Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Privacy center infection on Vista laptop

• 10-01-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi again, thanks for the help on my previous problem, I've just opened up the other laptop I was "asked" to look at.

It's a vista pc, and immediately on login, it goes to a privacy centre screen which gives (presumably dodgy) details of the myriad trojans, cookies and viruses on the pc. I presume there's a link so that I can "buy" it and help this guy out. Anyway, I can't even get past this screen - the 'x' close command is disabled. Same problem in safe mode.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Pren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I got in! Managed (through boot options) to get task manager running - killed the privacy centre processes and started explorer.exe. From there I could install malwarebytes (though I couldn't update it's definitions, internet problems possibly caused by the malware.) Malware bytes ran and cleared out 120 or so problems - then I updated and ran it again, whereupon nothing was found.

All seems to be in order now.

Advertisement