Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Expired Licence

• 29-01-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum.

I was stopped while driving 10 days ago and given ten days to produce my licence, i only got in the weekend and it should be here in a week or so i hope.

When i arrived in it turns out my licence has been out since last August.

As the 10 days are up i contacted the garda station who basically told me they cant do anything but bring in the licence once i get it.

What are the consequences here, points, insurance increase, fine etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's at the lower end of the scale, probably no points and the insurance companies don't care, as long as you were never disqualified.

Don't listen to anyone who says you were driving uninsured since last August, an expired licence does not invalidate your insurance.

Produce the licence as soon as you get it, the Garda who stopped you will be able to see that you produced and may let you off if everything else was in order. There is no point is discussing it with the Garda at the station, just show the licence and let them record it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

carbuyer01 wrote: »
    I was stopped while driving 10 days ago and given ten days to produce my licence, i only got in the weekend and it should be here in a week or so i hope.
    what should be here in a week or so? not sure what the sequence of events is.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭carbuyer01

Perfect
    Thanks for that
    Once it doesn't affect my insurance i dont mind.
    Thanks

what should be here in a week or so? not sure what the sequence of events is.

My licence.
    Well i hope so

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Your licence was out in August and you've requested a new one, which should arrive this weekend? Trying to figure out what your post means.

• Advertisement

hey sorry there, i didnt explain myself clearly

My licence is out since last august which i was unaware of. I went in last Saturday to arrange my new one and i should have it in the next day or so.

I was asked to bring in my licence by yesterday to the guards but as of yet i don't have it.

So my worry is, a conviction, summons etc, and therefore my insurance will be affected

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You may well get a summons but I wouldn't worry to much.

I know s person very well that there provisional was out of date nearly 6 years and they were fined €150 but never received the fine so never had to pay.

The judge actually laughed as he couldn't believe the time it was out but they were insured, tax and NCT was on car.

Just get it in as soon as you get it back.

Good man,

thanks for the advice, i just had an uninsured driver hit me 5 years ago and only now my insurance is manageable.

Good man,

thanks for the advice, i just had an uninsured driver hit me 5 years ago and only now my insurance is manageable.

That shouldn't have affected you though, did you go through uninsured driver's fund or your own?

i went through my own who advised me that "the fund" would then deal with them but to be honest they were a joke to deal with and in the end nothing happened apart from me being shafted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

i went through my own who advised me that "the fund" would then deal with them but to be honest they were a joke to deal with and in the end nothing happened apart from me being shafted

This is why those who knowingly drive without insurance don't give a fcuk!

They know that either your insurance or the M.I.B.I will pick up the tab and it is unlikely they will ever be able to recover it from them regardless of any legal proceedings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I know s person very well that there provisional was out of date nearly 6 years

I see your six years and raise you 30.....

https://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/36-years--27715980.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Duffryman wrote: »

Can’t do 36 but I can do 17.

Mad isn't it.

I have a licence, driving since 2001 and having a terrible time trying to get insurance as I had a trade policy in my name and private use also.

No insurance company will accept my clear driving record and full no claims and I'm getting quotes up to €3,000.

Absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

You think that's bad, try driving with an older car. Full Irish license, 9 years without a claim, no accidents, convictions or penalty points. Ever. Cannot get a quote from most companies, the insurance I have is nearly 1400. Can't even get a quote from XSdirect ...

In answer to the OPs question, you probably don't need to worry about your insurance. My policy and likely others carries a condition worded something like "The Insured, where the Insured has a full driving license, or where the Insured having held such a license, is not disqualified by law from driving." So you should be explicitly covered for driving on an expired full driving license. Still you need to get that license renewed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Chap I knew in his 60’s stopped for drink driving.
    Turned out he never ever had a license and any time stopped showed his brothers.

Imagine, he lived through a time when all you had to do was apply for a licence and you got a full one on tie post - yet he didn’t bother.

Advertisement