Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Prison Officer

• 25-11-2014 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Well, here we go with our first "official" AMA on Boards. I'd like to introduce you all to Omackeral who is an Irish Prison Officer and who has signed up for your questions. I'll leave it to him to share some details about himself.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

What prison do you work in? (if you can say).

Do you agree with how well murders and criminal in general are treated in prison in this country? ie: TV in rooms, short sentences for horrible crimes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Are some prisons like hotels?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Has an inmate ever attempted to assault you?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Is it possible to join the Prison service without a leaving cert. Are they actively recruiting at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Is it true that Heroin is what 'keeps the lid on the place' and as such, the guards tolerate it, turning a blind eye to those smuggling it in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Fran...pool cue... Really?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If American TV has thought me anything, a crook can make a shank out of anything in the clink. Is that something that is common in the Irish prison system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

How do ye supposedly miss so much stuff smuggled in. Do ye turn a blind eye just to keep the peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

How do you cope with being in such a negative environment day in day out, do you find it takes a toll on your mental health and our general outlook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do Travellers mix or do they keep to themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you ever get yourself interested in what people have been jailed for - do you ever find yourself thinking that one prisoner may be "less guilty" than another and giving them more favourable treatment, or do you do your best to keep all that at arms length?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Do you worry about people getting released who might live in the same town as you/your family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

What is required for someone to become a prison officer?
    Do you need to have a security background?
    Do you need a third level qualification?

What is the salary like?
    What are the career prospects like?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

What time is lunch break

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How does it feel to constantly read the bullsh*t opinions about what happens in prison from AH posters who clearly have no idea?

Do you think cliques/bullying are still prominent amongst prison staff?

Do you think working full time in a prison instills an us vs them attitude in prison officers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I bet you've seen some crazy things. :eek:

How old are you and what made your become a Prison Officer? And for how long?

What the oddest thing you've seen being hidden in an prisoner's "prison purse" (arse)?

Is it hard to treat the prisoner with respect considering some of the crimes they have committed?

Where is Mr Jingles?

What prisoner (if any) has made a lasting impression on you, good or bad?

How common is prison murder? Have you witnessed or been on the scene of a prison murder?

What time is bed time for the prisoners? When do they usually wake?

Do you celebrate Christmas in prison? Or any holidays for that matter? Religious ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Minister of Justice for a day, and money no object. What one thing would you change about the place you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Have you ever seen anyone playing pool in the showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In your opinion does prison work? What percentage of prisoners would be offenders ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do you have to limit your social life because of your profession eg are you always watching over your shoulder when you are out and about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

how are inmates able to get so much contraband into prisons?

Do you keep in contact with inmates that have been released since you arrived?

Did you ever meet an inmate who you thought was innocent of the crime they were put away for?

Who's the most memorable inmate you can remember?

Were there ever other officers who abused their power?Do you think the job attracts people who want to be in control at all?
    Or any corruption at all?

Were there any times that you feared for your life?

Did you have a favorite inmate/make real good friends with one?

Do you miss any of them in particular? Why if so?

What's the worst thing you've seen happen?

What's the most memorable turn around you witnessed? From someone who seemed a no hoper to somebody with a few prospects. Or were there people made worse by prison moreso?

How severely was the facility impacted by lack of budget?

What happens if in mates ever tried attacking guards? Do they have imaginative ways to hide weapons?

If you could change one thing about how the prison you are at is run what would it be?

What was the weirdest or most surprising thing you found in an inmate's cell?

Do officers get intimated outside work?

Tell me of the inmate you hate most?

Anybody ever escape?

I have a 20 pack of cigarettes, what can i get for them in prison?

Do any of the inmates have outrageous nicknames?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭letsgetloud

are you going to answer any of these questions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Have any prison officers been caught or suspected of smuggling in drugs or other 'contraband'?

Are there any kind of prejudiced attitudes from prison officers, towards prisoners? (or even specific groups of prisoners, e.g. travellers, addicts?)

If a prisoner is physically violent to a staff member, are they ever retaliated against excessively (more than is needed to restrain them) - or suspected to have been - to dissuade repeat offences or to make an example of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

davo2001 wrote: »
    What prison do you work in? (if you can say).

Do you agree with how well murders and criminal in general are treated in prison in this country? ie: TV in rooms, short sentences for horrible crimes etc.

I work in a well known Dublin prison, I'll leave it there but you'll figure it out I'm sure. TV's in cells are the best thing to happen on prisons according to some of the more senior staff. Suicide rates have dropped drastically as the televisions occupy the minds and time of an inmate who is locked behind the door with nothing but his thoughts. The TV keeps him happy/occupied and also gives him something to talk about in the yards etc eg discussion news, sports with others and generally normalises life. If he's behind a door watching a wall, to me, he may as we'll be watching a screen. As for treatment of prisoners, we're not there to punish them, their punishment is loss of liberty. I treat them as I find them. Civil and mannerly until they give me a reason not to, then it's just direct orders.

Are some prisons like hotels?

The Dochas Center ie Mountjoy Females could be compared to a Travelodge in all honesty. For some perspective, it referred to not as a prison but a 'center'. The inmates are called 'women' rather than prisoners and they reside in a 'room' of a 'house' rather than a cell on a landing. All rooms have their own showers and TV's and here's the most surprising fact, the women have their own keys during the day.

Shelton Abbey in Co Wicklow is what's known as an Open Prison and is situated in a nice forest just outside Arklow. It's on lush green grounds and the interior resembles a college dorm or hostel more than a prison. This place is run on an honour system as there is literally a gate the lads can walk out. When you approach you are greeted with a sign saying "Welcome to Shelton Abbey, gate may be closed". May be... In a prison. You couldn't make it up.

In general the hotel thing is exaggerated. Unless people are staying in some seriously dingy spots!

Has an inmate ever attempted to assault you?

Not specifically targeted myself but I have been involved in quote a few altercations including a very serious riot where staff were hospitalised.

Is it possible to join the Prison service without a leaving cert. Are they actively recruiting at the moment

It is. You can get in on relevant 'life experience' in place of a leaving cert. However, the service is gone in a more academic direction since the mid 2000's and all recruits are simultaneous students who will compete a Level 6 FETAC course in Custodial Care throughout their probationary period. The course is done over semesters lasting 2years and involves long distance study. You learn things such as psychology, criminology and legal matters.

The Irish Prison Service (IPS) is not currently recruiting Officers at present but check irishjobs.ie as that's where announcements of future campaigns are posted.

otron wrote: »
    Is it true that Heroin is what 'keeps the lid on the place' and as such, the guards tolerate it, turning a blind eye to those smuggling it in?

Not these days. That may have been the case under previous regimes but now all prisoners are subject to Mandatory Drug Testing (MDT) and face implications if they fail them. Methadone programmes are also rolled out across the jails as are full detox classes and Narcotics anonymous often visit prisons too. To say there isn't a drug issue would be lying though. Basically, if a prisoner wants to get drugs in jail, he'll get them. Sad but true.

Personally myself, if I caught someone smuggling anything in, I'd in no way turn a blind eye. It undermines your whole job. If I smelled a bit of weed on night duty and a lad is locked up behind the door, I'd probably move on. But that's me.

Fran...pool cue... Really?

Fun fact, those scenes were portrayed as Mountjoy but were actually filmed in Kilmainham Gaol, now a museum. The vists portion was shot in Wheatfield. There were some exterior shots of the Joy though.

• Advertisement

Will you be registering with Irish Water?

Nice try Minister.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement