Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It gets fairly prominent when there's less traffic on the road, particularly in Dublin City Centre. Motorists in a rush can gather more speed as they're going through junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Happened me this morning when crossing road. Was that close to being mown down by a car that totally ignored the red light. She was on a bus lane too and going well above speed limit. Tool reg but guards said my word against hers. Some people shouldn't be allowed behind wheel of car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Weepsie wrote: »
    How do you mean? Amber is the one you stop on unless it's unsafe to do so. It doesn't matter a jot how the long the sequence is, as soon as that's amber that means you should be ready to stop unless you really can't.

People keep going however, and treat it like " ah you've a few seconds til you have to stop" and 4-5 cars squeeze on through. In reality, only that first car should ever be in a position that it has to proceed through an amber light because it is close to the stop line.

You stop on amber. Simple as. It's written in very plain english in the Road Traffic Act.

I got rear ended by a truck a few years back. As I was still ages away from the lights, they turned amber, so I slowed and stopped at the light (they were red by the time I actually got to them). About 3 or 4 seconds later a truck thumped into me. The truck driver said he didn't think I'd stop. Given how far he was behind me either he completely wasn't paying attention, or saw the amber light from even further back and put his foot down at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

We are not a serious country.

I notice a massive reduction in people using indicators over the last 20 years too. Nobody enforcing the laws of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I don't understand stuff like this. It's so easy to fix and it'd be a money maker too which pays for the fix. And if it make more money than it costs to run put the money into the Gardai.

Pop a camera on the light and take a photo of every car going through on red. Penalty points and a fine in the post. The red light runners wouldn't be long improving their observance of the red lights.

AND the guy in the OPs post had 32 previous convictions (one for drink driving and another ban from 2012). I don't know how many other were for driving offences. We need to get to a stage where if you have X amount of convictions we start getting serious about making sure that these people don't cause more death or injury to people who actually bother following the laws. In this case a 6 year old is dead. That shouldn't be acceptable to anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yup, a combination of things, red light cameras could work, also traffic wardens (with go pros and body cams) who can "police" junctions, bus lanes, dodgy/dangerous parking... Even carrying mobile phones while driving...
    And reduce traffic light times when everyone's on red (bring in amber after red,or red and and amber) so traffic is ready to move immediately on green.. Obviously you'd have to start dealing with red light jumpers first..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

From my recollection of reading it, Right of Way in the junction after a red, makes no distinction as to why you ended up in that junction, with a red light from where you came. Just that you are there and need to clear the junction, without others impeeding you, even if they have a green light. That'll need to be addressed before putting up Red Light Cameras. I'm not condoning it, just indicating what this thread is pushing, isn't simply a matter of sticking a few cameras up.

If the amber comes up, and I don't have the distance to stop in a manner that isn't abrupt, I'll go through it. Unless I see something else around the junction that requires me to stop abruptly.

I ain't one for speeding either. I'm genuinely not the kind to be in a rush to get anywhere. But the Ambers aren't usually set to the distance required to stop safely, for the speed limit on the road. They are just to tell you that the red light is coming up in the sequence.

You should be prepared and able to stop especially at junctions, there can be pedestrian crossings, or people with limited ability or experience to understand the speed of vehicles (ie children) you dont have a right of way to proceed, just to proceed with caution, so you cant plough on through just because you need/want to complete your maneuver. Saying amber is a sign that a red is coming up, well yes, but even if there is a green light you should be prepared and able to stop.
    I don't understand stuff like this. It's so easy to fix and it'd be a money maker too which pays for the fix. And if it make more money than it costs to run put the money into the Gardai.

Pop a camera on the light and take a photo of every car going through on red. Penalty points and a fine in the post. The red light runners wouldn't be long improving their observance of the red lights.

AND the guy in the OPs post had 32 previous convictions (one for drink driving and another ban from 2012). I don't know how many other were for driving offences. We need to get to a stage where if you have X amount of convictions we start getting serious about making sure that these people don't cause more death or injury to people who actually bother following the laws. In this case a 6 year old is dead. That shouldn't be acceptable to anybody.

I do not know how they can even speak of forgiveness,

It has reached the point where you would need cameras at every junction, I cant see a public body running it efficiently, a private company should be allowed and would be needed to run it, 50% of any penalties should be paid to the state and be ringfenced for dealing with traffic problems and enforcement. The Gardai dont care, Im not really sure what they care about or do, I dont get the impression if their numbers were increased or if they were better funded that they would do any better or be bothered. The Uk has automated systems to deal with this and Gardai should not be wasting time and resources when penalties could be managed automatically with some limited administration.
    Timing of lights and introducing an amber before green, while not directly linked to the problems mentioned at least might help improve use of time available at the lights. There are a pair of light sets in close proximity to each other, near me and there is no logic in the timing between them, one set comes on and immediately you get through them and the next set is going red, but the timing is unusual as it seems to vary slightly, sometimes you will get a red well in advance, other times it stays green for longer, whats apparent is that traffic coming from a crossing lane always jumps and persists for a number of cars when you can see their light is red, while I think poor design of the timing can lead to problems, people shouldnt be breaking them, but there doesnt seem any obvious means to try and deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Junction of North King Street & Queen Street Dublin 7 is another black-spot. The pedestrian X is actually several meters beyond the lights and cars approaching can see the lights changing from distance yet the amount of cars ignoring the red light and breaking the pedestrian X is scary.

I almost got clipped as I stepped out with the green man in my favor as a guy broke the lights. I gave his car a slap with my hand and he hits the anchors, jumps out screaming don't touch my car. I was ready for it to turn physical as I am standing in the middle of the road saying don't break the lights, I won't touch your car. I think he realized he was in the wrong or either he thought I ain't got the beating of this guy but he jumps back in his car screaming abuse at me.

But yes, without doubt the amount of red light jumpers and people who sit in yellow boxes has definitely gone through the roof. As others have said, it's because there is no enforcement or consequence of people's actions. If people where getting prosecuted you would see a change in behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Its an endemic in Dublin and is getting worse as there is zero enforcement or consquesde for breaking a red light.
    Yesterday I was stopped at the lights at the old Griffith avenue Garda station & counted 5 cars that broke the red light.
    Further up the road at the Collins avenue beside Whitehall Church, I counted
    8 cars that broke the red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

I was the front car at a roadworks "Stop-Go" yesterday when a driver became inpatient and came up on the inside, driving along the footpath. The guy holding the stop sign had to look twice as he could not believe what he was seeing.

Having navigated around the road works the driver then gunned it down the road because the permanent traffic lights were by this stage amber, before going through the junction well after they became red.

Drivers/cyclists/pedestrians breaking red lights is now nearly the norm, but what are the odds of them getting caught and even if they do get caught, what will happen?

Many drivers have dash cams now (some stills from yesterday now attached), so maybe the way forward is for the Gardai to set up a portal where you could upload offenders and they would deal with it? The increased risk of getting caught might then make some of these plonkers think twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I've been thinking about that little boy since it happened over a year ago. It was right outside my parent's estate, the house I lived in for several years. I still cross at those lights regularly with my own children. The teddies and stuffed toys are still pinned to the wall beside it in tribute to Cian.

That boy did everything right but a man who wasn't bothered stopping for the light killed him.

It made me think a lot about crossings in this country. I genuinely think that pedestrian crossings with lights are flawed as they encourage the driver to focus on the light rather than on the pedestrians themselves. In other countries they use zebra crossings a lot more and it moves the drivers attention to the pedestrians rather than some pole with a light on it. I think having the emphasis on drivers to pay attention to and cede to actual people would be better. It's easy to break a light - it's just a light. But if you see an actual person there it's harder, I think, to ignore them. Also, a zebra crossing puts an emphasis on the pedestrian to only cross when the cars are actually stopped as opposed to obeying a light which is ultimately meaningless, as was so horribly demonstrated in this case.

That poor family though. It's just too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't be able to forgive him, there are no words, I suppose there must be some sort of relief in not holding that anger in but I simply could not do it. My young lad is the same age, he is now used to waiting after the man goes green at our pedestrian crossing near the house. At least once in his two trips across every day a car will roll forward on red, continue on through or push off before the green is there.

When you let a roar, they look confused, what is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

cameras are the solution.
    when someone gets a notice of fine/points in the door and the reason why maybe then the message will get through.

the disregard for the pedestrian crossing near our local supervalu, a crossing used by adults and kids all day, is frightening.
    i used to think it was just young lads driving through the red but ive seen men old enough to know better and women, some with kids on board, sail through.

then you have the one who sails through the red and on the phone. ain't life grand *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Yeah I would agree it has definitely become worse.

I think the problem is one some people start doing it, then it becomes acceptable and then endemic.

It's also true that if follow the rules and stop on amber, some moron will beep at you and get aggressive.

Dublin in particular has some very badly designed traffic light junctions. Things like fly lights that are setup very weirdly and trap people on junctions due to poor sequencing and lots of frustratingly short sequences. No light should be going green for just 1 or 2 cars max. That causes drivers to do crazy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

breakemall wrote: »
    I was the front car at a roadworks "Stop-Go" yesterday when a driver became inpatient and came up on the inside, driving along the footpath. The guy holding the stop sign had to look twice as he could not believe what he was seeing.

Having navigated around the road works the driver then gunned it down the road because the permanent traffic lights were by this stage amber, before going through the junction well after they became red.

Drivers/cyclists/pedestrians breaking red lights is now nearly the norm, but what are the odds of them getting caught and even if they do get caught, what will happen?

Many drivers have dash cams now (some stills from yesterday now attached), so maybe the way forward is for the Gardai to set up a portal where you could upload offenders and they would deal with it? The increased risk of getting caught might then make some of these plonkers think twice?

Did you report that?
    I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Drivers do not care. The yellow box at the junction of templeogue road and terenure road is basically just for sitting in.
    The extent the other day was a lad sitting in it and texting away without a care for the rest of us having to try and swing around him. I blared the horn and pointed at the ground and gave him the "wànker" salute but he didn't give a shiny shìt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

mfceiling wrote: »
    Drivers do not care. The yellow box at the junction of templeogue road and terenure road is basically just for sitting in.
    The extent the other day was a lad sitting in it and texting away without a care for the rest of us having to try and swing around him. I blared the horn and pointed at the ground and gave him the "wànker" salute but he didn't give a shiny shìt.

Probably texting about how **** the traffic was.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One thing I would like if enforcement is to be more strict is to have some sort of "turn left on red" rule like they do in other countries ("turn right on red" usually being the rule there as they drive on the right). For most junctions in Dublin, there seems to be a ridiculous amount of time where traffic is stopped at a junction but nothing is moving through in the other direction. Allowing people to turn left on red while yielding to pedestrians would allow much more flow and mean less sitting around feeling like you're stopped for no reason. I'm sure there'll be the usual "oh that wouldn't work with Irish drivers" objections but I've seen it work well in cities with far more aggressive drivers.

amcalester wrote: »
    Probably texting about how **** the traffic was.

'Sorry, i didn't see you there, i was posting on boards about cyclists going through red lights. The bastards.'

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

I have lived in Dublin for about 12 years and the amount of red light running has increased hugely. It is not just the frequency but the severity as well; whereas a few years ago one car may run the light now two, three or more will go through often blocking traffic already moving off on green.

In the last year I have twice been halfway across a pedestrian crossing (Ballyboden Road) with my five year old child, green mad active, red light against traffic, when a car has gone straight through (one driver smiling at her phone).

This is nothing to do with not having time to stop. It is simply dangerous, selfish driving.

I lived in a town (UK) without the camera enforcement that had a problem with major junctions grid locking due to light running. The city introduced enforcement cameras, with a £100 fine when caught, on all critical junctions and the issues ceased within a couple of weeks. It works.

I saw the question raised of whether a driver should be penalised because they could not stop safely and therefore have to run the lights. Simple answer is approach traffic lights with caution; the one thing you can guarantee with lights is that they will change so be prepared to stop…not prepared to beat the red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FionnB

mfceiling wrote: »

Twice recently I have been crossing there with children when cars have not only broken the red light but actually saw us crossing and still kept driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stark wrote: »
    Allowing people to turn left on red while yielding to pedestrians would allow much more flow and mean less sitting around feeling like you're stopped for no reason. I'm sure there'll be the usual "oh that wouldn't work with Irish drivers" objections but I've seen it work well in cities with far more aggressive drivers.
    It wouldn't work - Irish drivers don't yeild for pedestrians when the pedestrian has the right of way at non-traffic light junctions. They're suddenly going to start at traffic light junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Stark wrote: »
    One thing I would like if enforcement is to be more strict is to have some sort of "turn left on red" rule like they do in other countries ("turn right on red" usually being the rule there as they drive on the right). For most junctions in Dublin, there seems to be a ridiculous amount of time where traffic is stopped at a junction but nothing is moving through in the other direction. Allowing people to turn left on red while yielding to pedestrians would allow much more flow and mean less sitting around feeling like you're stopped for no reason. I'm sure there'll be the usual "oh that wouldn't work with Irish drivers" objections but I've seen it work well in cities with far more aggressive drivers.
    it would be too confusing for people to understand, plus there are lots of pedestrian lights included at junctions here especially in busy junctions, maybe not so much in the US. Things would work if people obeyed the existing lights, it's probably busier now, so more traffic and the same roads, rushing from one queue to the next doesn't save time, although I think if we had amber before green it would help make use of the green light time available, still need cameras to enforce red lights and penalise those that won't comply, no doubt we will all pay for it, but it's one thing I think is necessary and worth it, too many willing to take a chance and not consider the consequences to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Not 30 mins ago I watched someone break the light at the same junction OP mentioned. I get back to work, open up boards and the 2nd thread on the Latest list is this one!

Anyone who crosses a pedestrian green man should get an automatic 3 or 4 points on their licence. It is so so dangerous and so so stupid.

I'm sure there is plenty technology out there to help with the enforcement of this. Road users would be very quick to curtail their bad behaviour if they got caught with a fine and penalty points. They could have a system very similar to the speed vans. Automate the whole lot.

It's nice to see the Gardai out in Dublin this time of year with their magic wands catching road users going through red lights and in bus lanes but this is also infuriating as it highlights the absolute lack of enforcement any other time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Oconnoll bridge is a great example of this. Every morning going south you have at least 3 fools blocking the junction as they break the red going east

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here is a good example. Nearly took a motorbike out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

I have lived in Dublin for about 12 years and the amount of red light running has increased hugely. It is not just the frequency but the severity as well; whereas a few years ago one car may run the light now two, three or more will go through often blocking traffic already moving off on green.

In the last year I have twice been halfway across a pedestrian crossing (Ballyboden Road) with my five year old child, green mad active, red light against traffic, when a car has gone straight through (one driver smiling at her phone).

This is nothing to do with not having time to stop. It is simply dangerous, selfish driving.

I lived in a town (UK) without the camera enforcement that had a problem with major junctions grid locking due to light running. The city introduced enforcement cameras, with a £100 fine when caught, on all critical junctions and the issues ceased within a couple of weeks. It works.

I saw the question raised of whether a driver should be penalised because they could not stop safely and therefore have to run the lights. Simple answer is approach traffic lights with caution; the one thing you can guarantee with lights is that they will change so be prepared to stop…not prepared to beat the red.

Spot on.

This has been my experience and the standard behaviour has changed drastically in the last five years. More accidents will happen until the Gardai enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Yes. Zero visibility or enforcement by Gardai has led to the problem deteriorating rapidly in the past few years.

Meanwhile the Garda press office and the dubiously named RSA are putting all their efforts into making sure all non car users of our roads are aware they should be clad in in yellow vests. Because if ya aren't, you will be blamed when a car runs a red light and mows you down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

the worst junction i know for it is outbound from fairview to clontarf; drivers don't seem to think they've to wait for a green before taking a right onto alfie byrne road - and i'm not talking about gunning it through a couple of seconds after the light has gone red, i mean coming to a stop facing a red, and going 10 or 20s after the light has gone red.
    this is 150m from the front door of a garda station.
    I remember crossing with the green man there and a car coming through the red light. I stared him out of it and the driver shouted out that he was allowed and refused to admit otherwise.

Advertisement