Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

soccerc wrote: »
    Since it started snowing all my missus has done is look through the window.......

If it gets any worse I suppose I'll have to let her in.

You following Jimmy Carr on Twitter too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

what a day in Dublin. blizzards on and off all day in the city centre. Walked home from work in heavy snow.

So white outside and so quiet.

Lovely stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Epic journey on the way home from Baggot Street to Stamullen. It took me 3 hours by train/walking. The car got stuck wheel spinning on the bridge over the motorway just before Stamullen. A night in shining armour came to my rescue and reversed it down the hill to get a good run at it. I'm not going out in that tomorrow. Well maybe to make snow people with little people.:D

What are the chances of getting from Stamullen to Portmarnock on Saturday for my brother's wedding. Then onto Summerhill House Hotel in Enniskerry for the reception. :eek:

A nightmare all round. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

only half an inch of snow has fallen here since 9am this morning, feking Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Calibos wrote: »
    I am embaressed to admit this but I have a major case of 'sour grapes' goin on atm.
    On the East Coasts biggest snow day in 23 years Bray Seafront area accumulated 1 inch of hail/ Graupel combo in a half hour shower at 10am. The resulting slush has 'soaked' up what little 2-3 minute showers of hail and graupel we got on and off the rest of the day. ie. Our slush got bulked up. We have had about 30 minutes total in showers today whereas Greystones on the other side of Bray head about 2 miles away has had 30 minutes without falling snow today. Bray has been under a gap in Cloud Streams all day long.

What we have is enough to be massively inconvenient to people but not enough to be worth a play in nor is it aesthetically pleasing to look at.

If this is all Bray can hope for for the rest of this cold period then I would prefer it were gone.

PS. I recognise that as an adult this level of sour grapes and frustration and resultant bad mood and snappyness all because I didn't get the types or amounts of snow I wanted is symptomatic of addiction and I will soon be seeking professional help. :D
    Could howth cause the same shadowing effect as the isle of man is causing in north county dublin??....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 DelBoyCORCAIGH

a1m1m1o1 wrote: »
    Nah you won the gaa final Dublins keeping all its snow sorry:D

I guess ye can have that much;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 realslimshady

Unreal snow here in Lucan flakes are huge.. Think it's heading west.. Never seen anything like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Aldebaran wrote: »

No, son sent it to me by text

Anyway on topic, there is still no snow here in Longford:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Some serious lightning flashes going on far out to sea from here.
    Roads like ice rinks nothing moving for miles, the utter silence only broken by the very distant and gentle rumble of thunder coming in off the sea.
    Absolutely beautiful evening, slight chill in the air at -3.9

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

Snow has started again in Kilcock.
    temp is -2.6

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rite Im setup for the night

Sat in the kitchen where I can look out the back window at a lamp post and rite now I am watching the snow belting down

Opened up a lovely bottle of cider

The Match on the TV so if it stops snowing I can watch that

Laptop setup up with all the weather resources I need to keep me informed for the evening .

Temp -2.8

DP -4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Aldebaran wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Calibos wrote: »
    I am embaressed to admit this but I have a major case of 'sour grapes' goin on atm.
    On the East Coasts biggest snow day in 23 years Bray Seafront area accumulated 1 inch of hail/ Graupel combo in a half hour shower at 10am. The resulting slush has 'soaked' up what little 2-3 minute showers of hail and graupel we got on and off the rest of the day. ie. Our slush got bulked up. We have had about 30 minutes total in showers today whereas Greystones on the other side of Bray head about 2 miles away has had 30 minutes without falling snow today. Bray has been under a gap in Cloud Streams all day long.

What we have is enough to be massively inconvenient to people but not enough to be worth a play in nor is it aesthetically pleasing to look at.

If this is all Bray can hope for for the rest of this cold period then I would prefer it were gone.

PS. I recognise that as an adult this level of sour grapes and frustration and resultant bad mood and snappyness all because I didn't get the types or amounts of snow I wanted is symptomatic of addiction and I will soon be seeking professional help. :D

I feel you pain. I ended up in a huge puddle of cold water at the DART station. However, Bray is a big town!! Take a walk from the beach as far as Ardmore and you can have as much snow as you want. There is easily 6 inches of the stuff where I live at the end of the Herbert Rd. Its only 1.5 miles up the road. Even Pres. Bray (about 500m from the sea) has a really good covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Still belting down here in Belarmine... GO AWAY SNOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Braking action only medium at the airport according to ATC !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Another couple of inches here in Waterford City this evening and more on the way by the looks of the radar. Here is a clip taken today. Both cars in the clip are completely covered again now.

Live data and webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Unreal snow here in Lucan flakes are huge.. Think it's heading west.. Never seen anything like this..

Its amazing isnt it? same where I am lovely heavy flakes, and lots of them, and they keep coming:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

ragg wrote: »
    It hasn't snowed in north county dublin once today :o

Coming down heavilly in Lusk at the moment, and that's our first snow since Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I decided to make a video, with Hitler's opinion on the current weather:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Holy Crap!
    Just saw THE biggest flash of blue lightening I've ever see in my life- And the thunder came less than a second afterwards!!

(D7, borderline D15 ish)

Any reason why the heading on literally every one of your posts is ':mad: Ugh'?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lightening and thunder again in D4, dry at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

BOOOMM!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Wow that was some bang!

(D14)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 buntyfoul

massive flash and clap there out in d4....never seen anything like it:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

HEAVY thunder in D14!!

massive flash of lighning hear too, thunder now as I type :)

dog gone nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

Just had a really massive lightning strike over Three Rock.
    Big enough to disrupt the RTE feed on the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Holy Moly.....massive thunder and lightning in Rathfarnham!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

In Rathmines, lightning strike seemed right outside my window, followed by the loudest growl of thunder I have ever heard less than a second later. Serious fright!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement