Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ireland news thread

• 19-06-2015 10:48am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought since the international thread works alright it might also be nice to have also a thread for general Ireland news and matches that don't warrant their own thread, such as..

the 20/20 games going on in Scotland at the moment. I had honestly no idea they were even planned. Big loss yesterday article so hopefully there is a better performance today. Interesting to see another Rankin on the team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Great debut for Tyrone Kane, 3 wickets in his first over!

All in all a bad showing yesterday though, terrible battin gin the first 10.

Will be a tough ask for this squad IMO because this is largely a full strentgh Scotland team we're playing, only Machan is a big loss to them whereas we're missing most of our team.

Really hope S Poynter steps up this series though, exciting prospect

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rained off today, next game Sunday. As bad as it for Ireland, Scotland seems to have the majority of it's games lost to bad weather, must be very frustrating

Edit: Just reading now they've scheduled a replacement game for tomorrow evening, hope it goes ahead

Good start for Ireland in the 20/20 world cup qualifiers, straightforward win against Namibia scorecard

Decent performance, bit rusty with the bat (Namibia dropped some early dollies by all accounts) but thats to be expected when you go a week without a game in this format.

PNG are the real danger in the group, Hong Kong no mugs either. USA,Jersey and Nepal shouldnt be much trouble (Nepal have one batsman,Khadka, get him and you're set)

Props to John Mooney on his excellent spell too

Another win vs the US, 46 runs victory.

Batting seems a but rusty still but the bowlers are stepping up so far which is good to see

• Advertisement

Looking at the 2 groups, it definitely looks like we ended up in the easier one

Yeah agree.

Scotland always look good on paper but always bottle it in pressure situations, Netherlands and Afghanistan are definitely a tough test.

The real thing I hate is the format for the t20 world cup itself, we'll most likely have to beat (assuming the predicted teams qualify)

Zimbabwe,Netherlands/Scotland and one of PNG and Nepal just to face a proper full member, not an easy task

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah agree.

Scotland always look good on paper but always bottle it in pressure situations, Netherlands and Afghanistan are definitely a tough test.

The real thing I hate is the format for the t20 world cup itself, we'll most likely have to beat (assuming the predicted teams qualify)

Zimbabwe,Netherlands/Scotland and one of PNG and Nepal just to face a proper full member, not an easy task

Annoys me that this set of games are called 'T20 WC Qualifiers', though admittedly 'T20 WC Extra Group Stage Before The Main Event Actually Starts Qualifiers' would be a mouthful.
    Seems a bit of a farce though.

Huge win against Nepal today, bowled them for 53!

Excellent performance that. With the way the group is going we could afford to experiment in our last 2 games by playing S Poynter and seeing how he gets on.

Next game on Wednesday vs PNG I believe, followed by 2 live games with Hong Kong and Jersey, both of which will be on Sky.

Meanwhile in Group B Kenya got lucky with rain vs Afghanistan. Very worrying times for Scotland, if their game vs Kenya is rained off it could go down to NRR!

• Advertisement

What Sky Channel will they be on? Also any idea why cricketeurope arent allowed to do ball-by-ball commentary for this tournament? It's a pity since they are very good at it but I read that the ICC wont allow it?

Upset win for Oman against the Netherlands today too, group B is going to be very close

Netherlands and Scotland both caving at the moment. Fantastic for Oman though, 2 wins in 2 for them I think. Wide wide open that group, Kenya,Oman,Scotland,Netherlands gunning for 3 spots

Both games will be on sky sports 4 I believe. To be fair to the ICC they've done a good job giving this qualifier good exposure and more would be much appreciated.

They've banned anyone from doing live commentary at the grounds, including cricinfo, so the onlky games getting proper live comm will be the ones live on TV as they can commentate from their living room. A farce but thats how it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

To be fair to the ICC they've done a good job giving this qualifier good exposure and more would be much appreciated.
    They've banned anyone from doing live commentary at the grounds, including cricinfo, so the onlky games getting proper live comm will be the ones live on TV as they can commentate from their living room. A farce but thats how it is.

Contradiction?

Not having a go at you, CF, but there's no way anyone can say the ICC have done a good job exposing this tournament. Banning the only organisations interested in covering is bordering on lunacy.

True, I guess I'm saying that TV wise they've done pretty well, lots of live games and most teams getting some form of exposure, but online wise they're archaic.

It's a mixed bag as obviously tv coverage is great, but Cricketeurope has been the number one place for everything to do with Irish cricket for years and it really does not sit well with me seeing them getting blocked like this.

Off to a bad start against PNG, 32/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

PNG going well in chasing 124

Ireland fighting back now, PNG 76/5

Great spell from Kev Ireland to edge it I'd say

6 down

• Advertisement

8 down

I thought we had it after the 8th went down, but 2 big sixes there in the last few balls

And two more!

What a win in the end for PNG

4 6s in 7 balls :(

Thats dreadful stuff, Did so well to get them 100/8, then they blow it in an over.

Our batting has not been up to par so far this competition. Still a point clear at the top but now we're in a situation where a rained off game leaves us relying on NRR assuming one of the many sides on 3 points wins their last 2 games

Scratch that, PNG have played a game less. Wow this is a disaster.

PNG win their remaining games they top the group no matter what our results are.

And now in group B Oman have thrashed Afghanistan by 40 runs.

Now if they win their last 3 games they top the group.Likely one of Netherlands/Scotland could miss out!

PNG play Nepal,Namibia and USA in their last 3 games. Nepal are, as we saw yesterday, no great shakes. Namibia are useful (only likely team to beat PNG IMO) and the USA are poor.

So we're hoping for rain in one of PNG's games in other words, while avoiding rain in our games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

And now in group B Oman have thrashed Afghanistan by 40 runs.

Now if they win their last 3 games they top the group.Likely one of Netherlands/Scotland could miss out!

Oman prepared for the tournament by basing themselves in Cork for a fortnight and playing T20 games against various Cork/Munster selections. Fair dues to them - it's looking as though this was an excellent idea.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Awful result on so many levels. We need PNG to lose or have a rained game whilst we win everything else.

There can be no excuses not to finish top of this group.

• Advertisement

On the plus side the u19's are a win away from virtually assuring a WC spot

Advertisement