Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I've no idea if this is a bargin or not so buyer beware and check what you are getting suits your needs but I noticed that Sam McCauleys chemists have a €150 euro first aid kit reduced to €75.

It would be good if someone who is more of an expert could take a look to see if they are good value or not and report back.

Looked it up for myself and this is the offer http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=3120&loc=P&catid=47.1

Looks like this
    p9828831.jpg

Kit Contents Quantity
    • Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1.5IN X 15YD 1
    • Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1IN x 10YD 1
    • Meditape 2.5CM x 5M Zinc Oxide Tape 1
    • Medicare EAB BP 7.5CM x 4.5M 1
    • BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 10Cm x 5 M 1
    • BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 8cm x 5M 1
    • BV Conforming Bandage 10cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 1
    • BV Conforming Bandage 7cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 2
    • Crest Unichem BP Cotton Wool 25gm 1
    • Medicare Fabric Strip 1m x 6cm 1
    • Medicare Fabric Plasters (30’s) 1
    • Mueller Instant Cold Pack – Medium 2
    • Crest Emergency Eye Wash 20ml 2
    • Medifreeze Cool Spray 200ml 1
    • Wintergreen Spray 200ml 1
    • Medicare Calico Triangular Bandage (90 x 127cm) 2
    • BV Rescue Sheet Silver 140 x 220cm 1
    • Mediwipes Antiseptic Wipes (10s) 1
    • Medicare Toughcut Emergency Shears 18cm 1
    • Safety Pins 6’s Assorted 1
    • Medicare Dressing Scissors 14cm Sharp/Blunt 1
    • Urgo Skin Closures 3mm x 75mm (5’s) 1
    • Med skin Latex Glove Lightly Powdered Medium 4 Pairs
    • Medicare Revive Aid 1
    • Medicare Wound Dressing No 9 (Large) 1
    • Medicare Wound Dressing No 8 (Medium) 1
    • Medicare No 16 Eye Pad Dressing 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

I've no idea if this is a bargin or not so buyer beware and check what you are getting suits your needs but I noticed that Sam McCauleys chemists have a €150 euro first aid kit reduced to €75.

It would be good if someone who is more of an expert could take a look to see if they are good value or not and report back.

Looked it up for myself and this is the offer http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=3120&loc=P&catid=47.1

Looks like this
    p9828831.jpg

Kit Contents Quantity
    • Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1.5IN X 15YD 1
    • Mueller Zinc Oxide M-Tape 1IN x 10YD 1
    • Meditape 2.5CM x 5M Zinc Oxide Tape 1
    • Medicare EAB BP 7.5CM x 4.5M 1
    • BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 10Cm x 5 M 1
    • BV Elastic Crepe Bandage 8cm x 5M 1
    • BV Conforming Bandage 10cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 1
    • BV Conforming Bandage 7cm x 4M Cotton/Polyamide 2
    • Crest Unichem BP Cotton Wool 25gm 1
    • Medicare Fabric Strip 1m x 6cm 1
    • Medicare Fabric Plasters (30’s) 1
    • Mueller Instant Cold Pack – Medium 2
    • Crest Emergency Eye Wash 20ml 2
    • Medifreeze Cool Spray 200ml 1
    • Wintergreen Spray 200ml 1
    • Medicare Calico Triangular Bandage (90 x 127cm) 2
    • BV Rescue Sheet Silver 140 x 220cm 1
    • Mediwipes Antiseptic Wipes (10s) 1
    • Medicare Toughcut Emergency Shears 18cm 1
    • Safety Pins 6’s Assorted 1
    • Medicare Dressing Scissors 14cm Sharp/Blunt 1
    • Urgo Skin Closures 3mm x 75mm (5’s) 1
    • Med skin Latex Glove Lightly Powdered Medium 4 Pairs
    • Medicare Revive Aid 1
    • Medicare Wound Dressing No 9 (Large) 1
    • Medicare Wound Dressing No 8 (Medium) 1
    • Medicare No 16 Eye Pad Dressing 1

I'm more of a "just gimme gloves, tape, scissors, gauze, a few roller banadages and a load of triangular bandages" kinda guy so I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices of first aid kits. But this strikes me as being pricey enough for what you're getting. Surely you could buy all the components for much less than 75 quid?

I've always thought first aid "packs" are overpriced because of the bag they come in. Anything basic that I carry goes in an ancient manbag and I've never spent anything close to 75 euro on kit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Coming up in Aldi http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20690.htm

210 Litre Water Butt Set
    each €39.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

€8 first aid kit. it would be a start

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20676.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I'm more of a "just gimme gloves, tape, scissors, gauze, a few roller banadages and a load of triangular bandages" kinda guy so I don't pay a lot of attention to the prices of first aid kits. But this strikes me as being pricey enough for what you're getting. Surely you could buy all the components for much less than 75 quid?

I've always thought first aid "packs" are overpriced because of the bag they come in. Anything basic that I carry goes in an ancient manbag and I've never spent anything close to 75 euro on kit.

I was looking at it
    it is pretty huge and you get the bag you would want to have a large family into extreme sports to make it worth your while

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    €8 first aid kit. it would be a start

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20676.htm[/QUOTE]

Looks very like the Lidl Car First Aid Kit from a few months back, similar case and survival blanket in both of them, if its anything like the Lidl one which I bought then its excellent value.

Noticed that Lidl have a few 6kg Dry Powder ABC fire extinguishers in fairly tatty boxes. Think these have been in and out of the shops a few times but they seem good value at €20, afaik they were about €40 when they first had them, googling for prices online and €40 seems the sort of price this size of extingusher normally goes for.

6kg should give you about 18-20seconds of use. And the ABC rating means its good on class A materials such as paper, cardboard and wood, class B fires, those fuelled by oils, paints and solvents etc, and class C fires which are fuelled by flammable gases such as propane and methane plus afaik can be used on electical fires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Lidl have some fishing gear coming up...i know the rods are not great quality but the hooks and stuff might be worth a punt.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-E833D40E-734F2894/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18859

Lidl have some fishing gear coming up...i know the rods are not great quality but the hooks and stuff might be worth a punt.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-E833D40E-734F2894/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=18859

Was just in Woodies today and they have a mass of merchandised fishing gear, and I just picked up the bits I wanted, hooks, swivels and line (far more than I needed) cost me about 8euro. Wanted some split lead shot but that was silly money in a dispenser pack. Anyway good range at Woodies, nothing special about the prices but no pressure to buy like when your in a real fishing tackle shop.

Also picked up the Aldi Car First Aid kit, I have the Lidl one and they are very similar, I prefer the lay out of the Lidl case (it has fold out sections the Aldi one has a single rolled up section which isn't attached to the main case) so I'll keep the Lidl one as is (plus a few extras) in the car and break up the Aldi one for bits to start a smaller personal first aid kit.

Was also in TK Maxx today not a place I really expect to find a bargin but got a Mini Maglite LED Flashlight €12, kit included batties and a belt holster. This was a further reduction from the previous price €16.99. They had at least another half dozen on the top of the display rack that had stuff that had be reduced. All were a silvery graphite colour quite dark but not black, holster is black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone know any good deals on chafing fuel aka canned heat aka brand name Sterno? Saw a 2-hour can today for €2.50 in a shop, but there must be better deals out there?

Apparently, if it is ethanol based, you can melt it and drink it :eek: - not recommended, but if its the actual end of the EOTWAWKI, who cares? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Esel wrote: »
    Anyone know any good deals on chafing fuel aka canned heat aka brand name Sterno? Saw a 2-hour can today for €2.50 in a shop, but there must be better deals out there?

Apparently, if it is ethanol based, you can melt it and drink it :eek: - not recommended, but if its the actual end of the EOTWAWKI, who cares? :D
    Just to add - found good value on http://www.nisbets.ie/chafing-fuel/q02.r10.1/Search.raction

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Aldi have hexi stoves /blocks sleeping bags small rucksacks 20l water carriers in on sunday

grapeape wrote: »
    Aldi have hexi stoves /blocks sleeping bags small rucksacks 20l water carriers in on sunday

Typical just stocked up in the UK a couple of days ago :rolleyes:

Stove was £2.45 (with fuel) and extra tablets £1.25 for a pack of 24. A relative used to work were I bought them and I know the pricing policy so will be interested to see how much they are in a discount store over here.

btw for the food store I'll be taking a look at these tinned veg currys and getting a few if the use by dates aren't too near.

Typical just stocked up in the UK a couple of days ago :rolleyes:

Stove was £2.45 (with fuel) and extra tablets £1.25 for a pack of 24. A relative used to work were I bought them and I know the pricing policy so will be interested to see how much they are in a discount store over here.

btw for the food store I'll be taking a look at these tinned veg currys and getting a few if the use by dates aren't too near.
    Stove is €4.49 (the blocks you get with them are known to spit and spark if you store them for long periods Ive used them)
    tablets are €1.99
    sleeping bags are €8.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lidl have their camping stuff on the 5th, no hexi stoves but they do have gas stoves.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Lidl have their camping stuff on the 5th, no hexi stoves but they do have gas stoves.

Avoid the 10-30 x 60mm binonculars, very poor quality and useless at anything above about 15x at 30x they are unusable even with a tripod. If you want cheap bins then wait for the 10 x 50mm's (always well under €20) which are excellent in comparison.

Anyone tried the Night Vision Scope?

Anyone who hasn't used a solid fuel stove like the one Aldi will have in might like a look at the video found here (page includes links to most of the makes of stove for comparison) and then you'll probably be looking for a tin mug and don't blame me when you burn your lips ;).

hardCopy wrote: »
    Just looking at the camping items in Lidl going by the pictures thats not a good camping stove as once you connect your gas can it cant be disconnected until empty

• Advertisement

Avoid the 10-30 x 60mm binonculars, very poor quality and useless at anything above about 15x at 30x they are unusable even with a tripod. If you want cheap bins then wait for the 10 x 50mm's (always well under €20) which are excellent in comparison.

Anyone tried the Night Vision Scope?
    I got one as a gift a couple of years back they arent bad you can make out things people about 40 feet away but thats about it. Ill dig it out tonight and do another check with it as it hasnt been out of the box in over a year

Just looking at the camping items in Lidl going by the pictures thats not a good camping stove as once you connect your gas can it cant be disconnected until empty

True, but why would you want to disconect it?

btw I have an old gas lamp that takes the same gas canister and its had the same canister in it for the last 5years and its still nearly full.

Its only really if you need to break a stove down into smaller parts for storage in a bob that might become an issue.

The biggest issue I have with any stove is the mess and smell many of them make, the hexy stoves being some of the worst in that respect and gas the cleanest so it has some advantages.

True, but why would you want to disconect it?

btw I have an old gas lamp that takes the same gas canister and its had the same canister in it for the last 5years and its still nearly full.

Its only really if you need to break a stove down into smaller parts for storage in a bob that might become an issue.

The biggest issue I have with any stove is the mess and smell many of them make, the hexy stoves being some of the worst in that respect and gas the cleanest so it has some advantages.
    Personally id be using it in a BOB/camping bag and wouldnt want it connected all the time (im a smoker and dont want gas leaking just as i light up:D) If you want it for home use only once its stored right it should be fine

Just to add Tesco have the mini folding stove for less than €15 and you can get the gas in 2 sizes in Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

FrostyJack wrote: »

Its BOB not BOG ;)

Love the bit in the description
    Unfortunately we cannot accept returns for this product

and wtf is a
    solid hand pump
    one thats jammed up and won't work?

FrostyJack wrote: »

You should put a deposit on one straight away :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yup, Sunday's going to be an expensive day for me, even at those prices, two of everything plus drybags.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Heinnies clearance page, always worth a look.

http://www.heinnie.com/Clearance/c-showall-102/

• Advertisement

Lidl had some 2m x 3m "tarpaulins" for €4.99 today.

Aditional info: Used one today to sheet down my trailer with a load of logs on it. Not bad for the money, you even get a hank of cheap stiff and nasty plastic washing line with it. No stiching on it anywhere all molded seams and reinforced corners for the eye rivits. Material is quite thin but with careful use should last OK, seems quite suitable to make a "basher" out of but maybe not for stealth mode as its a very noisey fabric which rustles a bit when it moves. For the time being I've added one to the car kit but might consider adding it to a bob as its quite light.

Advertisement