Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Car Salesman

• 05-02-2018 2:09pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a car salesman working for a premium dealer. He has worked for a range of dealerships over the past 10 years and is happy to answer any questions about the car sales business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Will you do me a good deal on a mondeo estate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

hi carsalesman
    what is the best marquee you've sold?
    how can i get a few euros :) off the price of a car?
    most cars you've sold in a day?
    what's a typical day from start to finish for a car salesman?
    any perks of the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If you told the truth about a car would you suddenly explode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How much commission does a sales person make on the typical deal ? Do you get extra if they use in house finance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

What's the worst (and/or most memorable) test drive you've ever experienced?

Ever see anyone purchase a shiny new car only to ding it as soon as they're driving it off the lot?

What are must-ask questions for car buyers, do you think?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Im looking at a car, its a off brand trade in that has been sent to a third party dealer. Is this unusual or something that should be setting off alarm bells?

Also have you come across much clocking? Are certain makes more resistant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What are you driving yourself these days?

When negotiating a trade-in, how often have you been duped into buying a pup?How does that affect your commission?

How does your sales patter differ when selling to men v women? Which are you better at selling to?

If you weren't selling cars, what would be your ideal job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What sort of margin do you aim for when selling on a trade in of the brand you deal in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

How many cars have you clocked this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

What do I have to do to get the best deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any chance ye'll be able to match UK prices + vrt + exchange difference, considering +100,000 cars are expected to be imported this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Have you any advice for someone purchasing either a new or second hand car in relation to how they should negotiate a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What if anything car be done to remove the perception of car salesmen being rogues?
    Does this perception (highlighted in some of the previous questions) annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Why do manufacturers care about market share and being number one etc?
    Surely selling more cars at no margin is a waste.
    Also do importers give dealers big bonuses based on number of units sold meaning that you will sometimes sell a car at no profit to get a manufacturer bonus?
    Is the majority of income for a car sales person commission based ?

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep I'm a Car Salesman, AMA

Our next guest is a car salesman working for a premium dealer. He has worked for a range of dealerships over the past 10 years and is happy to answer any questions about the car sales business.

Thanks Niamh, I will respond to all questions as quickly as I can. This is our busy time of year so during the day tends to be a very busy.

I will answer as many questions as I can, I will not go in to exact specifics but will give as much info as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How much of a discount could i expect on a good s/h hand car if i was buying straight i.e. i bought a year old octavia with 16km for advertised price of 20k off main dealer ,sales man would not budge when the o/h was smitten by car .If i had walked out would he probably have ran out the door after me to accept €500 lower!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

Do dealers prefer cash sales for 2nd hand cars or finance arrangements?
    Is having a trade-n an advantage or disadvantage for a buyer?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

VRT is clearly a sore subject for anyone looking for a car in this country.

Do you think that because of it, people are more inclined to shop outside of the state, either up north or across the water for a car that they can make a decent saving on when compared to the Irish equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

why are many salespeople so unhelpful when you want to order a car with some options on it. While looking for a new car two years ago, I visited 6 dealers for three different brands, fully prepared to drop close to 80k on a new 4x4 , every single time I asked for a build to be priced up for me and an official quote done, fully loaded with all the options , I was either told they were not interested, options list unavailable or 'ill give you a call next week'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have two questions ...

1) Why is it that I usually know more about the car I'm looking for in terms of spec, options, performance etc. than the salesman does, after spending only a few hours researching it on the internet? I realise it can get pretty complex, but it is your job to know your own product after all.

2) This might be an Irish thing, as most other new cars I've bought in Germany and Netherlands, but why is it considered such a crazy thing to want to order a car with exactly the options I want rather than be pressured into buying one that they've already imported and have sitting in a disused airfield somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who gains most from PCP finance plans?

Do you think it's exorbitant, the amount cars depreciate?

Will you do me a good deal on a mondeo estate :D

I don’t want the use this thread to sell cars I want to use it to answer some of the common questions people have about the job but I can certainly give advice
    hi carsalesman
    what is the best marquee you've sold?
    how can i get a few euros :) off the price of a car?
    most cars you've sold in a day?
    what's a typical day from start to finish for a car salesman?
    any perks of the job?

1, I have not sold any super cars but a number of the prestigious brands
    2, best advice would be honest and most sales people will work with you to try get a deal everyone is happy with. Contrary to the stereo type sales people are not out to rob you.
    3, 6 cars in a day
    4, There really is not a typical day and that’s what I like most about it, every day is different and you never know what you are going to be doing or who you will meet
    5, perks of the job for me doing something I enjoy, driving nice cars and ability to make good money

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If you told the truth about a car would you suddenly explode

No, I think this is why this thread will be good to help eliminate this type of stereotypes

Tzardine wrote: »
    How much commission does a sales person make on the typical deal ? Do you get extra if they use in house finance ?

Most car sales are targeted as a % of the profit earned so every deal could be different. Yes the dealership receives a commission for selling finance on behalf of the finance company which in turn the sales person gets a % of
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    What's the worst (and/or most memorable) test drive you've ever experienced?

Ever see anyone purchase a shiny new car only to ding it as soon as they're driving it off the lot?

What are must-ask questions for car buyers, do you think?

1, I think the worst tend to be people wanting to show off and pretend they are testing the speed and handling of a car when there is no need to

2, yes I saw a customer once driving out of the dealership take the turn too tight a scratch the side of their new car off a bollard out the front

3, I think confirming what you are getting is the most important, there is so much info on the internet not all of which is true so it can be easy to think you are getting something you are not

M5 wrote: »
    Im looking at a car, its a off brand trade in that has been sent to a third party dealer. Is this unusual or something that should be setting off alarm bells?

Also have you come across much clocking? Are certain makes more resistant?

No this is quiet a common thing in the industry. Quiet often a third party dealer can pay more for a non brand trade in because they have smaller over heads than a main dealer. To ask the same price the main dealer may have to give less money for a trade in

No I have never personally come across it, I have heard stories but never first hand. I think it is nearly a thing of the past because there are too many ways to check mileage, mainly through computerised service records. Saying that like anything if someone really wants to do it they will find a way
    What are you driving yourself these days?

When negotiating a trade-in, how often have you been duped into buying a pup?How does that affect your commission?

How does your sales patter differ when selling to men v women? Which are you better at selling to?

If you weren't selling cars, what would be your ideal job?

1, I have the “perk” of driving cars from the dealership so it could change daily
    2, yes the biggest thing for me starting out was realising most people are changing there car for a reason and a lot of the time because there is something wrong with their car. People are reluctant to tell you this because they want to get more for their car. As most car sales people work on a % of profit if they get a pup then yes this will affect commission
    3, personally mine does not change from men to women, each person you meet is different. I don’t believe a man or woman should be differently because of their gender
    4, that is a tough question because I enjoy what I do and I enjoy dealing with people so don’t know what else I would / could pick
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    What sort of margin do you aim for when selling on a trade in of the brand you deal in?

Generally €1,500
    frash wrote: »
    How many cars have you clocked this week?

None this week or any week
    Harika wrote: »
    What do I have to do to get the best deal?

Be honest with the person you are dealing with and also keep them honest by checking what they are telling you is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What do you think of PCP and what incentives are you getting to sell it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any chance ye'll be able to match UK prices + vrt + exchange difference, considering +100,000 cars are expected to be imported this year?

Probably not mainly because we are in business to make money. Yes we can buy these cars to and sell them but we will have overheads and want to make money
    Have you any advice for someone purchasing either a new or second hand car in relation to how they should negotiate a good deal?

Research what they are looking for. Check offers from similar brands if a new car and check the competitors and market value if a used car
    What if anything car be done to remove the perception of car salesmen being rogues?
    Does this perception (highlighted in some of the previous questions) annoy you?

I think it is naturally evolving and I am hoping this thread may help. Yes this perception does annoy me because I take pride in what I do and my profession and so do my colleagues. I think the days of “rogues” are numbered because you can no check and verify everything you are told from various sources such as the internet
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    Why do manufacturers care about market share and being number one etc?
    Surely selling more cars at no margin is a waste.
    Also do importers give dealers big bonuses based on number of units sold meaning that you will sometimes sell a car at no profit to get a manufacturer bonus?
    Is the majority of income for a car sales person commission based ?

It’s all manufacturers really care about and some will do anything to get there, all you have to do is look at the amount of cars some manufacturers register the end of each month.

Yes a large amount of a dealerships sales bonus will come from an end of year bonus importers/manufacturers pay for hitting certain numbers. This means yes sometimes it makes sense to sell cars at a very small margin or even a loss.

Yes the majority is driven around commission meaning income can be seasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Have you ever apologised to the lads in service that regularly have to deal with the fallout caused by salesmen making bull**** claims at the time of sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Whata your basic salary and your sales bonus ?

cute geoge wrote: »
    How much of a discount could i expect on a good s/h hand car if i was buying straight i.e. i bought a year old octavia with 16km for advertised price of 20k off main dealer ,sales man would not budge when the o/h was smitten by car .If i had walked out would he probably have ran out the door after me to accept €500 lower!!!

Depends on the car and also how it is priced relative to its condition and the competition. Some dealers will prepare to the highest standards and give nor more than €500 off. On average I would say €1,000 off
    Do dealers prefer cash sales for 2nd hand cars or finance arrangements?
    Is having a trade-n an advantage or disadvantage for a buyer?
    Cheers.

Depends on the dealer in question, some smaller dealers will prefer cash deals as it will help with their cash flow. Some larger dealers will prefer finance because they receive commission for it.

Again depends on trade in, if a dealer can make money ie is a very sought after car it can be advantage for a buyer
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    VRT is clearly a sore subject for anyone looking for a car in this country.

Do you think that because of it, people are more inclined to shop outside of the state, either up north or across the water for a car that they can make a decent saving on when compared to the Irish equivalent?

Yes if you look at the amount of VRT and VAT contained in the price of some cars it makes it cheaper to look else where which is not good for anyone
    why are many salespeople so unhelpful when you want to order a car with some options on it. While looking for a new car two years ago, I visited 6 dealers for three different brands, fully prepared to drop close to 80k on a new 4x4 , every single time I asked for a build to be priced up for me and an official quote done, fully loaded with all the options , I was either told they were not interested, options list unavailable or 'ill give you a call next week'

There is no simple answer to this, unfortunately there are sales people who only want the easy sales and don’t want to put the effort in required for things like this
    Alun wrote: »
    I have two questions ...

1) Why is it that I usually know more about the car I'm looking for in terms of spec, options, performance etc. than the salesman does, after spending only a few hours researching it on the internet? I realise it can get pretty complex, but it is your job to know your own product after all.

2) This might be an Irish thing, as most other new cars I've bought in Germany and Netherlands, but why is it considered such a crazy thing to want to order a car with exactly the options I want rather than be pressured into buying one that they've already imported and have sitting in a disused airfield somewhere?

1, It can be hard to keep up with all of the changes as technology is constantly changing and some times manufacturers don’t even tell you so we have to research like you to find out. Yes you are right it is our job to know this

2, Two things really here, 1, it is easier to sell from what is in “stock”. 2, as sales people work on commission they want the sale now rather than waiting for the order and sale to go through

Not saying either of these reasons are excuses but probably why you encounter it. It’s not the way i work
    Who gains most from PCP finance plans?

Do you think it's exorbitant, the amount cars depreciate?

If done properly the buyer, seller and dealership

Yes the more expensive the car the more it depreciates, as a business idea it’s not a good idea to buy an expensive car yet a lot of us do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Yes the more expensive the car the more it depreciates, as a business idea it’s not a good idea to buy an expensive car yet a lot of us do

Cars depreciate, where is the sweet spot when you get most bang for your money nowadays?
    Like 2013 I was told that a five year old car would be best as depreciation already took most of the value but not much repair work will be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Probably showing how little I know about car sales... Have you ever had a customer come in and get you to order in "the works"/ the most expensive customised model and then not be contactable afterwards or decide to buy elsewhere?

Is it very competitive in your dealership as to which salesman gets the most sales? Is there much of a turnover of salesman there due to people not being able to cut it?

What's the longest that you've gone without selling a car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement