Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Looking PS2 Games In The Modern Era

• 03-08-2018 6:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, my PS2 to HDMI adapter arrived and, with a spare PStwo switched to output component, Outrun 2006 never looked better than on the 42" Plasma.

But what other games on the PS2 have stood the test of time, outside of arcade shooters ported over.

No lists please, but a couple of games you might think would have the qualities to still be worth seeing off the crt and on a modern display .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The only ones I can think of have already been remastered for ps3, both these have. Beyond Good and Evil or the Ratchet and Clank games might be worth looking at with your new fangled deelie.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resi 4 is ugly on PS2.

Valkyrie Profile Silmeria is probably the best looking PS2 game

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Playing Kuon and Persona 4 a lot lately, both still look gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably shouldn't have sold Kuon then...
    Or Ibara...

Bugger...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How easy is it to render a PStwo region free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How easy is it to render a PStwo region free?

Mod chip install (not easy)
    Free McBoot with HDD Adapter (very easy)

Inviere wrote: »
    Mod chip install (not easy)
    Free McBoot with HDD Adapter (very easy)

I just want to slip my Japanese and US games into the slim and have it work, rather than have to dump them to a hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

I just want to slip my Japanese and US games into the slim and have it work, rather than have to dump them to a hdd.

Mod chip only then if I'm not mistaken. You should have a think about getting a Phat PS2 with FMcB & HDD in it, the reduction in loading times alone is stark, plus no more lasers wearing out

Ah, I have a region free TEST PS2 hooked up to the CRTs, I just wanted a handy solution for the HDMI one.
    It's no problem.
    I'll keep the peepers peeled for a Japanese or US PS2, one already modded, or another TEST console!

• Advertisement

There should be a guy selling premodded ps2s over on the Assembler forums. I think they're about £60 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Dark Chronicle should still look pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 arcadeblasters

SSX Tricky?

SSX Tricky?

Actually, that game has aged pretty well tbh.
    Not to the degree that it would displace 1080° on the N64, but it's still great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually, that game has aged pretty well tbh.
    Not to the degree that it would displace 1080° on the N64, but it's still great

I dunno, SSX Tricky and 3 kind of trump 1080 for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I dunno, SSX Tricky and 3 kind of trump 1080 for me.

The only feature of the N64 title that limits it for me is the framerate, which is certainly improved by playing the NTSC version.
    Plus, I wouldn't play snow boarding games for the stunts but rather for the sense of speeding down a mountain-side.
    The Amped series on the Xbox would have been similar, I have yet to try Steep, awaiting it on the Switch.... probably not coming now...

Advertisement