Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best side quests in Oblivion?

• 20-06-2006 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

OK I'm looking for a list of the "must see" side quests. I don't mean quests that get you awesome loot (hardly nessecary when street beggars seem to wear daedric armour at higher levels!!!). I mean quests that are particularly imaginative or entertaining. Avoid spoilers please - perhaps just give the name of the quest (if you can remember it), where it starts and a quick non spoilery description of why the quest is worth doing.

To avoid duplication lets assume that the Fighters guild, Mages guild, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Arena quest lines have already been covered.

OK Ill kick off:

Quest: "Through a nightmare darkly", starts in Bravil MagesGuild. Its a bit like one of those "Crystal Maze" gameshows.

Quest: "Where Spirits Have lease", starts in an inn in Anvil. A guy down the pub (who seems to be in a hurry to leave town) offers to sell you a house for a knock down price. You just know you are being set up but I'm a sucker for a bargain.

Quest: Can't remember the name but starts in the "Bloated Float" on the waterfront in the Imperial city. This one caught me by surprise. I thought it would be nice to spend a night on this former boat turned into a dockside inn but I certainly didn't expect what happened next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I love the nightmare one and the boat one they're class.

I cant remember the name of it but have you done the one where you are in the painting. Very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

a brush with death?
    yes very cool

not a quest as such (well i believe its part of a Daedric quest) but i came across a female soldier early on in my wandering around admiring everything phase and she was just standing around in a Aeylid ruin and she won't talk to you, so i had a go at her but she whooped my arse so i left her alone
    but i came back lately and smacked her bottom and it turns out she has the best sword in the game apart from one you make yourself
    it has a 120 soul trap on stike and is a 28 damage on my level 15 and because its a quest item doesn't weigh anything
    its found at
    Vindasel near the imperial city along the riverand its called Umbra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That one is part of a daedric shrine quest. ^^^ Cant remember his name. :/ You must be level 20 to do it. Its really close to the ruin iirc.

Daedric shrines are some of the best quests you can find. Sanguine is one that sticks to memory. There's also one where you
    have to get killed by a certain chap.
    Can't remember what shrine though. Could be molag bal.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Sanguine is the funniest I played so far. As it is almost impossible not to get detected it may degenerate into a totally cool scenario.
    Resist arrest, run around, kick few random people and go invisible. When I did it some of the naked guests started to fight the guards. Also if you are a member of the fighters guild you can drag the guards in there. A total civil war will start between the guild members and the guards. I guess I don't have to mention that the fighters will kick their arses hehe

that mission/quest is class. What craziness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

superfly wrote:
    a brush with death?
    yes very cool

not a quest as such (well i believe its part of a Daedric quest) but i came across a female soldier early on in my wandering around admiring everything phase and she was just standing around in a Aeylid ruin and she won't talk to you, so i had a go at her but she whooped my arse so i left her alone
    but i came back lately and smacked her bottom and it turns out she has the best sword in the game apart from one you make yourself
    it has a 120 soul trap on stike and is a 28 damage on my level 15 and because its a quest item doesn't weigh anything
    its found at
    Vindasel near the imperial city along the riverand its called Umbra

This one sounds cool, but is there any point me looking to do it? Im only a level 13 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

You can get the sword whenever you want (if you can kill Umbra), but to actually "officially" start the quest, you must be level 20.

EDIT: Sorry i just changed "cant" to "can"

I want to add the "Knights of the White Stallion" quest to this list. You start it in the castle in Leyawiin. Pretty cool with some team work for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I liked the Sheogorath Daedric quest and the one where your in the guy's dream

You can get the sword whenever you want (if you can kill Umbra), but to actually "officially" start the quest, you must be level 20.

EDIT: Sorry i just changed "cant" to "can"

to follow on from this, your best off just not doing the quest at all, as long as you don't finish it, the sword is weightless.

I just did the one of the last quests of the Thieves Guild (the one with the Arrow of Extrication). As I play as Argonian I was happy enough to wander in the deeps of the cave. After a long journey in the deep I found a Giant Slaughterfish. It looks very much like the normal ones, but it's huge. After a cool underwater fight managed to slay the beast. He was packed with goodies, probably he swallowed a bunch of armored warriors in the past. :-)

Did anyone else find the monster?

• Advertisement

Duras wrote:

class, had never heard of this but am very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Duras wrote:
    I just did the one of the last quests of the Thieves Guild (the one with the Arrow of Extrication). As I play as Argonian I was happy enough to wander in the deeps of the cave. After a long journey in the deep I found a Giant Slaughterfish. It looks very much like the normal ones, but it's huge. After a cool underwater fight managed to slay the beast. He was packed with goodies, probably he swallowed a bunch of armored warriors in the past. :-)

yeah luckily i had a breathe spell so I was able to tackle it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Mad Mike wrote:
    Quest: Can't remember the name but starts in the "Bloated Float" on the waterfront in the Imperial city. This one caught me by surprise. I thought it would be nice to spend a night on this former boat turned into a dockside inn but I certainly didn't expect what happened next.

I love that one (An Unexpected Voyage) but Zero Visibility has to be my favourite.

Aleswell Inn, North of the Imperial Isle near the T Junction to Bruma

Description:
    Some bloody High Elf has made some villagers invisible. As usual it seems only you can clean up this mess...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Eh theres the one with the painting and the magic brush...you'll definitely remember it if you've done it.Think its in Skingrad, although i'm not sure, its been over a year since I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BENJAMIN61

The Magic Paint Prush Quest Is In Cheydinhal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Duras wrote: »

Weird... I was JUST talking about this mission with my mate tonight. It's a class part, found the fecker by sheer chance.

Another favourite of mine is one of the Daedric quests, think it's the Sheogorath, where you have to convince the village that the apocalypse is coming. Fantastic fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Doomrider

The great thing about Oblivion is that you can make up your own quests.

For instance, if you have the Battlehorn castle download, you can find a problem with your new home. To find this out, check around your living quarters. I will say no more.

Alternatively, you can just head out into the wilderness and find some dungeon. Raid it, and as you do so, make up some back story about why the monsters/skeletons/loot are there. Who died there? What are the monster's prey?

If you're feeling less noble, you could stalk and kill someone, that's always fun. Make up some paranoid rant about why they should be killed, and then execute them.

That reminds me, Paranoia in Skingrad is a good sidequest too.

My favourite quest in Oblivion is "Whodunnit?" from the Dark Brotherhood. So many ways to kill those people, and their reactions as you pick them off one by one. Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Samariswords

As the person above me said, this game is just as good not doing quests, as it is doing them.

Sheogorath's Shrine is awesome
    Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine Obviously

Not because its extrememly fun, just because the way me and my friend found it and complete it was kinda funny.
    ^
    Refering to the Quest of Rosenhall, i think its called, the house in Skingrad,
    Beginning- (hint) Its fun to practice your acrobatics in your house
    Description- Scavenger Hunt, (Hint) Near the Anti-Vampirism plant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Through a Nightmare, Darkly and the painter side quest are probably my favourites as they feel so different to the sometimes constant slog of going down mines looking for people.

The Hackdirt quest is also alot of fun especially if you encounter it when you're at a very low level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

that painting quest was excellent, very original and nicely designed! i love the dark brotherhood missions too, seriously cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Hmm, my favourite side quests that I can think of right now were the Chorrol Castle one where you have to find the painting, the Shoegorath Daedric Shrine quest, and one of the other Shrine quests (can't remember which one) in the Nord vilalge where you have to turn the two families against each other. Oh and the final Shrine quest was fun too. Played it very cloak and dagger and had a great time with it.

Overall though, Dark Brotherhood an Thieves Guild quests all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ArtysGurl

My favorite part in the nightmare quest is the test of patience XD i loved it. I hated that painting one lol i didnt know i was going to get stuck in a painting and i was only level 4 so i had to think my way through instead of fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ArtysGurl

right now im doing the quests for the nine before i do any of the brotherhood ones lol What factions is everyone in? Im an associate in mages guild Prowler in theives apprentice in fighters guild honored madman in court of madness pilgrim of the nine divines murderer in the dark brotherhood and knight commander of the knights of the nine, wish i was higher on some of those but i only started a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think I might have jumped over some parts of that test of patience with impatience. I loved the colours in that quest. Very nice use of the engine and you get to see minotaurs early when you're at a low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

The Knights of the Nine was a fantastic quest on the first play through. Those puzzel bits were fantastic.
    The Dark Brotherhood quests were also great. The part sneaking back into the prison was good :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I must go back and finish off more of this again, think I'd bought various of the addon packs and then never got as far as even starting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gax

The one when you go to Hackdirt and F*CK SH*T UP is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 azuras_amoeba

The Vaermina daedric quest is INCREDIBLE! Really amazing visuals and a pretty interesting reward, hehe. It shouldn't be missed.
    Think Alice in Wonderland meets Dali and you'll get an idea of the visuals.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's also pretty funny to drop the staff and get someone to use it on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

swiftblade wrote: »
    The part sneaking back into the prison was good :)

+1.

Advertisement