Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP.ie - UK website

• 14-01-2019 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

do you know whether there is an equivalent UK website to rip.ie?

Thanks,

M.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Not really.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Death is a lot different in England at least- much more of an immediate family thing. Not like here where it’s a whole wider community ritual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I posted here about this site a few years ago and someone mentioned iannounce.co.uk for the UK but its probably not as good as rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

Okay, that's a pity. It was worth a shot anyway.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

It is less common to put a newspaper notice about person's death. Funerals are more private affairs and attendance is by invitation. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Garlinge wrote: »
    It is less common to put a newspaper notice about person's death. Funerals are more private affairs and attendance is by invitation. :(

I did know that they don't announce in the newspaper in the UK but never heard the funeral attendance is by invitation. Wasn't the case a few years back when I travelled to the UK for a funeral. I expect the funeral of a famous person may involve invitations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Even in Ireland, some deaths were announced in the newspapers,but marked funeral private.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Some may be private but not all. My mum went to her aunt's funeral in England recently and parishioners went to the funeral. Anyone who wanted to go was welcome. Things are done quite differently overall in England though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think religion plays a role here. Catholics in England of Irish background are more likely to have a funeral similar to Irish customs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement