Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times article warning of dangers of DNA testing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Different companies will give different results. Why? Because their data set is the people who have sent them samples.

The question they’re really answering is ‘how do you match up with all the other fools who have sent us cash to answer that question?’.

It’s pointless. If anybody wants to know where they came from, they can just imagine back 20 or so generations to find a common ancestor for the population. Go back 35 generations and they’ll have found the complete set of common ancestors for everybody.

Because maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Odd she didn't mention Family Tree DNA who are around a long time and do not sell on DNA information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it's a weird pointed article. She doesn't mention Ancestry the company either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

She is right though.

DNA database information has value. Ancestry and other sites are making you pay for their database.

Honestly, I would never purchase one of these kits. It is only a matter of time before these databases are sold to the highest bidder.

I went into DNA testing expecting that companies would be using it for other than genealogy.
    The trade-off for me is worth. I've uncovered all sorts of connections because of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Karlin L often is correct on tech stuff but that article is not up to her usual standard. I'm too busy to get into a debate. I raised this some time ago
    HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

“Just don’t”

Great arguement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

endacl wrote: »
    If anybody wants to know where they came from, they can just imagine...

Surely you mean if anybody doesn't want to know where they came from they can just imagine back 20 or so generations?

I've spent my life imagining who my birth father is which unsurprisingly is quite unfulfilling. I'm hopeful that genetic genealogy will eventually allow me to get past the legal impediments which currently prevent me from knowing who he is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you send your DNA to the Internet you are an idiot, no exceptions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Why?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how does one get a dna kit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

NSAman wrote: »
    She is right though.

DNA database information has value. Ancestry and other sites are making you pay for their database.

Honestly, I would never purchase one of these kits. It is only a matter of time before these databases are sold to the highest bidder.

Or else health insurance providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

goat2 wrote: »
    how does one get a dna kit

Contact Big Corporation, you will find them under the evil government department.

Or google Family Tree DNA, Ancestry or 23andme.

Ok, so this post is gaining some new posters for the genealogy forum.

First, may I remind you of our charter, stickied at the top of the forum?

Secondly, we have some basic posts about DNA and genealogy here.

Also, Ash.J.Williams,this forum is concerned with genealogy and DNA is one of the major angles, so please don't disparage our regular posters by calling us idiots.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

How do you do that exactly? Spit on your modem?

Advertisement