Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancelling Payment Protection - MBNA CC

• 19-09-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I´ve been paying Payment Protection on my credit card for the last few years, and basically I want to cancel it. In my current situation it makes no sense to have it. I just want to check what the process is to cancel this? And also, if they will give me a hard time for it. I´m working in a different country now and in a different job, I want to keep my credit card with the same limit I currently have but I don´t want to pay the payment protection every month. Any replies greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ring them first. Tell them you want to cancel it. They will normally ask for it in writing like most bank's. Get the address from them to send the letter and ask them once they recieve the letter how long does it take to cancel. Then just write/type a letter with your name and address card number on it, Saying 'I wish to cancel my payment protection on card number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. All they will need is the 16 digit number on the front. Sign and date it. Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mask wrote: »
    Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.
    Can't stress this one enough!!! It might be a good idea for you to ask them to send you something in writing too, to confirm it's cancelled. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Mask wrote: »
    Ring them first. Tell them you want to cancel it. They will normally ask for it in writing like most bank's. Get the address from them to send the letter and ask them once they recieve the letter how long does it take to cancel. Then just write/type a letter with your name and address card number on it, Saying 'I wish to cancel my payment protection on card number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. All they will need is the 16 digit number on the front. Sign and date it. Make sure and ring to confirm its canceled then check your statement to be sure.

Thanks very much. I´ll pretty much follow your advice to a tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

cancelled it a year or two back on MBNA. did it over the phone. They didn't need it in writing, but they did wrangle with me for 20minutes telling me I needed it. Was exhausting but finally they accepted I didn't want it.
    Let us know if they require it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

100gSoma wrote: »
    cancelled it a year or two back on MBNA. did it over the phone. They didn't need it in writing, but they did wrangle with me for 20minutes telling me I needed it. Was exhausting but finally they accepted I didn't want it.
    Let us know if they require it in writing.

Me too. They will try and talk you into keeping it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Just got it cancelled. They tried there best to convince me to stay with it but I just kept saying no. As someone above mentioned a call was all that was necessary. Oh, and it takes 30 days to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Thanks for the follow up. Good they only needed a phone call.
    Make sure its canceled when you get your statement after the 30 days.

Advertisement