Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle train

• 25-01-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43 Mooretaxi

Great to see the kids cycling to school but how can the adults get away with the blatant disregard for the traffic? Cycling in the middle of the road and stopping the bike on the roundabout blocking the traffic that would have had the right of way on the roundabout etc.
    I’m all for kids being able to cycle but at the very least the people organizing this publicity event should have led by example, it’s quite possible that the next time one of those kids come to a roundabout that they think they automatically have the right of way
    https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/0125/1025475-schools-galway-cycling/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Cycle trains would not be necessary if there was proper cycling infrastructure like in more advanced societies as in continental Europe (Netherlands, Denmark, France, Germany, etc.). I would not leave a kid on a bike alone in Ireland - kids going to school on their own is very common in other countries.

• Cycle bus, not cycle train

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,989 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mooretaxi wrote: »
    stopping the bike on the roundabout blocking the traffic that would have had the right of way on the roundabout
    explain this one to me. if they're already on the roundabout, who has right of way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

explain this one to me. if they're already on the roundabout, who has right of way?

I've seen motor cyclists do the very same but who really gives a ****?

Do what you want on the motorway or roads without fear of enforcement of the rules and there will be even more deaths and more people scratching their heads asking why and looking for reasons and for someone to blame and penalise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 London Correspondent

Cycle bus, not cycle train

Why not both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mooretaxi wrote: »
    ... disregard for the traffic?..... .....blocking the traffic......
    Cyclists are 'traffic' too and a bicycle is defined as a 'vehicle' in road traffic legislation.

Why differentiate them? Do you see cyclists as some sort of second class road users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Cyclists are 'traffic' too and a bicycle is defined as a 'vehicle' in road traffic legislation.

Why differentiate them? Do you see cyclists as some sort of second class road users?

I think it's more the fact that they're spread across both road and cycle lane, moving as fast as the slowest child, while there's a tailback of traffic that can't pass.

• Why not both?

Good question Glasgow Painter, as you can see, one is the correct name, one is not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...while there's a tailback of other traffic that can't pass.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think it's more the fact that they're spread across both road and cycle lane, moving as fast as the slowest child, while there's a tailback of traffic that can't pass.

tough beans - if they were all in cars you'd be moving even slower. Take a different route if it's really annoying you - I think its a great idea, hopefully it's popularity will encourage the council to improve the cycling infrastructure and then everyone wins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,989 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lest we forget, the RSA are explicit in their 'advice' that children under 12 should never cycle in traffic.
    so according to the people whose job it is to promote ways of getting these kids to school safely, they should either be made walk the 3km to school, or be driven there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Why not both?

Probably why we don’t tend to speak of cyclepaths. Or indeed to them. :pac:

loyatemu wrote: »
    tough beans - if they were all in cars you'd be moving even slower. Take a different route if it's really annoying you - I think its a great idea, hopefully it's popularity will encourage the council to improve the cycling infrastructure and then everyone wins.

Eh no. Slow vehicles frequently pull in to allow cars to pass.

You need to be considerate of other road users.
    A tractor driver was banned for causing a tailback in Mayo.

I totally agree that cyclists should have segregated paths, but until then we all have to share the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best way to do this is to leave earlier if people are late and it's a good thing even if you think you are been held up.....

You aren't been held up as much as for in most cases each one of those kids would need 1 car each to get them to the school...

It's a win win to be honest as it's exercise, it will help the kids concentrate better and it will actually reduce traffic and emissions....

A tractor driver was banned for causing a tailback in Mayo.
    that was a funny one. the garda giving evidence gave evidence with such an obvious hole in its logic that anyone present in court should hang their head in shame for not spotting it for the bull**** it was.
    IIRC, he claimed the tailback was 7km long, and about 100 cars long.
    he seemed to think that if he himself drove 7km in the process of overtaking 100 cars, it meant the tailback was itself 7km long. and his evidence to this effect was accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I think this cycle bus is a great idea in principle, but I also think the OP has a valid point here in terms of how it operates.

Not only do cyclists (children) fill the cycle lane, but other cyclists (adults) take up the 'regular' traffic lane in such a way as to hold up all the other traffic too, so that - as somebody says again - nobody in a motorised vehicle can drive any faster than the slowest child on a bike.

I don't know what the solution might be - maybe a derogation from the usual law, to allow children up to the age of 12 to cycle on the footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The kids should be walking to school: no need for vehicles to with any number of wheels to be used.

Just wait until some kid does a bunk from the cycle train - never makes it to school/home, gets into trouble

that was a funny one.

Still, there's precedent for road users to get punished for holding up traffic.

If you've drivers slowed to 10km/h for 3km, you might get one hell of a tailback.

The lads running the cycle train need to be aware of that.

what's the average speed of traffic at that time in galway anyway?

The kids should be walking to school: no need for vehicles to with any number of wheels to be used.

Just wait until some kid does a bunk from the cycle train - never makes it to school/home, gets into trouble
    so a kid cycling 3km (in a cycle train with adult supervision) is more likely to do a bunk than a kid walking 3km to school?

• Advertisement

what's the average speed of traffic at that time in galway anyway?

Given there was "one hundred" cars behind a tractor, I would say it's faster than a tractor.

Given there was "one hundred" cars behind a tractor, I would say it's faster than a tractor.
    sorry, i meant rush hour in galway city, in the context of the kids getting to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In Galway congestion, traffic moves at the speed of the slowest vehicle, which is often stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"Cycle buses are great but they shouldn't be on the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You need to be considerate of other road users.

So have respect and patience for the kids on the bikes ffs. All that's going to happen to you when you get by is that you're going to be stopped at the back of the next queue of traffic for that bit longer, especially in that hell hole for traffic that is Galway.

• Just an fyi for some, the use of cycle lanes is not mandatory

Hurrache wrote: »
    So have respect and patience for the kids on the bikes ffs. All that's going to happen to you when you get by is that you're going to be stopped at the back of the next queue of traffic for that bit longer, especially in that hell hole for traffic that is Galway.
    Yes, but they also need to have respect.

It goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it gets cars off the road it's a great idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Just an fyi for some, the use of cycle lanes is not mandatory

I for one know it's not mandatory.

But leaving at least 1.5 metres of space when passing a cyclist is not mandatory either, even though most people do, just as cyclists ask us to do.

Or if you're driving towards a junction where you intend to turn left or right, it's not actually mandatory to use your indicator, again even though the vast majority of people do it.

Or if you're driving a slow vehicle like a tractor, it's not mandatory to pull in when you get a chance to let other vehicles go past, even though many tractor drivers regularly do that.

None of those things are mandatory. But doing them shows a little courtesy for other road users and eases their journey a bit in a way that doesn't hugely materially affect your own.

Using a cycle lane falls into that same category.

• Advertisement

Duffryman wrote: »
    Or if you're driving towards a junction where you intend to turn left or right, it's not actually mandatory to use your indicator
    uh, yes it is.
    The law requires you to signal properly before moving off, turning right or left, changing lanes, overtaking, slowing down or stopping. You must signal clearly and in good time.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf
    page 106

Advertisement