Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lifetime VPN €14

Comments

Lads, a word of caution. If a VPN is important to you, you need to spend a bit of money. Ask yourself how a business can provide you a lifetime of a service that requires powerful servers running in expensive data ceners connected to a fat data pipe in multiple locations throughout the world, with technical expertise, customer service and legal expertise for a one-off payment of €14. It simply isn't remotely possible. They will close, or open a new service and mothball the old, or provide you with a service that is not what was promised, or sell your data, or more likely a combination of the above. It's simple economics - you cannot provide a longterm quality VPN service for €14. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭normanbond

Any VPN alternative suggestions/recommendations?
    SBS wrote: »
    Lads, a word of caution. If a VPN is important to you, you need to spend a bit of money. Ask yourself how a business can provide you a lifetime of a service that requires powerful servers running in expensive data ceners connected to a fat data pipe in multiple locations throughout the world, with technical expertise, customer service and legal expertise for a one-off payment of €14. It simply isn't remotely possible. They will close, or open a new service and mothball the old, or provide you with a service that is not what was promised, or sell your data, or more likely a combination of the above. It's simple economics - you cannot provide a longterm quality VPN service for €14. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

normanbond wrote: »
    Any VPN alternative suggestions/recommendations?

Mullvad or Surfshark.
    Probably Mullvad overall, but it is more expensive.
    Surfshark are on topcashback too (I only joined TCB for their previous offer), painless sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I only really got it to geo unlock content and it works a treat.
    I don't need it running 24hrs on my phone etc
    I have a gmail account and use the Google suite. I'm happy knowing Google have my data and that I'm the product

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have been using it for months now with no problems.

• Advertisement

Mine has been working well for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

If you have paid €14 and used it for few months you have already got your return. Anything after that is a bonus.

I have a lifetime KeepSolid account since April 2018, coming to 2 years, still working away. I paid $18 at that time, so definitely got my money worth.

Just to be clear, I only use it for streaming from certain services.

I have surfshark too, good VPN as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Ask yourself how a business can provide you a lifetime of a service that requires powerful servers running in expensive data ceners connected to a fat data pipe in multiple locations throughout the world, with technical expertise, customer service and legal expertise for a one-off payment of €14. [...]

Don't forget 14 quid was a special offer. Full price for the service is 60 bucks a year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

joujoujou wrote: »
    Don't forget 14 quid was a special offer. Full price for the service is 60 bucks a year. :)

Which incidentally is the price of mullvad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

coldfire1x wrote: »
    If you have paid €14 and used it for few months you have already got your return. Anything after that is a bonus.

I have a lifetime KeepSolid account since April 2018, coming to 2 years, still working away. I paid $18 at that time, so definitely got my money worth.

Just to be clear, I only use it for streaming from certain services.

I have surfshark too, good VPN as well.
    Same here, got the deal at the time. Only use it for sane purposes. It had problems in first few months but like a good wine, it's gotten better with age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I’ve signed up to SurfShark. I’ve only been using it for six weeks or so but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I’ve signed up to SurfShark. I’ve only been using it for six weeks or so but so far so good.

I went with Surfshark too, seems good value at €44 for 2 years. It was working perfectly initially, but not anymore.

@el_gaucho, would you mind if I PMed you for a bit of advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

rurs wrote: »
    I went with Surfshark too, seems good value at €44 for 2 years. It was working perfectly initially, but not anymore.

@el_gaucho, would you mind if I PMed you for a bit of advice?

Go ahead. I haven’t been using it long myself though.

joujoujou wrote: »

Lifetime is currently €35

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I have been using VPN unlimited since May 2018 under this offer, or a previous incarnation of it, and the service has been rock solid anytime I've gone to use it....that's not to say it's day will soon come however!

I had my first ever interaction with their CS service last week (upgraded to Fibre with Siro and it did not play nicely with the VPN Unlimited frontend on my Android TV) they responded within hours and they got back to me several times to check on my progress etc. which totally exceeded my expectations for a budget service tbh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

have this for over a year on 4 androids works fine with bbc player itv etc

cant figure out how to change Netflix locations keeps going a miss though

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

KeepSolid has never worked with BBC iPlayer for me.....fairly useless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Works perfectly for iplayer for me, strange

garrkell wrote: »

Works fine for me & a friend I recommended it to.

Are you sure that your account is registered in the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

maximoose wrote: »
    Works perfectly for iplayer for me, strange

Me too as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

It has always worked for me too until recently.

I had to switch the protocol the app was using....?

go to the menu
    Settings
    Protocols
    I tried each, and only WireGuard beta would work correctly

.....it also works for all other connections, so you only had to change it the once. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Discodog wrote: »
    Works fine for me & a friend I recommended it to.

Are you sure that your account is registered in the UK ?

I haven’t a notion, can’t remember. Maybe that’s where I went wrong. Should it matter if I’m selecting a British location on the vpn...? I’m usually good at these things...

I haven’t a notion, can’t remember. Maybe that’s where I went wrong. Should it matter if I’m selecting a British location on the vpn...? I’m usually good at these things...

You need to set up a BBC account using the vpn & with a UK postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

iPlayer was hit and miss for me. Wasn’t working 1 month ago. Now it is. An update to the VPN possibly helped so make sure to do that.

As of now, both iPlayer and US Netflix work!

What a great bargain this was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has had much success in choosing a server for torrent use. I need to download a few torrents weekly (Linux Distros :pac: ;) ) and I have had very hit & miss with successfully being able to use the VPN. I had for a while very good results using one of the French ones that was marked for torrents, but lately I get 0 speed until I switch off the VPN.

No, you must use the streaming iplayer option rather than a UK location.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys

I am looking for a cheap reliable VPN that will play BBC iPlayer, anybody got any recommendations ?

Thanks for your help

This vpn. See post 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has had much success in choosing a server for torrent use. I need to download a few torrents weekly (Linux Distros :pac: ;) ) and I have had very hit & miss with successfully being able to use the VPN. I had for a while very good results using one of the French ones that was marked for torrents, but lately I get 0 speed until I switch off the VPN.

Why do you want a VPN for perfectly legal downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

TheDriver wrote: »
    This vpn. See post 1.

It's not reliable if I look at other posts under this Thread

Thus has anybody got any other VPN suggestions that are cheap and reliable, it would be much appreciated

Advertisement