Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ground asafoetida

• 03-07-2006 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

hi
    Anyone know where i could get this in Dublin? I tried 2 of the Asian stores in town and no joy. I have a few recipes that include it.
    Cheers!
    Dara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

hi
    Anyone know where i could get this in Dublin? I tried 2 of the Asian stores in town and no joy. I have a few recipes that include it.
    Cheers!
    Dara

The Asian Market on Mary St. should have it, try asking them for hingh.

Madinah on Moore St, should also have it.
    I'd be surprised if you didn't find it in either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

I put it in a recipe once that called for it, it was bloody horrible. The pack I bought (While living in Ingerland) never saw the light of day again.

Just looked it up, This will explain why my curry tasted like $hit (Literally) LOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It does stink something terrible, that's true, but in fairness you only use tiny amounts of it, a 'pinch' or so. I seem to remember some daal recipes I have use it when you're frying spices in oil to chuck into the daal mixture. Can't say it made my daal taste like sh!t TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If you use too much it destroys a meal.

The only purpose of hingh is to stop you farting from all the veggies, you can just as easily do without it, it isn't a seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The only purpose of hingh is to stop you farting from all the veggies.

Mrs Billy will be delighted to hear that.
    She'll be getting me to put it in all my curries from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I bought a packet from one of the Indian/Pakistani food shops up near Camden lock at the top of Wexford St. Use sparingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Wannabe Deise

hi
    thanks for input. I found it in "Down to Earth" on George's street. Small packet for 6 odd euro.
    Cheers
    Wannabe

Advertisement