Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dream!

• 24-04-2016 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, just throwing this out there for a few opinions.

I am extremely interested in farming although we don't have any land ourselves. My dream is to have 20 or 30 acres and a few cattle, just as a past time really. I would also have an off farm job.
    At the moment I work full time and I also have a part time job although it will be finishing up soon. I am a regular saver with a view to buy suitable land if it came up in suitable location. If I buy land I probably won't be able to afford a house. Conversely, if I buy a house there aint no money left for land!
    So is this just a pipe dream or is it realistic?! I don't really have any interests outside of farming and I don't imagine I will be getting married anytime soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hi folks, just throwing this out there for a few opinions.

I am extremely interested in farming although we don't have any land ourselves. My dream is to have 20 or 30 acres and a few cattle, just as a past time really. I would also have an off farm job.
    At the moment I work full time and I also have a part time job although it will be finishing up soon. I am a regular saver with a view to buy suitable land if it came up in suitable location. If I buy land I probably won't be able to afford a house. Conversely, if I buy a house there aint no money left for land!
    So is this just a pipe dream or is it realistic?! I don't really have any interests outside of farming and I don't imagine I will be getting married anytime soon

You could always buy a house and rent a few acres to see how you fair out to feed your interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

I know of three different lads that started out the same, all three rent farms and run between 30-50 sucklers the larger lad finishing all stock. It can be done but it takes serious dedication. The main issue was to get something local. One lad was travelling an hour each way in the evenings to look after his stock but he has it streamlined with everything hired in except feeding. He only feeds hay as well so he can load up feed faces for a few days in a row. Buys in all replacements and they have to be huge so a better chance of calving down themselves and keeps everything very simple otherwise.

Advertisement