Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm probably the only one who has suggested DTW here - within 757/321LR range and has a sizeable community of Irish extraction as well as a decent business base (outside the old City Council area) as well as effectively everyone in Windsor who uses it in preference to paying Canadian airport tax.

I think Delta will get on this before EI do, they considered it a few years ago.

EI will most likely go for a route to Canada next year and most likely frequency on others over new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Also, with DL packing up PHL-LHR on the 752 at the end of March, it would free up a frame to do a service like DUB-DTW or DUB-MSP (bit of a stretch for a 752, but maybe doable in the summer months), both of which hubs offer good connections to the midwest and pacific northwest respectively. I've also been seeing on another forum that DL might do well to consider sending the 763 on the DUB-BOS, considering their BOS-LHR run is supposedly doing quite poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Any update if Dallas - Dublin is going to happen or not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any update if Dallas - Dublin is going to happen or not?

No, as its mostly only been discussed on here!

EI to LAS will not be happening any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just noticed something earlier, Ryanair Dublin to Tel Aviv, would that not be pushing the limits for the 737-800 in terms of payload/range and utilisation a little further than Ryanair usually like to go?

It must be what, a 6/6 1/2hour flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Flydubai go to Prague and Bangkok with block hours around that and they have to contend with high ambient temperatures out of DXB.

DXB to PRG 6.40
    DXB to BKK 6.20

From their website:
    When you fly with us, you’ll fly on the latest Boeing 737-800 aircraft, with up to 189 seats and a flying range of just over 6 hours.
    flydubai aircraft are among the most environmentally-friendly planes in the sky today. A combination of CFM56-7B engines from CFM International and blended winglets from Aviation Partners Boeing mean our planes use less fuel, reduce emissions and make less noise.

But in answer to your question re utilisation - I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just noticed something earlier, Ryanair Dublin to Tel Aviv, would that not be pushing the limits for the 737-800 in terms of payload/range and utilisation a little further than Ryanair usually like to go?

TOM did DUB -SSH with a 738 for a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

EI to LAS will not be happening any time soon.
    for sure?! I am sick of not being able to fly direct. The amount of irish travelling there any time I fly, is substantial enough. Hope Norwegian come in and do it, which would be more likely if Ryanair start feeding traffic into them via the Dublin hub...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    for sure?! I am sick of not being able to fly direct. The amount of irish travelling there any time I fly, is substantial enough. Hope Norwegian come in and do it, which would be more likely if Ryanair start feeding traffic into them via the Dublin hub...

It's been explained why several times.

I can't see NAI doing it, if TCX longhaul keeps going well in the UK maybe they may look at it but it's either them or EI in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

For sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I will never fly there via Gatwick again that's for sure, did it via Phili a few weeks back...

Yeah EI have no plans to start it anytime soon, they did consider it but the commercial case wasn't strong enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Las Vegas would be an leisure and thus economy heavy route, I don't think there would large enough business links between Ireland and Las Vegas to drive business class demand unless freight considering mostly everything in Las Vegas is imported from everywhere else.

I think it is a case of Aer Lingus and other carriers being able to get better returns on their aircraft on other routes. EI should pick up a few cheap second hand 777-200's for low yield routes like this. Profits might be low but extra profits are extra profits either way, but with IAG setting the agenda now this won't likely happen. In my fantasy Aer Lingus I'd have connectivity to Hong Kong, Dubai and Sydney.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doltanian wrote: »
    Las Vegas would be an leisure and thus economy heavy route, I don't think there would large enough business links between Ireland and Las Vegas to drive business class demand unless freight considering mostly everything in Las Vegas is imported from everywhere else.

The biz demand to Vegas is for conferences, which are year-round and is surprisingly high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

JCX BXC wrote: »

No?
    Norweigan have been flying passengers from Dublin, Belfast, Shannon and Cork to the NE coast of the United States for over two weeks now.

Have you not been around?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In my fantasy Aer Lingus I'd have connectivity to Hong Kong, Dubai and Sydney.

With a little encouragement, and some fifth freedom rights, I could imagine Sydney happening at some stage, given that Beijing is very close to the great circle route from Dublin to Sydney. I have to believe that there would be sufficient traffic on the Dublin Beijing sectors with both freight and passengers to make that sector viable, and Beijing to Sydney should also be reasonable. The crewing logistics would be heavy though.

Having said that, Hong Kong is also very close to the great circle, so either of them would be an ideal mid point for that route, DUB - SYD is not possible with a 330-200 non stop, both from a crew duty and aircraft range aspect.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Is it possible for Aer lingus to look at serving more medium hual with overnight flights to the likes of Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tel - Aviv, Larnaca, Keiv and Istanbul. Aircraft should be back in time for normal short haul morning departures.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

IE 222 wrote: »
    Is it possible for Aer lingus to look at serving more medium hual with overnight flights to the likes of Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tel - Aviv, Larnaca, Keiv and Istanbul. Aircraft should be back in time for normal short haul morning departures.

Istanbul would be a bit too far for an overnight, the round trip including on the ground time would be between 9 and 10 hours, so that would not work with the present structure of very early departures for the short haul routes, and there could be problems with the arrival time at Istanbul, I don't think there's a curfew as such, but departures from about 01 to 05 are not encouraged, due to the numbers living close to the airport.

Tel Aviv and Larnaca would be equally time constrained, flight times to them would be as long, or slightly longer. The other constraint is that the overnight period is used to perform maintenance checks, and carry out other tasks that are better performed when not under pressure to meet departure times.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In my fantasy Aer Lingus I'd have connectivity to Hong Kong, Dubai and Sydney.

Dubai was tried a few years ago and it didn't last – and that was before the entry of Emirates into the market here.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

With a little encouragement, and some fifth freedom rights, I could imagine Sydney happening at some stage, given that Beijing is very close to the great circle route from Dublin to Sydney. I have to believe that there would be sufficient traffic on the Dublin Beijing sectors with both freight and passengers to make that sector viable, and Beijing to Sydney should also be reasonable. The crewing logistics would be heavy though.

Having said that, Hong Kong is also very close to the great circle, so either of them would be an ideal mid point for that route, DUB - SYD is not possible with a 330-200 non stop, both from a crew duty and aircraft range aspect.

Let's get back in the real world; if BA has to massively pare back the number of routes which go the full Kangaroo (on cost grounds), there is no prospect of EI making it work.

No?
    Norweigan have been flying passengers from Dublin, Belfast, Shannon and Cork to the NE coast of the United States for over two weeks now.

Hence why I said for Ryanair, fuel stops and crew issues are generally not Ryanairs cup of tea.

No?

With capacity limits and fuel stops. Ryanair have dropped routes due to capacity limits e.g. imposed by runway length before remember, Belfast for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭sandbelter

IE 222 wrote: »

I actually think there is serious potential for a midnight departure bank from Dublin. 
    It would need EI102 to go year round (as a start) and a serious focus on feed from North America but Dublin being curfew free and sufficiently far west for East Coast US arrivals to leave mid morning feed  and then connect for a 5/6am arrival in Eastern Europe could actually make it work.  Personally I think anywhere east of Warsaw and South east of Bucharest would work, and one stop flights into the Greek islands, Dubrovik, and other holiday destinations could also work.  
    Europe actually lacks a hub that could function in early hours of the morning (much like the Middle east or India), KEF is trying to fill the void but really DUB's to grab and make happen.  But Dublin traffic on its own won't support it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

+1 Aer Lingus should've kept the dayflight. Ireland is in a very unique position in Europe to be able to have departures from NE USA that can leave as late as 1pm and land by 11pm, they should be taking advantage of that.

You could have the following departures from American cities:

ORD: 10:00pm
    IAD: 12:00pm
    MIA:10:00am
    BOS: 1:00pm
    YYZ: 12:00pm

That's if you want the flights to arrive at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was always of the opinion that EI and FR could have flights leave DUB between 10Pm and 12 PM heading to the usual bucket and spade routes returning between 4am and 5:30am, then be ready for the morning departure bank starting at 6am.

I'm sure there is a reason they don't currently do it in the summer however I think it could work.

Istanbul would be a bit too far for an overnight, the round trip including on the ground time would be between 9 and 10 hours, so that would not work with the present structure of very early departures for the short haul routes, and there could be problems with the arrival time at Istanbul, I don't think there's a curfew as such, but departures from about 01 to 05 are not encouraged, due to the numbers living close to the airport.

Tel Aviv and Larnaca would be equally time constrained, flight times to them would be as long, or slightly longer. The other constraint is that the overnight period is used to perform maintenance checks, and carry out other tasks that are better performed when not under pressure to meet departure times.

Returning Departures would be leaving between 4 and 5am local time with the time difference. A 8-9pm Dub departures should have aircraft back between 6 and 7am. Some adjustments to flights like Naples, Nice and bucket and spade routes could be made.

I don't see a need to run all routes daily maybe just Istanbul and Moscow the rest can work as 4 and 3 weekly only needing 4 planes to serve overnight routes which wouldn't impact maintenance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

You could have the following departures from American cities:

ORD: 10:00pm
    IAD: 12:00pm
    MIA:10:00am
    BOS: 1:00pm
    YYZ: 12:00pm

That's if you want the flights to arrive at 11pm.

The only trick with this is getting planes out of Dublin early enough. It could be done if there was the will (5:30am DUB-ORD anyone?) but I can't see it.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

sandbelter wrote: »
    I actually think there is serious potential for a midnight departure bank from Dublin. 
    It would need EI102 to go year round (as a start) and a serious focus on feed from North America but Dublin being curfew free and sufficiently far west for East Coast US arrivals to leave mid morning feed  and then connect for a 5/6am arrival in Eastern Europe could actually make it work.  Personally I think anywhere east of Warsaw and South east of Bucharest would work, and one stop flights into the Greek islands, Dubrovik, and other holiday destinations could also work.  
    Europe actually lacks a hub that could function in early hours of the morning (much like the Middle east or India), KEF is trying to fill the void but really DUB's to grab and make happen.  But Dublin traffic on its own won't support it.

Bringing back EI102 would be a start and pushing LAX and SFO out 3 or 4 hours for later arrival in Dublin could work. A 3rd early service on Boston as well. Chicago and Miami are well fed with direct or connection flights already plus there longer routes.

The A321 order can help with adding extra morning flights to the likes of Chicago and Boston. I also think EI would do very well targeting the likes of Winnipeg, Halifax, St. John's, Buffalo, Richmond, Portland (Maine) and Quebec with A321s. Personally I think EI are leaving themselves short on A321.

• Advertisement

I was always of the opinion that EI and FR could have flights leave DUB between 10Pm and 12 PM heading to the usual bucket and spade routes returning between 4am and 5:30am, then be ready for the morning departure bank starting at 6am.

I'm sure there is a reason they don't currently do it in the summer however I think it could work.

Not very family-friendly also hotel check in times don't help and people will loose time of their hols

Advertisement