Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Annabella Glamorous Helicopter

Not a bargain alert as such, more just advice don't go to Primark in Belfast
    The building has gone as of today. Major fire, structure now unsound.

otC6DHu.png

Likely £m's worth of stock, and sadly dozens upon dozens of jobs all up in smoke in their megastore.

Not a bargain alert as such, more just advice don't go to Primark in Belfast
    The building has gone as of today. Major fire, structure now unsound.

otC6DHu.png

Likely £m's worth of stock, and sadly dozens upon dozens of jobs all up in smoke in their megastore.

Very sad for all affected. Only small comfort is no reports of any loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    GBP has fallen to 90p, that's a nine-month low.

GBP fallen back through 90p today.

89 pence reached today, that is a 3-month low for the GBP, and not far from the 6-month low of 90.4p in Jan 2019.

89 pence reached today, that is a 3-month low for the GBP, and not far from the 6-month low of 90.4p in Jan 2019.

Will likely be 92.00 before too long (month or two), and still a while to go before halloween, when things get creepy with a hard exit.

Maybe 2009's 95.0 might show up later in the year?

• Advertisement

GBP fell below 90p today, lowest in six months.

90.34 pence today.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

The year low is 90.68p, on 28-Aug 2018.

The five year low is 92.9 pence, reached briefly during Aug 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just a heads up for anybody heading north for a bit of shopping. Some of the larger stores have stopped accepting euros (cash) but will still accept euro cards. Argos, Boots and Medicare so far with rumours Asda to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Had first hand experience of that last week.

I was also told that Asda have notices up stating they wont be accepting Euros (cash) after a specific date but Im not sure of the date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What sort of exchange rate do they give you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hogzy wrote: »
    What sort of exchange rate do they give you?
    It varies. Some will give a rate of €1 = anything between £0.85 to £0.90. It can vary daily depending on the actual exchange rates in the banks while the likes of Asda pick a rate on a Monday and stick with it for the rest of the week.

There are shops you can go into, especially those close to the border, where you can buy in Sterling or Euro...items are priced in both currencies. Other shops would take your notes, apply the exchange rate and you could get your change in either sterling or euros depending on their policy. For example you could go into a convenience store and buy something for £7 as an example. You hand over a €10 note and one store will state that your tenner is worth £9 sterling and proceed to hand you back £2 in change. But another store will take your €10 note and tell you that your £7 purchase works out at €7.80 and will then give you €2.20 in change.

It can be a wee bit confusing if you're not used shopping in N.I. but you get to know who works what way so you end up being prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In case it might help someone, afaik Jack & Jones stores in NI give €1 = £1.

Well, the one in Derry does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭horse7

Does The Outlet in Banbridge take Irish money ,also do they have a bureau de change like Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

horse7 wrote: »
    Does The Outlet in Banbridge take Irish money ,also do they have a bureau de change like Newry?

Id recommend getting a revolut card and avail of best exchange rates.

It's a pre pay debit card with no charges only if you withdraw more then €200 cash from ATM in a month.

You can apply on your phone you will be walked through set up and you will save a lot of money.

Thanks, I wouldn't get the use out of it for the annual government tax and delivery charge. Is there free delivery possible at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was visiting family in yorkshire a couple of weeks ago and found sainsburys dont take N26 cards.

so ended up paying about 4% more for my fuel (had no cash ) with my ulsterbank card with there various random new charges.

didnt have any money on the revolut card so didnt try that, had no problem in any other shop did a grocery shop in morrisons and got a 1.1163 exchange rate on that using N26.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks, I wouldn't get the use out of it for the annual government tax and delivery charge. Is there free delivery possible at any stage?

There's no annual government charge, only the standard 12c charge each time you happen to use the card in an ATM in the Republic of Ireland.

Install the app and open an account, it's free, and after a few weeks you should get a message offering you a free card with free delivery. Alternatively, if you've a Vodafone customer, there's a link in the My Vodafone app to open an account and get a free card and some free credit.

90.34 pence today.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

The year low is 90.68p, on 28-Aug 2018.

The five year low is 92.9 pence, reached briefly during Aug 2017.

Big falls in GBP since last Thur, down 2.5 pence over three trading days.

At 91.5 pence today.

Will likely be 92.00 before too long (month or two), and still a while to go before halloween, when things get creepy with a hard exit.

Maybe 2009's 95.0 might show up later in the year?

Maybe 95 was an under-estimate, it's falling by the hour at this stage (91.5 today), and Boris has gone all gung-ho visiting New Alba and Wales, telling them that all is swell. Tell that to the sheep in the valleys who are looking at a mass cull.

Quackster wrote: »
    There's no annual government charge, only the standard 12c charge each time you happen to use the card in an ATM in the Republic of Ireland.

Install the app and open an account, it's free, and after a few weeks you should get a message offering you a free card with free delivery. Alternatively, if you've a Vodafone customer, there's a link in the My Vodafone app to open an account and get a free card and some free credit.

Thanks,I thought there was 5€ stamp duty on a debit card. Unfortunately I'm 086 number, could I get someone with vodophone to apply for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Thanks,I thought there was 5€ stamp duty on a debit card. Unfortunately I'm 086 number, could I get someone with vodophone to apply for me.

No idea. Worth a try anyway. Here are the direct links:

http://www.vodafonepostpaidrevolut.com/
    http://www.vodafoneprepaidrevolut.com/

0.92389 today, 0.925 likely very (very) shortly.
    The only way is up, as Yazz once said.

92.8 pence today, main ECB rate.

The 5yr low/high is 92.965p, so we are practically there.

The 10yr low is 94 pence.

0.92389 today, 0.925 likely very (very) shortly.
    The only way is up, as Yazz once said.

Ah get outta here with your songs- that's stuck in me head now :(
    :P

I wonder would anywhere in Newry, like Sainsburys, be doing a £1 for EUR1 soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its at .9335 now on xe

Its at .9335 now on xe
    0.93859!, and Oct31 is still some time away. Can forsee hard times for the uk in the near future, well until that is when the US can organise a buy out trade deal.

The big question is when will it exceed parity?

So in the last 48hrs the uk has:
    • Posted (0.2) negative growth in the last Q, another result like that and they're in an official 'brexecession'.
    • Exerienced severe flight chaos from their golden airliner (BA)
    • Large scale network & rail power blackouts, aka 'black friday'
    • Cop had axe-head-implant (luckily recovered) on their lawless streets.
    • Teenage thugs on cycles punch at strangers (even pensioners), as the ride through an Asda store pulling wheelies.
    • Latest Junes '19 stats sees violent crime peak for the year, at 160,000 incidents for E&W.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

92.6 on Revolut today, interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

Anywhere doing euro for pound yet in Newry etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭paska

HairMare wrote: »
    Anywhere doing euro for pound yet in Newry etc ?

Saw one clothes shop in the Buttercrane shopping center with a sign in the window yesterday.

• Advertisement

paska wrote: »
    Saw one clothes shop in the Buttercrane shopping center with a sign in the window yesterday.

Bring it on- NI here we come...

Advertisement