Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Had the procedure done with Dr McCormick last week. Great help in advance in this thread about what to expect, found it all very thorough and very little after effects. I took 4 neurofen in total (2 batches of 2), all on the day of the procedure. There was no pain whatsoever during the procedure, could feel a bit of pulling but that was it. Was slightly uncomfortable just knowing what was going on below but was 100% pain free.

Definitely walking a bit funnier the last few days but not sure whether that is just my mind acting up. Can feel something was done but its not pain or anything, and its fading each day as well. Early days but I am hoping to have no major after effects based on the few days since.

Now to get through 25 ejaculations before the 3 month mark..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had the chat with the wife over Christmas that we're done with kids, so have started looking into a vasectomy. Didn't realise "no snip" would be an option, sounds like a muchless painful and quicker rehab yeah? Seems a no-brainer really, is there any downside to that option (rather than the old style)?

Also, am I reading right (above) that I can make an appointment, be in and out in an hour with the whole job done?

How much time should I factor off work (office based)? Back next day job?

Anyone cycled after the procedure? Painful for a few weeks? Have about a 7k cycle each way to work each day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had the chat with the wife over Christmas that we're done with kids, so have started looking into a vasectomy. Didn't realise "no snip" would be an option, sounds like a muchless painful and quicker rehab yeah? Seems a no-brainer really, is there any downside to that option (rather than the old style)?

Also, am I reading right (above) that I can make an appointment, be in and out in an hour with the whole job done?

How much time should I factor off work (office based)? Back next day job?

Anyone cycled after the procedure? Painful for a few weeks? Have about a 7k cycle each way to work each day

I took the next day off (worked rom home) but apart from that was ok

Don't cycle though - I walked for half an hour the next day and was purple for weeks - take it easy - feet up for a day or 2 after!

and yeah in and out in less than an hour - the longest part was talking to the doc before he did anything - I was out and my wife thought I had just had a chat with him, but it was all done and dusted!

My appointment was 2pm, procedure prob started just after 2.20 and I was out by 2.45pm.

It was a Friday but I could definitely have gone back to work that day. By Monday it was like it never happened. So far so good anyway with no after effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rightman

Hi All, Question to mainly post-vas colleagues here and rather one of sensitive nature (if there are any different here). After getting the "all clear" when having fun time in bed do you go/finish inside? No fears? No doubts? Had mine done in October and waiting for results but somehow I find it hard to stop thinking (worrying is a better word). I have no intention to offend anyone, please. All the best to you All!

• Advertisement

rightman wrote: »
    Hi All, Question to mainly post-vas colleagues here and rather one of sensitive nature (if there are any different here). After getting the "all clear" when having fun time in bed do you go/finish inside? No fears? No doubts? Had mine done in October and waiting for results but somehow I find it hard to stop thinking (worrying is a better word). I have no intention to offend anyone, please. All the best to you All!
    ISn't that the whole poit in getting the snip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Shedite27 wrote: »
    ISn't that the whole poit in getting the snip?

Exactly what I was thinking! I'm not sure what the question is about?

Got a v myself on Thursday, went with the no scalpel option through Dr. McCormack that was recommended on here.

Echoing a lot of comments on here about how straightforward it was. Rang him up about 2 weeks ago, picked a date that suited me.

Was in for about 40mns, 15 mns explaining and prepping, 10-15 min procedure, all very easy. Few slight pricks at the start but other than that didn’t feel anything. Took 2 Nurofen as I left and another 2 later that night. Was feeling fine Friday.

The two days later had a little irritation down there but think that was more about the tight jockstrap and irritation from the stubble down there.

No issues, all going well 3 days later, would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Has anyone reached the two milestones recently and submitted their sample for testing? Are the labs still operating? I know they would be different to covid testing labs but would imagine that lab staff in general are in high demand and semen analysis would be secondary to everything going on at the moment.

I actually emailed Dr John about that very thing the other day, he said we should still send sample off as normal. Mine isn't due until 1st June though, so may be some changes before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I actually emailed Dr John about that very thing the other day, he said we should still send sample off as normal. Mine isn't due until 1st June though, so may be some changes before then.

How was everything for you after the procedure?

All fine, slight discomfort at best for a day or two. 2 months in now and its like it never happened, just have to send off my sample by start of June and that will be that. Couldn't be happier with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Just home after having mine done about an hour ago, i was a nervous wreck outside waiting and inside but there is actually no pain at all.
    I couldn't believe it when he said stand up all done, took about 15 min I think, chatted about normal things through it all.
    I went to john in vasectomy Ireland, highly recommend him, sound bloke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

would it be ok to ask how much they cost ??

If not ok to post on here , just pm me.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    would it be ok to ask how much they cost ??

If not ok to post on here , just pm me.

You could be talking from free with a medical card or from €400 to €500 from what I've seen when looking about, vasectomy ireland charge €450 which is where I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spider_pig wrote: »
    Just home after having mine done about an hour ago, i was a nervous wreck outside waiting and inside but there is actually no pain at all.
    I couldn't believe it when he said stand up all done, took about 15 min I think, chatted about normal things through it all.
    I went to john in vasectomy Ireland, highly recommended him, sound bloke too.

Didn't realise that he was still working during this whole thing. Good to know. I've decided the time has come to stop thinking about it and just get it done. The money I've saved in diesel alone in the last few weeks will cover it :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Didn't realise that he was still working during this whole thing. Good to know. I've decided the time has come to stop thinking about it and just get it done. The money I've saved in diesel alone in the last few weeks will cover it :)

Yes he is still working, it's a phone call for the consultation then you are in and out in no time for the procedure.
    Amazed how quick and pain free it was too, even after it, I have felt basically no pain.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Does anyone have any experience or info on myvasectomy.ie?
    Based in Dublin, Cork and Wexford.

Dr. William Lynch is the surgeon. Cost is €500.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Does anyone know whether I could get this at 22 or would I get turned down by a doctor

Does anyone know whether I could get this at 22 or would I get turned down by a doctor

You probably would but the strange thing I thought was they dont ask you for i.d to prove your age, surely people could lie and say they are what ever age and have x amount of kids and are finished having any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

It is a pretty serious decision to be making at an early stage in life. Everyone has their own story and their own decision processes, but when I was that age, having come from a broken home and seen the damage it caused, I was certain I didn't want kids. Fast forward a decade or so and being in a relationship which I felt was stable and good enough to bring kids into I now have 2 (and the snip!).
    It is a pretty permanent decision, and while possibly reversible, I believe this is only for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

greenspurs wrote: »
    I have to block him …., jesus h Christ …

???

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

Does anyone have any experience of Dr Cheema in Clane? I've been recommended him

Hi All,
    Based on your experience how long did it take to hear back after sending a post sample? Any recent results received?
    Is it a letter I should expect or how does it work?
    I had it done with Dr McCormick in Dublin (so the sample went to Rotunda Hospital).
    Cheers,
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭talla10

rightman wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Based on your experience how long did it take to hear back after sending a post sample? Any recent results received?
    Is it a letter I should expect or how does it work?
    I had it done with Dr McCormick in Dublin (so the sample went to Rotunda Hospital).
    Cheers,
    R

Got mine done a year ago. It was 16 weeks (I think) before they took my sample. It was sent to the UK. I got a text back about 3/4 weeks later saying the procedure was successful followed by a letter the week after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

rightman wrote:
    Hi All, Based on your experience how long did it take to hear back after sending a post sample? Any recent results received? Is it a letter I should expect or how does it work? I had it done with Dr McCormick in Dublin (so the sample went to Rotunda Hospital). Cheers, R

I got mine done last year with Dr McCormick. He rang me after 2 weeks with the result.

Thanks for your replies.
    I've sent mine 3 weeks ago but I'm just thinking now if due to current circumstances it has been even tested...
    I'll give it another week or two (it feels longer wait than it actually is ;D).
    Cheers

Booked myself in for Monday. Trying not to get all the - in fairness required - "warnings" get to me as the percentages are low, but if all goes well I'll be much happier afterwards :)

RockDaddy wrote: »
    You get 20% back on the MED1

Quick question on this.. I assume the refund is at the end of the tax year yea?

• Advertisement

So got it done there this morning.

Took about half an hour. No pain, bit of a rubber band flicking sensation and a slight feeling of pressure at times throughout but all told easy enough.

Took 2 nurofen and a can of coke on the way out and walked back to the office where I've left the car. Had lunch now and will drive home soon and take it easy for the rest of the week. Luckily I have a role that mostly involves emails and calls so can do this anyway.

Will keep this thread updated over the next few days but so far so good

Advertisement