners, belt,
    this was done in Kilkenny,
    By a well thought of garage by a tower....................
    I don't want to name names,
    this car had whole new suspension by same garage, new wishbones,bushings , ball joints, new tyres,all a waste of money now,
    had 2000 spent on it in that garage, now its useless piece of scrap,

ignore my post so OP, and my apologies.

I've no idea who you are talking about but I'd go back to them and query it.
    Could be a faulty replacement in terms of how they fixed all the settings, might be something else entirely.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

This is the argument for why mechanics provide the parts rather than fitting ones you buy for cheaper.

The mechanic is liable for the damage to your engine, he'll attempt to find why the belt snapped - and if it can be traced to a manufacturing fault, he can claim recompense that way.

Either way, expect to get a new engine fitted f.o.c. or get a solicitor involved.

gpf101 wrote: »

I know but it wouldn't surprise me with some garages to be honest. Well I know now it was a lot more than just the belt.

gpf101 wrote: »

Depending on the labour costs and the car, a 150e part could easily cost that in labour to replace if its complex tbh

I replaced the entire tb kit and variator on my car recently and it took 12 hours labour for parts that cost 600, now I was fortunate with my mechanic and his charges (and him knowing purists in my chosen car) but even @ 50e an hour thats 600e for labour plus 600e for parts!

complex car tbf. Might not be that bad depending on revs when it cakked it but probably needs valves/guides/seals and....a new belt. Condolences, and it is sickening.:(

O.A.P wrote: »
    MONEY,MONEY,MONEY must be funny
    IN A RICH MANS WORLD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-MERCEDES-300-SD-TURBO-/140742002298?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20c4e0867a

I was gonna buy this to replace by car
    But it auction ended as i was on this thread ironically,
    No timing belt lol
    No electronics, 50 year tax
    sold for 2500$ I missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I know this might sound strange, but what colour was the car?

Tragedy wrote: »
    This is the argument for why mechanics provide the parts rather than fitting ones you buy for cheaper.

The mechanic is liable for the damage to your engine, he'll attempt to find why the belt snapped - and if it can be traced to a manufacturing fault, he can claim recompense that way.

Either way, expect to get a new engine fitted f.o.c. or get a solicitor involved.

Mechanic did indeed supply all parts and orders all the stuff needed to do belt, tensioners waterpump,
    And vacuum pump for brakes, unrelated but another 500 plus for that part,

• Advertisement

I know this might sound strange, but what colour was the car?

Silver type color,are you the mechanic ? lol

Advertisement