Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann Wtf

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What route was this was it an Expressway service or just a regular BE service? Reason I ask is if it was a regular BE service it would be PSO and if so you should also complain to the NTA aswell as BE.

It was Expressway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If you just check out national express fares you will see that or like many other European national transport providers flixbus, megabus, eurolines, IDBUS, Berlin linien bus, Mein Fernbus, Simple Express, PolskiBus, Onnibus, Westbus, Alsa our standard and price of transport is laughable to any

Well those are all private companies who could set up if they thought it was profitable here and the NTA gave them a licence.

On the bus this morning and again it’s a private coach doing the run on a main route, I noticed they’ve also reduced a lot of their main routes rates by half, something doesn’t seem right.. have Bus Éireann taken the week off or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I have complained, I’m sure they receive complaints daily, would love to see the role taking over my by a company like city link or an international transport company that knew how to operate

if the route is a PSO route they would be operating the buses given to them just like be is currently doing. if they are short of coaches on the route and don't have any of their own available to bring in because quite frankly they will keep those for their profit making routes, then they would end up with having the same issue as be by where an operator contracted in to run services on their behalf won't have anything available, generally at short notice, but an old bus.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I’m actually in disbelief how this is our national bus service, l was on the airport bus today paid for express Bus Éireann nearly 30 euro , and what showed up was like a bus from the 60s not Bus Éireann, some random driver not even working for Bus Éireann, the bus stank of smoke, mold and damp, like it hadn’t been used in years, I had to tell the driver to let me off the bus as I was going to vomit, and had to pay an additional 30 euro for the train, how is this are national bus service

Would it make you feel better to know that senior BE manager ALLEGEDLY (of course) may have, in theory, (but not really) gotten a nice holiday or other defacto bribe to award this company the contract for that service?
    Hope that makes you feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Would it make you feel better to know that senior BE manager ALLEGEDLY (of course) may have, in theory, (but not really) gotten a nice holiday or other defacto bribe to award this company the contract for that service?

Hey! Those things don't happen in this country! :p:p:p

XPS_Zero wrote: »

Holiday season is coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

How about a situation, where their main bus broke down?
    "We can use the old bus just to get people home"
    "No! People will complain. Let them sit and wait till the main bus is fixed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

In my opinion it's all to do with our 'National Debt'
    That still hasn't gone away people!
    Nurses, transport, workers pay, social housing have all been hit and
    will continue to do so! We're going backwards!

I don't really buy that. Even during the height of the money no object Celtic Tiger years CIE was quite capable of providing shockingly inconsistent and poor services. They're not known as Cycling Is Easier for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

EdgeCase wrote:
    I don't really buy that. Even during the height of the money no object Celtic Tiger years CIE was quite capable of providing shockingly inconsistent and poor services. They're not known as Cycling Is Easier for nothing!

It's well known that funding and support for public services has been in decline for decades now, in favour of privatisation, a large proportion of the population would even prefer privatisation of public services

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's well known that funding and support for public services has been in decline for decades now, in favour of privatisation, a large proportion of the population would even prefer privatisation of public services

But will they be prepared to pay for the privatisation?

But will they be prepared to pay for the privatisation?

And does it actually work at improving things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

And does it actually work at improving things?

It certainly improves service, as somebody is actually held accountable for poor service. BE don't care because the NTA don't care, they'll continue to receive funding either way whether the service is crap or not.

I don't think privatisation is the way to go. But it does provide some form of accountability.

It certainly improves service, as somebody is actually held accountable for poor service. BE don't care because the NTA don't care, they'll continue to receive funding either way whether the service is crap or not.

I don't think privatisation is the way to go. But it does provide some form of accountability.

i will partly agree with this, services can and have been improved since the inclusion of the private sector in running our transport systems, but it hasnt been all that positive either, it can be argued that since its inclusion, worker insecurity to has increased, i also think the private sector should be a part of our transport systems going forward, but we must somehow address some of its negatives.

I don't see much evidence of the quality getting worse. I remember the state of the bus service in Cork in the 1990s and it was absolutely awful. The city / outer suburban busses used to be cast offs from Dublin Bus, often with all of the green branding inside and a Bus Eireann paint job. A lot of them could barely make it up hills, puffed smoke and were in very poor condition generally.

I also remember Bus Éireann running busses to Cork's satellite towns like Carriagline from Parnell Place bus station and having no indication of which bus went where - they didn't have the correct rollers with Cork destinations (possibly still old Dublin Bus rollers) or they didn't bother using them. I didn't even realise that there was a bus number for any of those routes.

It was like something you'd expect to see in pre-EU Eastern Europe.

The state of some of the trains before the last major fleet upgrade was also very patchy. There were modern 1980s intericites, but you could equally pay for a normal ticket and end up on some 1960s/70s bone shaker or even a commuter DMU on Cork-Dublin if you were unlucky. At least nowadays you can be sure of a modern intercity train with fairly reasonable facilities.

I remember when I was maybe 12/13 going on late night trains from Dublin to Cork that were some kind of old BR intercity design and it often had no heat on a winter's night. You'd be sitting there in a coat with steam coming off your breath, desperately trying warm yourself on a cup of tea!

There was no golden age of CIE or Irish public transport. It was always bad. Or, at the very least it was always very patchy and unpredictable. You could get modernity on one bus / train and then something out of a scrap yard on the next one.

There’s only so much funding and support can do when it comes to a company this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I don't see much evidence of the quality getting worse. I remember the state of the bus service in Cork in the 1990s and it was absolutely awful. The city / outer suburban busses used to be cast offs from Dublin Bus, often with all of the green branding inside and a Bus Eireann paint job. A lot of them could barely make it up hills, puffed smoke and were in very poor condition generally.

I think you're thinking of Cork vehicles themselves when they were painted from green into BE livery. The Bombardiers and GACs down there wore green just like the Dublin ones until BE was formed. Very few DB/DCS vehicles moved to Cork. I do remember though a lot of ex-Cork buses coming to Dublin live out the rest of their days and they were absolutely clapped out.

How about a situation, where their main bus broke down?
    "We can use the old bus just to get people home"
    "No! People will complain. Let them sit and wait till the main bus is fixed"

Or in be case let them sit and wait.. then sent a piece of ****

john boye wrote: »
    I think you're thinking of Cork vehicles themselves when they were painted from green into BE livery. The Bombardiers and GACs down there wore green just like the Dublin ones until BE was formed. Very few DB/DCS vehicles moved to Cork. I do remember though a lot of ex-Cork buses coming to Dublin live out the rest of their days and they were absolutely clapped out.

Nope, they were fully branded as Dublin Bus inside, complete with logos in various parts of the interior. They were absolutely definitely ex-Dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Nope, they were fully branded as Dublin Bus inside, complete with logos in various parts of the interior. They were absolutely definitely ex-Dublin bus.

Actually I was thinking more in the past but just remembered that the VAs went to Cork in the mid 2000s. They most certainly weren't in green though.

• Advertisement

john boye wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking more in the past but just remembered that the VAs went to Cork in the mid 2000s. They most certainly weren't in green though.

There were Dublin Bus logos inside anyway that's all I know.

I have no idea what model they were other than they were old and clapped out.

It may have been the blue/green whatever colour seats they had but I distinctly remember being rather annoyed that it was a clapped out Dublin Bus.

I also remember the way they didn't have digital ticket machines so you got a perfectly square bit of paper, often with nothing printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭PreCocious

Aircoach pull that stunt as well. Running a second non-branded bus and putting the booked fares on that.

The last time I travelled with them from Dublin Airport it was an older, toilet-less bus that stank of stale cooking oil.

I emailed them to complain and, unsurprisingly, I didn't receive a reply.

On the airport bus again, this time it’s an express bus, the ticket machine is down so the drivers not charging anyone for the journey, then people blame the poor service on funding and support, dear god what a shambles be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

On the airport bus again, this time it’s an express bus, the ticket machine is down so the drivers not charging anyone for the journey, then people blame the poor service on funding and support, dear god what a shambles be

Ticket machine often broken on other city buses too. As good as a 'free' bus journey is, you have to wonder how much they're losing in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be used a lot of ex daf single deckers from db years back remember them in broadstone after they were returned from country work.

Double deckers were also used.

Advertisement