Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo , Kerry, Leitrim, Sligo and Clare.

• 05-12-2017 9:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Worth starting a thread on these warnings I think and keep track on developments. Main impact in Scotland but quite windy in Ireland also especially coastal counties and high ground.

Met Eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Kerry
    Southerly winds of 50 to 65 km/h are expected with gusts of 90 to 110km/h along coastal areas on Wednesday

Issued:Tuesday 05 December 2017 18:00
    Valid:Wednesday 06 December 2017 06:00 to Wednesday 06 December 2017 23:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    An Atlantic storm will pass close to the north coast of Scotland on Thursday morning. The UK Met Office have named it Storm Caroline. Severe winds will affect parts of Scotland, but it will generate strong and blustery winds over Ireland also.
    Northwest winds of 55 to 65 are expected to gust 100 to 110 km/h - strongest winds in coastal areas and over high ground.

Issued:Tuesday 05 December 2017 14:06
    Valid:Thursday 07 December 2017 03:00 to Thursday 07 December 2017 20:00

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The various models most recent runs.

WRF 12Z Gust

tempresult_hun8.gif

GFS 12Z Gust

tempresult_zsh0.gif

ARPEGE 12Z Gust

tempresult_eqr3.gif

HIRLAM 12Z Mean

tempresult_yqu0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes and threat increasing i feel.

The 18z has the low deeper and its tight gradient passing closer to northern counties.

gfs-0-36.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Interesting,I was wondering earlier today why met eireann issued a low level warning 2 days in advance given the low impact...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ICON model can overestimate speeds a bit but looks like it has brought the stronger winds nearer the Northerly coasts on the latest run all right. Warnings might have to be increased.

tempresult_zki9.gif

GFS wind strength upgraded a bit on latest run .

tempresult_jlp7.gif

fmiuk-11-54-0_kcb5.png

LP west of Ireland brewing into Storm Caroline

Kthoofy.png?1

XsWNR8F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Glad to see this specific alert has been posted here, and I would suggest extending it to more counties in the north (as well as our readers in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man of course).

The main focus here is that the strong winds will develop rapidly in association with a secondary polar low feature that rotates around the Atlantic origin low and tightens the gradient rapidly. Gusts to 120 km/hr would not surprise me in some parts of Ulster and perhaps north/west Connacht due to the rapid pressure changes and unstable nature of this very cold air mass.

Snow squalls are likely with the strong winds at relatively low elevations and certainly on all higher terrain Thursday and repeating on Friday to some extent.

Travel may become difficult in parts of Ulster, north Leinster and Connacht.

Similar conditions may briefly appear in hilly parts of west Munster although they are less in the direct line of fire.

On a lighter note, no snow where I live now (moved last week) but you know how far I have to go to see snow? Three kilometers up the road to gain 100m elevation (or just use my binoculars and look across the lake here at a glaciated mountain range).

Blustery across Northern counties tomorrow, remaining fresh for the rest of the day. Could be some big squally showers later in the day

tempresult_cba0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

@MT sounds spectacular! Do post some pictures of your view if you get a chance, perhaps in the Weather Pictures sub-forum? Back on topic, windchill the next few days is going to be something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Windy out there, 7pm Met reports

Belmullet Gusting 45 knots
    Valentia 37 knots
    Johnstown Castle 36 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Glad to see this specific alert has been posted here, and I would suggest extending it to more counties in the north (as well as our readers in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man of course).

The main focus here is that the strong winds will develop rapidly in association with a secondary polar low feature that rotates around the Atlantic origin low and tightens the gradient rapidly. Gusts to 120 km/hr would not surprise me in some parts of Ulster and perhaps north/west Connacht due to the rapid pressure changes and unstable nature of this very cold air mass.

Snow squalls are likely with the strong winds at relatively low elevations and certainly on all higher terrain Thursday and repeating on Friday to some extent.

Travel may become difficult in parts of Ulster, north Leinster and Connacht.

Similar conditions may briefly appear in hilly parts of west Munster although they are less in the direct line of fire.

On a lighter note, no snow where I live now (moved last week) but you know how far I have to go to see snow? Three kilometers up the road to gain 100m elevation (or just use my binoculars and look across the lake here at a glaciated mountain range).

I'll take a stab and say you've moved out to the Kootenays, possibly the only desert in Canada, the Okanagan? Either way, amazing part of the world out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann aviation warning

EISN PR WRNG 01 VALID 061901/070101 EISN SURFACE PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO PASS THROUGH THE VALUES 997HPA AND 1013HPA IN THE SHANNON FIR DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD WI N5320 W01400 - N5120 W01400 - N5120 W01500 - N5320 W01500 - N5320 W01400=

Advertisement