Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

tharmor wrote: »
    Will this work on a monitor with HDMI support ??

It should do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Pizzle wrote: »
    It should do.

Do we need to have a tv license to use it with a monitor ??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

tharmor wrote: »
    Do we need to have a tv license to use it with a monitor ??

Its not picking up a tv signal, so no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Its not picking up a tv signal, so no

I wouldn't be so sure. I think that if you can view streamed content from the likes of BBC iPlayer, then it is not exempted. Or maybe that's the loophole that will be fixed in the upcoming budget changes to the licence.

Also, if the inspector wanted to be pissy, and your monitor has space for a TVtuner card, he could claim that it's the same as a broken TV (which requires a licence) or that he thinks you could use a STB with it and rabbit ears, etc.etc.

It's a grey area and you could end up in front of a judge quick enough.

Pique wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. I think that if you can view streamed content from the likes of BBC iPlayer, then it is not exempted. Or maybe that's the loophole that will be fixed in the upcoming budget changes to the licence.

Also, if the inspector wanted to be pissy, and your monitor has space for a TVtuner card, he could claim that it's the same as a broken TV (which requires a licence) or that he thinks you could use a STB with it and rabbit ears, etc.etc.

It's a grey area and you could end up in front of a judge quick enough.

Using a monitor which is connected to a PC ?? I dont think so !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NellyMcD

This looks really interesting.
    But i'm mightily confused with all these newfangled gizmos. I'm generation X, not a skinny-jeaned milllenial so barely know what netflix is, :D:pac: so be kind.

Seriously though, we're talking about streaming content from Chrome browser (have) from a smartphone (i have)/tablet (have)/PC with Windows 7 (have) to a hd TV (not sure if i have, how do i check this, i have a hdmi slot on my TV).

But where is the content from.
    What app do i need to install.
    Or is it an addon for Chrome.
    Is it free (It's Google so i'm hoping yes).
    What cool stuff do you recommend to stream (movie services, music etc) with this.

I need to lie down. :pac:

*The content comes from various sources including Youtube, Netflix and streaming your own videos etc. Google search will elaborate.
    *You get an 'add-on' for the chrome browser (it's explained when you set-up the Chromecast)
    *Is it free? It depends. For example, Netflix costs, Youtube doesn't.
    *Spotify is supported. That means free music, with some limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Had high hopes for this was hoping it would mirror chrome browser streaming video pity it does so very poorly unwatchable , is there any way to work around this? Could be great device as have netbook with no HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Had high hopes for this was hoping it would mirror chrome browser streaming video pity it does so very poorly unwatchable , is there any way to work around this? Could be great device as have netbook with no HDMI.

Nop, browser streaming to the Chromecast relies on the computer your streaming from to have the power to create a video stream and stream it to the Chromecast. Its only really useful for mirroring text/webpages etc. not streaming from other sites. Maybe in the future it will get better?

Think of the "Cast this tab to..." (which is in BETA) as a nice extra feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

btw, Videostream rocks streaming files to the Chromecast like MKV files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Could be great device as have netbook with no HDMI.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en&ref_topic=4599578 You need a decent cpu and decent video encoding hardware accelleration.

• Advertisement

They have released sdk so most apps will be cast compatible in near future..

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Screen mirroring coming soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That will be class

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

When you cast the desktop to your TV screen and play streaming video from within Chrome browser, will it play both audio and video on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Corholio wrote: »
    When you cast the desktop to your TV screen and play streaming video from within Chrome browser, will it play both audio and video on the TV?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Can it play avi or mkv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

newwan wrote: »
    Can it play avi or mkv?

Depends on what you use to play them but yeah. I use plex and its grand. Videostream is also available

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes

Thanks for the reply.

I seemed to have read earlier in the thread that when it casts streaming video from Chrome, it can be quite choppy and poor quality when played on the tv unless the comp cpu is quite fast etc, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭MillField

Was using one this evening to stream a match from chrome works really well to be fair.

Corholio wrote:
    I seemed to have read earlier in the thread that when it casts streaming video from Chrome, it can be quite choppy and poor quality when played on the tv unless the comp cpu is quite fast etc, is this true?

yes....thats true since your computer transcodes it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

Chromecast works. I got one for €40 when it first came out in Argos last year, then just before Christmas I 'treated' myself to the Apple TV (€79) I thought I'd always wanted. I'm an apple fan (ipad, MacBook, iphone, in fact several generations) so I thought I was just adding to the family when the price dropped.
    Long story short, Chromecast is better. Sure, your atv mirrors apps onto the tv, but this drains the phone battery & you can't use the phone for anything else. You can't mirror sky go anyway. For everything else, there's Chromecast. I'm only typing this as atv annoyed me yesterday. I tried to watch rte player from my MacBook through atv to my tv. It stuttered every 3 secs so it was unwatchable. I never have this issue with Chromecast. So it's the same laptop but different performance. Definitely worth buying the Chromecast for €40 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,578 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Chromecast must be one of the best products of all time. It really is fantastic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I want to buy one of these today, where's the best/cheapest place to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I want to buy one of these today, where's the best/cheapest place to get one?

Only place i can find them is pc world /currys. 39 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

amor3 wrote: »
    Only place i can find them is pc world /currys. 39 euro.

Cheers, going to pick one up now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Chromecast must be one of the best products of all time. It really is fantastic.

We love ours.
    We mostly use it for Netflix & YouTube, but its very handy for other things.

Casting the devices screen to the TV is great if you are showing people photos.... or if you want to show something on the browser or app.
    You can cast games to the TV, kids get a kick out of 42-inch boom beach/clash of clans.

Even the standby mode is good.... It streams fantastic images from NASA/Google Earth/Works of art.
    Or you can slideshow images you've uploaded to Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I found a big limitation, I cannot get surround sound on Netflix as the Netflix app only does Dolby Digital Plus or stereo. The problem is that the Chromecast does not play or passthrough any Dolby formats as Google don't pay Dolby for a licence, the Netflix app bypasses this by passing Dolby Digital Plus straight to the receiver. This is not supported on my Logitech Z5500s so I get stereo. Dolby Digital Plus is backward compatible with Dolby Digital but will not work over optical, HDMI only.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I found a big limitation, I cannot get surround sound on Netflix as the Netflix app only does Dolby Digital Plus or stereo. The problem is that the Chromecast does not play or passthrough any Dolby formats as Google don't pay Dolby for a licence, the Netflix app bypasses this by passing Dolby Digital Plus straight to the receiver. This is not supported on my Logitech Z5500s so I get stereo. Dolby Digital Plus is backward compatible with Dolby Digital but will not work over optical, HDMI only.

But for the vast majority of users, with a regular TV & a HDMI connection, this isn't an issue.

Advertisement