Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious cults in Ireland

• 24-06-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone been in one or know anyone who has? Any good stories?

I'm talking about the small ones, not the bigger ones like the papist church or their likes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I can see this thread going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Scientology is active in Ireland (there are Scientologists on Boards), and the Moonies used to be active here too - no idea if they are still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ya i've been in a cúnt!

.....oh wait...he said a cult?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've had scienctologists(sp?) trying to recruit me for years.. Even wanted me to go to London at one stage.

Except for that,no, afraid not.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

The the catholic church :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Fúcking Jahovas witnesses. Never leave the door alone. Next one that comes to the door I'll invite them in if they don't mind me polishing my rifle.

*And that they dont mind the shovel, lime and containers of amonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Catholicism had me for the guts of 24 years.

Funny story: This one time they tried to make me feel guilty for having sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The only difference between a cult and a religion is scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Scientology is active in Ireland (there are Scientologists on Boards), and the Moonies used to be active here too - no idea if they are still around.

I used to be a Moonie. When I was on the school football team as a kid, we were always mooning out the back of the bus at cars behind us.

Hated science though, so I never studied scientology after the inter cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cooneyites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Hah, completely unrelated drunken story
    but I remeber whe we were giving a lift to aul Hugh who used to live beside us before, and it was after some mass suicide was on the news or something and he was asking "Why in the name of jaysis would they all go and do that?"
    And the aul lady says "It was some cult or something Hugh"
    And he says "Well some proper cúnt is right Mary!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Father Ted: It's not as if everyone's going to go off and join some mad religious cult just because we go off for a picnic for a couple of hours.
    Father Dougal: God, Ted, I heard about those cults. Everyone dressing in black and saying our Lord's gonna come back and judge us all!
    Father Ted: No... No, Dougal, that's us. That's Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

Opus Dei have a compound out at Lismullin near the Hill of Tara, my ex used to have a job cleanin' the place, said she'd see the spiky legbrace things in the rooms sometimes when she was cleanin'. Course she was just after reading The Da Vinci Code (and worse, liking it) so no telling if it was true or just to spice up the conversation past "what you do today love? - cleaned, again." But the place is there anyway, just off the Dublin road between Navan and Dunshaughlin.

Me uncle's friend is a Scientologist, never met him but d'uncle says he loses all his money to the leeches and would be a bit odd, even before joining. And me mam's friend was a Moonie, there's a bit of a story to it that I can't remember, but it ended very badly indeed. I might be back if I can remember it. Hmm, why do I know so many people in some way linked to cults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cannery

I ran into the scientologists in england about 18yrs ago , a lovely looking girl from Derry stopped me on the street & asked if i wanted to buy a book ( ron l`s dianetics) , i bought it 3 quid .
    Within the hour i was in their office filling out forms with multiple choice answers . I got out of there fairly lively when they wanted to question me further . The ***** are still writing to me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

cannery wrote: »
    I ran into the scientologists in england about 18yrs ago , a lovely looking girl from Derry stopped me on the street & asked if i wanted to buy a book ( ron l`s dianetics) , i bought it 3 quid .
    Within the hour i was in their office filling out forms with multiple choice answers . I got out of there fairly lively when they wanted to question me further . The ***** are still writing to me .

this happened to me and a mate years ago. woman got us to come into their office in middle abbey st in dublin and flog us the dianetics book. we just sat there taking the piss out of their stupid questions and asking to see tom cruise until they eventually told us to leave

this happened to me and a mate years ago. woman got us to come into their office in middle abbey st in dublin and flog us the dianetics book. we just sat there taking the piss out of their stupid questions and asking to see tom cruise until they eventually told us to leave
    Their up to all sorts of tricks , you see them in subway stations in NY , Grand Central & Times Square offering free stress test`s , no mention of scientology at all , but it`s them all right .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Cork.

Heard they have their own weird language .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The money robbing, family dividing Scientology cult in Ireland is the most dangerous present day one to start-up.
    Simple example: http://www.unitedpeople.ie/exposed.html

• Advertisement

cannery wrote: »
    Their up to all sorts of tricks , you see them in subway stations in NY , Grand Central & Times Square offering free stress test`s , no mention of scientology at all , but it`s them all right .

I remember we went into the scientology centre off Times Square. My friend and I were convinced that they were going to hypnotise us. They told me that I jad a bad " other religion aura" that was holding me back.

I remember during the stress test, they ask if you have any shameful secrets.
    I told her" Sometimes, I feel like Jesus is telling me to punish non-believers. What does that mean?"
    Thereafter, I was asked to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I remember during the stress test, they ask if you have any shameful secrets. I told her "Sometimes, I feel like Jesus is telling me to punish non-believers. What does that mean?"

In work at the moment. Just laughed. Not sure my Japanese co-workers would get it.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jahaova witness they came to my door, trying to convert us, i don't know why they are doing it because standing at a door won't get someone to convert sorry!

Tristram wrote: »
    In work at the moment. Just laughed. Not sure my Japanese co-workers would get it.

:D

Crazy place. They showed us a "documentary" before the stress test about a kid playing American football who broke his spine and was paralysed but using the power of thought convinced himself to not be paralysed. Also, even after the tackle in the mud, his make up was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

With their totally devoted fanatical supporters, the biggest and most dangerous cult in the country is F.F.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

bronte wrote: »
    Catholicism had me for the guts of 24 years.

Funny story: This one time they tried to make me feel guilty for having sex.

How, exactly? How did they have you for 24 years, did you grow up on a monastary island or something?

Exactly when and how specifically did they make you feel guilty about sex? AFAIK they dot give those cleansing blessings to women who have given birth these days. Fook I remember confession at 15, you would plod in, mumble about having got pissed and not doing your homework and a wildly disinterested priest would hand you your three hail marys and send you on your way. The only one time I had any contact with the far right of the church was one fairly young but unbalanced female religion teacher who preached a 1950s version of Catholicism.

The rest of our religion teachers stuck on DVDs or let us do our homework in class, or just bantered. Or came to class in ridicilous tght tops.

The mormons are quare hawks aswell , Louis Theroux made a good documentary about them . A friend of mine married a mormon girl , she dosent practise but will fight her corner if there`s any slagging .
    Some craic at the wedding , one half of the hall full of paddys getin tanked the other half mormons disgusted with the carry on , they dont even drink cafeine .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

owenc wrote: »
    Jahaova witness they came to my door, trying to convert us, i don't know why they are doing it because standing at a door won't get someone to convert sorry!

Tell that to the fúckers with "the big switch" thing from Bord Gais and Airtricity...

NO I DON'T WANT CHEAPER ELECTRICITY!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

I bought a car from the moonies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Tell that to the fúckers with "the big switch" thing from Bord Gais and Airtricity...

NO I DON'T WANT CHEAPER ELECTRICITY!

:mad:

no, but they have secret weapons to deal with people like you!

(.)(.)

Advertisement