Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking a civil marriage to a church one

• 22-01-2018 11:29am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for the corresponding church record for this marriage:
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11013/8026995.pdf

It's St Finbarr's Cork but the couple both came from Kilmurry. I've checked the following without luck.
    FMP
    Ancestry
    Rootsireland
    Irishgenealogy

I can't seem to register for a familysearch account at the moment (site says they're doing some maintenance) so haven't checked there.

Any other thoughts?

This might be a brick wall about to crumble!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Reilly & Murphy

St Finbarr's marriage register at registers.nli.ie finishes at Feb 81, you will need to contact the parish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ah, should have thought of the cut-off!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The only thing that appears the first 150 entries for each on Familysearch is the following
    "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYW4-8PJ : 4 December 2014), MARRIAGES entry for Lizzie Murphy; citing Cork, Jul - Sep 1881, vol. 5, p. 111, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,254.
    "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYWW-FMH : 4 December 2014), MARRIAGES entry for Thomas Reilly; citing Cork, Jul - Sep 1881, vol. 5, p. 111, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,254.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Try e-mailing saintfinbarrssouth@eircom.net

They have computerised records after 1880 in the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I notice that Thomas was a policeman.

I have a similar problem with my great grand father who was in the RIC. I have the civil record of his marriage in 1877, but there is no record on the relevant parish marriage register. There were restrictions on RIC men in terms of marriage - they weren't allowed to marry before 7 years of service, and if they married a local woman, they were shifted to another division. So I suspect in my great grand father's case the marriage took place at least two years earlier as their first son was born in 1875. That son was born in his father's home place, 100 miles from where his father was serving, and his father's occupation on the birth cert was given as 'farmer' so some sort of cover up was going on.

• Advertisement

So these people have the right names and their marriage is just over a year before my great-grandfather was born in Dublin. They're the only Murphy-Reilly marriage I can find in the right time frame. The family story was that my g-grandfather was from Cork but his birth seems to be unregistered. I have his DOB from his army record (Free State) and was able to get the corresponding baptismal record in the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin. BUT on his own marriage, he says his father was a labourer, which is a pretty big difference to policeman. And of course, there's no Thomas Reilly death in Dublin that matches up - he's dead by 1901.

If the parents were from Cork originally and moved to Dublin for RIC work, then it would explain the story. However, this marriage says Thomas was living in Cork and RIC men were not allowed serve in the county of their own birth or their wife's.

It likes a jigsaw with no picture made worse by really common surnames.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thomas Reilly, No 35872, born Cavan, catholic, labourer, joined RIC 27 July 1869, aged 19; 5’8”, recommended by Patrick Smith, PP. Wife from Cork, married 29 September 1881 [civil record gives same date]
    Served Cork West Riding from 14 Jan 1870
    Transferred to Tipperary South Riding 20th March 1882
    Transferred to Cork East 10 October 1882
    Promoted Acting Sergeant 1 July 1886
    Promoted Sergeant 1 October 1888
    Pensioned 4th June 1898

1901 living in13 in Cloghmacow (Warrenscourt, Cork), ex sergt RIC
    1911 living in 1 4 in Cloghmacow (Warrenscourt, Cork) ex sergt RIC, married 29 years... four children, only one living
    but you probably have this already.

I did not: thanks.
    That proves it's not him though. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

oh well - that's why eliminating red herrings is an essential if disappointing part of genealogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

KildareFan wrote: »
    I notice that Thomas was a policeman.

I have a similar problem with my great grand father who was in the RIC. I have the civil record of his marriage in 1877, but there is no record on the relevant parish marriage register. There were restrictions on RIC men in terms of marriage - they weren't allowed to marry before 7 years of service, and if they married a local woman, they were shifted to another division. So I suspect in my great grand father's case the marriage took place at least two years earlier as their first son was born in 1875. That son was born in his father's home place, 100 miles from where his father was serving, and his father's occupation on the birth cert was given as 'farmer' so some sort of cover up was going on.

I came across an instance where an RIC man married two years before his RIC record shows him moving to the next county. Perhaps the marriage took place before permission was granted by HQ. Usually the move occurred immediately after the marriage.

• Advertisement

Also, if the father was also in the RIC, then the 7 year rule was relaxed to 6.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement