Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men who inspire you to age well

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Various factors that make a man age well. Keeping most of your hair, and being slim are more important than facial wrinkles. If you are also good looking as a young man then that's another factor. I've picked out three examples and I'd say the only one that would cause disagreement is no.2 given that many people can't bring themselves to say a good word about the guy.

1) Noel Gallagher. Slim and compact even "boyish" looking with an amazing head of hair for a man in his fifties or any age. Fairly craggy face but actually looks better than he did 25 years ago when he had a fatter face. Was/is a smoker who did a lot of drugs and drinking.

2) Liam Gallagher. Hair not as good as his brother's hair, some thinning. Still very good for mid 40s. A good looking man in his youth and still is as he hasn't gotten fat and covered his facial feature with bloat. Was/is a smoker who did a lot of drugs and drinking.

3) JJ Burnel from the Stranglers. In his mid sixties now and has degraded a bit but when he was in his late 40s when the below was filmed he looked nowhere near his age IMO. I don't know if he smoked or did drugs etc. High level martial artist. I think he was considered good looking also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 CulptPrit

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Various factors that make a man age well. Keeping most of your hair, and being slim are more important than facial wrinkles. If you are also good looking as a young man then that's another factor.
    Cillain Murphy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Brregzit

Elon Musk
    Cristiano Ronaldo

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Entitled

A good friend of mine who is in his 40s but manages to pull women in their 20s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Enrique Iglesias

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Asian Scammer

Jared Leto

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stallone buying some wine in a store, looking pretty sharp for a guy in his 70's

sylvester-stallone-seen-buying-whiskey-at-compliment-wine-shop-on-06-picture-id508800728?s=612x612

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Never thought I'd say this, but......Arnold Schwarzenegger.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say this, but......Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    He's not fooling anyone with that hair dye!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Stallone buying some wine in a store, looking pretty sharp for a guy in his 70's

sylvester-stallone-seen-buying-whiskey-at-compliment-wine-shop-on-06-picture-id508800728?s=612x612

Stallone is in better shape than most people half his age.

sylvester-stallone-six-pack-belly.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Brad Pitt. thought he looked like a Robert Redford back in the day in Once Upon A Time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Patient11 wrote: »

All natural - just hard work and good genes........and maybe the odd visit to mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

BrianD3 wrote: »

1) Noel Gallagher. Slim and compact even "boyish" looking with an amazing head of hair for a man in his fifties or any age. Fairly craggy face but actually looks better than he did 25 years ago when he had a fatter face. Was/is a smoker who did a lot of drugs and drinking.

He has a gym in his home and obviously uses it.
    He’s as hot as hell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All natural - just hard work and good genes........and maybe the odd visit to mexico

Good genes, I dunno about that. He's just the best version of himself, something most of us are not.
    His hair transplant is epic, he had no hairline 10 years ago, plus he is working out again, which at some point he stopped maybe 15 years ago, he was fat and had a chubby face.
    Him and Arnie are hitting the gym daily now. Also using fillers in face to keep that firm look.

Arnold is 72 and look at him. An inspiration

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good genes, I dunno about that. He's just the best version of himself, something most of us are not.
    True and it takes a lot of hard work, though you missed MM's comment about "trips to Mexico". Stallone was caught and charged with bringing human growth hormone into Australia.
    Like I say it takes unreal amounts of dedication over a lifetime to achieve a physique like that, never mind to sustain it, but men well into or past middle age with that kind of a body are - and make no mistake about it - getting medical "help" to do so. TBH I have little enough issue with that and think if someone wants to do that, work away and it's better and safer if it's out in the open and under medical supervision. What I do have an issue with is some giving the impression that results like that are all gym and diet based, when clearly they're not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

Marty Morrissey isn't looking bad for his age I think you'll all agree?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Jean Parisot de Valette of the Knight Hospitaller. He actively lead, as a 60 year old, his men in the Siege of Malta facing ten to one odds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Parisot_de_Valette

I'm not sure what year that was from. This photo I've attached was from 2017, and apart from the hair dye and transplant, if you look closely you'll see he doesn't look much different from any man at 70/71 years of age. He looks like a hideous version of Elvis actually!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hollywood actors aren’t an ideal comparison because they are cosseted, keep fit, have the means to keep in shape (well, we all do, but it’s easier with them with personal trainers, nutritionists, yoga experts, etc) but if I had to pick a few -

Brad Pitt - superb at 55.
    George Clooney - has grown into his looks.
    Sean Connery - ok, he’s nearly 90, but looked great in his 50s and 60s.
    Matt Damon - very hard to believe he is nearly 49 years of age.
    Leonardo DiCaprio - like Clooney, gets better looking with age. Was a pretty boy but has matured into a very handsome 44 year old. We are only a few short months apart in age.
    Ryan Phillipe - another former pretty boy who has matured into a very good looking man. Also the same age as me.

My neighbour who lives in the apartment on the top floor - worked in a field related to mine, is in incredible shape for 73, cycles to Howth and Dalkey from the north west inner Dublin suburbs most weekends, is razor sharp in intellect and has excellent taste in film and music.

I’d be doing very well if I was like him in 29 years’ time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Manach wrote: »
    Jean Parisot de Valette of the Knight Hospitaller. He actively lead, as a 60 year old, his men in the Siege of Malta facing ten to one odds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Parisot_de_Valette

I led troops into battle at 10 to 1 odds myself, during the Horse Fair Siege of 2012.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    True and it takes a lot of hard work, though you missed MM's comment about "trips to Mexico".
    Are you saying he gets the hormones in Mexico?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Patrick Stewart (aka Captain Jean Luc Picard) is another man who aged very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart (aka Captain Jean Luc Picard) is another man who aged very well.
    Or has he always looked old?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

I'm not sure what year that was from. This photo I've attached was from 2017, and apart from the hair dye and transplant, if you look closely you'll see he doesn't look much different from any man at 70/71 years of age. He looks like a hideous version of Elvis actually!

Its not a hair transplant its a wig.

A hair transplant would not give the thickness Stallone has.

Also if it was a transplant his hair line would not change so often.

bullet_to_the_head_sylvester_stallone_06.jpeg

Its not a hair transplant its a wig.
    That was just a technicality in the overall point I was making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

Harry Connick Jr

Richard Dawkins looked great for his age at 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4w1UsOafQ

Does look his age now though.

Advertisement