Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterside - Swords or Malahide?

• 19-02-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

I remember when Waterside was first developed back 15 years ago or so they sold the address as Malahide and then it was changed back to Swords by some decision therefore knocking off value to some houses.

I just had a link come up on Facebook advertising new houses in Waterside and they have the address down as Malahide.

What is the correct address as its clearly in Swords?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's a grey area because it's right in the middle, but the postal address is Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

Its definitely a strange one.

If you look up Swords on Google maps it encompasses Waterside and Malahide only goes as far as Seabury leaving the so called "Green Belt" in between the two towns.

Whats even funnier is when you look up the Fingal planning map all the applications in Waterside are a mix of Swords and Malahide addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Waterside is right on the boundary between Swords and Malahide, the M1 Motorway is the guide Fingal County Council use. Initially it was classified as Swords.

Then the geopgraphic electoral boundary was changed just as the apartments were going on sale way back in 2004/5

Technically I believe its in the "Malahide" electoral voting area. Post office would be Malahide unless its changed again recently?

I know back in 2004 the developer put the prices of the apartments once the address was Malahide instead of Swords

kravmaga wrote: »
    Waterside is right on the boundary between Swords and Malahide, the M1 Motorway is the guide Fingal County Council use. Initially it was classified as Swords.

How accurate is that though, Kinsealy is east of the M1 but is still Swords...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

It's a grey area because it's right in the middle, but the postal address is Malahide.

Nothing middle about it. 1.7km to Swords, 3.9km to Malahide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Nothing middle about it. 1.7km to Swords, 3.9km to Malahide

It's swords. I saw a raging debate on the "love malahide" Facebook before where someone had done a rake of research and access old town land maps which is what it's all based upon! Not where the electoral area or where your post gets sorted.

Holywell and parts of Santry were at one point in the malahide electoral area, means nothing.

Designed by the developer to stick malahide prices on an estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Definitely not Malahide.

I refer to it as "Little Swords".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

PCros wrote: »
    How accurate is that though, Kinsealy is east of the M1 but is still Swords...

Kinsealy is.....Kinsealy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Eircode finder site gives the address as 'Malahide'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would have thought it would be swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭chosen1

Lived there several years ago and whilst there we got a letter to all residents from Malahide parish.

Jist of it was to stop applying for enrollment to St. Sylvesters school in Malahide as our local parish school was St. Colmchilles in Swords.

Serious brown envelope job there to add an extra few grand into house prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It must cause problems for residents of Waterside, trying to get kids into schools etc. I'd imagine the address would definitely be Swords if it wasn't for the difference in property values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's definitely not Malahide despite the address!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No -there was so much controversary over this the council erected signs up & put notices in the paper to state that it was Swords.Musn’t have paid the final installment of brown envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Its definitely a strange one.

If you look up Swords on Google maps it encompasses Waterside and Malahide only goes as far as Seabury leaving the so called "Green Belt" in between the two towns.

Whats even funnier is when you look up the Fingal planning map all the applications in Waterside are a mix of Swords and Malahide addresses.
    Seabury isn't even in Malahide. Or at least it wasn't when they started building it. They were supposed to get their own school beside the church, but for whatever reasons that never came to fruition.
    Some say the boundary was the river.

The area behind Kinsealy church has now also been re-addressed as Malahide, presumably to sell the houses behind it at a higher price, and oddly enough, I would have thought keeping it as Kinsealy/Kinsaley the price would be high enough anyway.
    I have a relative that lives in Malahide, and I am out there (working) 3 or 4 days of the week, the traffic going to and from the schools is insane. It's mad in a lot of places, but there in particular for what are very short distances (the kids could easily walk) it is crazy.

They are building another school there, and it's up the same hill or going the same direction as all of the other schools.. :D Would love to meet the genius that thought that was a good idea. If that school takes students from waterside, forget entering Malahide before 9am if you are coming from the western side.

Waterside is not even included in Malahide on Google Maps (and that was recently made larger to include some other areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Waterside is in Swords, every dog on the street knows that.

You would have to feel sorry for anyone who bought the developers spin and paid 20% over market to pretend to yourself you live in Malahide.

adox wrote: »
    Kinsealy is.....Kinsealy.

That's incorrect.

The estates like Mount Drinan, Aspen, Drynam etc. are all known as Kinsealy but the address is under Swords. In terms of areas like St Olaves, yes that just has an address as Kinsealy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

Waterside is in the Swords-Seatown electoral division, which is then part of the Swords Local Electoral Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's incorrect.

The estates like Mount Drinan, Aspen, Drynam etc. are all known as Kinsealy but the address is under Swords. In terms of areas like St Olaves, yes that just has an address as Kinsealy.

You said Kinsealy is in Swords which is incorrect.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    You said Kinsealy is in Swords which is incorrect.

When people say Kinsealy you automatically think of the area I just mentioned, not the area on the Malahide Road.

I was also referring to the previous posters comment about the M1 boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's in Swords. The developers of the estate can say what they want but all us locals know its Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Even the people of malahide didn't want to include waterside. Hence they erected a 'welcome to malahide' stone 300/400 metres down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

BKWDR wrote: »
    Even the people of malahide didn't want to include waterside. Hence they erected a 'welcome to malahide' stone 300/400 metres down the road

I live in Portmarnock and noticed Welcome to Portmarnock signs go up recently. I'm convinced it's because of all the new developments going up they are making the boundaries before someone calls Baldoyle or donameade Portmarnock.

The Eircode finder site gives the address as 'Malahide'.
    which means Waterside Eircodes start with the Malahide K36 prefix, as opposed to Swords' K67.

And since house price statistics are published by Eircode prefix, I guess that is what people who care about it, want.
    BKWDR wrote:
    It was probably Fingal Co Co that erected it. So, I presume they would have based it on their understanding of the boundary which which would be the ED. It's a funny old country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In reality it is Swords, in the world of postcodes and property sales it my well be considered Malahide, I doubt it makes any difference to real world values etc. , as its obvious to anyone visiting where it is physically located!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's just called Malahide and it's so far away from the village without even a bus route either it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/waterside-malahide-dublin-150022/

3km west of Malahide village and 1.5km from Swords Main Street , go figure lol

Cannon Kirk Homes New Builds, selling as Malahide address Feb 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

plodder wrote: »
    which means Waterside Eircodes start with the Malahide K36 prefix, as opposed to Swords' K67.

And since house price statistics are published by Eircode prefix, I guess that is what people who care about it, want.

It was probably Fingal Co Co that erected it. So, I presume they would have based it on their understanding of the boundary which which would be the ED. It's a funny old country we live in.

My postcode is K36 and I live in Donabate so that means nothing.

• Advertisement

babyboom wrote: »
    My postcode is K36 and I live in Donabate so that means nothing.
    Right, K36 is Malahide and Donabate. Hadn't realised that before. It's one of those unusual ones that are made up of two or more areas that aren't directly connected.

I live in an area which has its own code for only a couple of hundred people. It's a bizarre system because the CSO does actually publish house price stats by postcode.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/housepricesbyeircode/

Advertisement